children poisoned

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
School lunches that were provided by the schools the fish was bad. Belloso Martin Alonzo and
lo Arquie at least 60 children are sick in Belloso probably the same in Martin Alonzo I do not have
a count for Arquie there might be other schools as well.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
probably no one wanted to lose money....no lunch no pay... fkin terrible never happened to me when i was a kid frozen food came in frozen truks stayed frozen until cooked and served

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lots of fish imported into the DR comes from Asian countries that have little or no health standards. Tilapia which are herbivores are raised in ponds and fed guano from chickens. To keep the fish appearing healthy they shovel in antibiotics. I would not eat any of the imported fish. Any frozen food product I check the label. Asian source, no thanks. A while back I recall an issue with the milk served in schools. Very glad I no longer have to make the choice between starving and eating a school lunch.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DR1 News:
Food poisoning among schoolchildren in Puerto Plata province
At least 105 students at four schools in the town of Luperon are reported to have suffered food poisoning yesterday afternoon, Wednesday 26 August 2015 after eating the school lunch, according to official sources. As reported in Listin Diario, some of those affected were treated at the Villa Isabela hospital and others were taken to the public hospitals in Los Hidalgos and Luperon.
Many were promptly released and sent home. Symptoms included vomiting and diarrhea, according the directors of the medical centers where dozens of parents assembled after hearing the news.
The affected students are from the Juan Benz school in the Ama de Belloso project, the Francisco Emilio Ortega school in the municipal district of Belloso, the Edilio Polanco school in Los Arquies and the Julio Enoi Colon school in El Higo, Luperon.
The school principals reported that the children began to experience problems after eating the lunch of white rice, codfish and pigeon peas.
The Ministry of Education's regional deputy director Marisol Martinez stated that the ministry would be investigating the causes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a crime. I know a lot of the kids in our DR town refuse to eat the 'free food' because they say it tastes terrible. Some of these kids are very poor, and it may be their only available meal during school hours, but they still refuse it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
One kid "Pukes", makes 100 more "PUKE", then they claim "Contaminated Food".

Happens here all the time,
"Monkey SEE, Monkey DO"!!!!!!!!!!

No real data.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
?veryone who lives in the DR knows that the contracts to provide school meals are only given to political supporters. if you doubt me, you try to get one. most of these people have no understanding about hygienic food preparation and standards, and only got the gig because they helped get out the vote in the last election. this is a non news item. it will happen again next month, next Christmas, next New Year. nobody is going to change the rules and demand higher standards. politicians have debts to repay.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One kid "Pukes", makes 100 more "PUKE", then they claim "Contaminated Food".

Happens here all the time,
"Monkey SEE, Monkey DO"!!!!!!!!!!

No real data.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i went to boarding school with 70 other guys for 8 years, and i can not remember a single incident of a bunch of guys puking. it just never happened. these guys here were all hit by contaminated food. 60 kids do not get sick and dizzy on the same day, regardless of the monkey see concept.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm with CCCCC on that one. going home early and no classes fror few days on the account of "poisoning"? i'd be puking my guts too. it does not take much effort.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I live in Martin Alonzo and there were children taken to the hospital vomiting and diarrhea they were very sick.
I know some people want to make a joke of it but it might have killed these children we were very lucky.
The lighter side was some one who works at the school took a lot of food home and poison the whole family.
I guess you should not steal the children food

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As if u needed to fake food poisoning to skip school here......
It rains, dont go
Shirts are in the wash, dont go
Tio ( thats me :) ) needs help in the conuco, dont go

Anyway must have been some pretty strong stuff to make people ill.
I am immune to all sorts of sh.it now..... :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know some people want to make a joke of it but it might have killed these children we were very lucky.

the "poisoning" of school kids happened numerous times, no deaths so far. no need to blow it out of proportion.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
no kids poisoned either. just upset stomach. people like to make a drama out of nothing.

It's called "food poisoning" in English, doesn't mean actual poison [like rat poison] was in the food. But food poisoning can be deadly and can result in hospitalization.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most cases of food poisoning won't kill you but they often make you feel like you are going to die, or wish you were dead. Stay hydrated, use Imodium to slow the diarrhea. See the Doc if the diarrhea doesn't subside in a couple of days. Small children are usually quite resilient, especially when we used to let them go out and play and eat dirt.