Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian exchange rate here

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Maybe someone can answer this one for me here. I took DOP$12,000 from a Banco Progreso ATM one week ago and after the RD$120 fee, I calculated that I received about RD$45.01 to $1 USD.
    You got $45.01 from an ATM, when the best cash rate at the time was 44.80-44.90? Me doubthful. Post the image of the transactiom slip, something is off.

Yesterday, I used the same exact Banco Progreso ATM and withdrew the same amount RD$12,000, but this time after the $RD120 fee, the rate was not even close with RD$44.55 for $1 USD.
    This sounds like a normal rate for an atm.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    You got $45.01 from an ATM, when the best cash rate at the time was 44.80-44.90? Me doubthful. Post the image of the transactiom slip, something is off.

This sounds like a normal rate for an atm.
    Well the entire transaction came out to $269.27 on $RD12,000 and $120 ATM ($2.67) Fee-which will be rebated back to me today from my bank. So $12,000/266.6=45.01

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    A citizen of the world like you..... no Loonie in the vocab ?? Shame.

Yes, Anna - The Loonie gets a haircut
    witness Astucia paying $305 at .76 (US) and I paid 300 in April at .82.

Use US$$ - as we have said here many times.
    Your math (earlier) is correct.
    Webby - I just checked - April 28, 2015 $10,000 RD cost 279.70 CAD = 35.73.

Which would be about right @ .82, no ?

Not $300 back then.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Asty, I can tell you - I paid $295-300CAD several times in late April for 10,000.

no mistake here....
    I know it b/c I was heading back and was into my Cdn account - a rarity for me in RD

The CAD conversion usually stinks - try cash and watch what happens.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Well the entire transaction came out to $269.27 on $RD12,000 and $120 ATM ($2.67) Fee-which will be rebated back to me today from my bank. So $12,000/266.6=45.01
    Assuming you got 12,000 pesos in your hands and your account was debited $269.27, the exchange rate was 12000/269.27 = 44.56. The bank is returning you 120 pesos transaction fee as an additional service to you to keep you happy while they are screwing you somewhere else for 100 times that. Also the number of rebatable atm transactions per month may be limited as per your agreement.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So in other Words, if you have $1000 Cad ( or higher) its better to first exchange it to USD, and THEN buy your Pesos? Is that the consensuses.. Because on lower CAD amounts lets say $20 it would be a lower exchange rate when buying USD..

I've never exchanged CAD in the DR ( except when using Credit Cards) Always come with the Green Back to the Island... But with the DIVE in the CAD, I'm trying to think of/if there are more creative ways..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Asty, I can tell you - I paid $295-300CAD several times in late April for 10,000.

no mistake here....
    I know it b/c I was heading back and was into my Cdn account - a rarity for me in RD

The CAD conversion usually stinks - try cash and watch what happens.
    Well - all I can tell you is what my Scotia online account shows. And I watch it VERY closely.
    April 28, 2015 $10,000 RD cost 279.70 CAD

Not trying to get into an argument with you.

Are you using CAD Scotia debit card at Scotia ATM here ? Maybe we're not talking apples to apples.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    Assuming you got 12,000 pesos in your hands and your account was debited $269.27, the exchange rate was 12000/269.27 = 44.56. The bank is returning you 120 pesos transaction fee as an additional service to you to keep you happy while they are screwing you somewhere else for 100 times that. Also the number of rebatable atm transactions per month may be limited as per your agreement.
    Nope-your assumptions are incorrect. First off, I am rebated unlimited atm fees per month, so you can take that cchip off your shoulder. In terms of the exchange rate, the atm fee has been rebated, so 12000/266.6=45.01. That is the raw number minus the 120 atm fee.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astucia View Post
    Well - all I can tell you is what my Scotia online account shows. And I watch it VERY closely.
    April 28, 2015 $10,000 RD cost 279.70 CAD

Not trying to get into an argument with you.

Are you using CAD Scotia debit card at Scotia ATM here ? Maybe we're not talking apples to apples.
    Yes Cdn card...
    to be fair, it was April 20 or so, and earlier - not as late you.

Quote Originally Posted by Contango View Post
    So in other Words, if you have $1000 Cad ( or higher) its better to first exchange it to USD, and THEN buy your Pesos? Is that the consensuses.. Because on lower CAD amounts lets say $20 it would be a lower exchange rate when buying USD..

I've never exchanged CAD in the DR ( except when using Credit Cards) Always come with the Green Back to the Island... But with the DIVE in the CAD, I'm trying to think of/if there are more creative ways..
    Pretty easy to do the math at the time Tango.
    Knee jerk answer is 'Yes, switch to US$$'...

I only keep US, always.
    My friend who has an apartment in Toronto has stocked up big time on CDN $$..... buying down to 80 cents.
    He's happy..... but is based in US$$, so for him , it's a boon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Cdn card...
    to be fair, it was April 20 or so, and earlier - not as late you.

Pretty easy to do the math at the time Tango.
    Knee jerk answer is 'Yes, switch to US$$'...

I only keep US, always.
    My friend who has an apartment in Toronto has stocked up big time on CDN $$..... buying down to 80 cents.
    He's happy..... but is based in US$$, so for him , it's a boon.
    Yes, and it was a boon for me back in 2011 when I bought my Condo exchanging the CAD $1 for at one time worth $1.04 USD.. Those were the good ole days the CAD at PAR with the Greenback.. We will NEVER see that again for the next 50 years.. I guarantee you that..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast