pulling cotton out of the ear

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our maid's son got cotton from hisopo stuck in his ear. in the attempt to take it out they only manage to push it further so she finally took the kiddo to local policlinica. "we cannot do this here, go to the hospital".
she went to the hospital. a doctor saw the kiddo and said "cannot do it today, come back tomorrow".

since she had to go to work she asked her mom to take the kid to a private hospital. long wait later the same doctor who saw the boy in a public hospital received them and took the cotton out. the bill? 2,000 pesos.

and the gringos complain about being screwed in dominican hospitals...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personally i would consider leaving it in to reduce accidental exposure to bachata.

that reminds me when one of my friends back home snapped her fake acrylic nail when scratching her ear. her mom tried to pull it out with tweezers, only wedged it inside more. finally she went to the emergency room and the doctor took it out. he needed 20 minutes to complete the task on the account of bursting with laughter every now and then.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as children, we stuffed 'pea shooters' beans in our ears.....
I won the game by stuffing more than the others boys...

over an hour at the hospital extracting them......
sort of like an Easter Egg hunt, I guess.

One was touching my eardrum..... almost broke it

little boys.......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
where's donP when it really counts about this bad English

shouldn't it be 'Cotting Batting'..... dropping the 'G's' is bad form in many circles....

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
We get kids, sometimes adults in our place with the same -- sometimes a little roach or bug .... flushing it out with sterile water and an ear syringe is what we use rather than tweezers and pushing it further in ....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"the bill? 2,000 pesos."

I'd a only charged her a 1,000. I should PM ya my cell number and have her call me directly if it happens again..

In all seriousness, I have been to the hospital twice since living on the island. Once in Nagua, once to the CMC (i think thats the correct name) just outside of Sosua. Was treated very well at both and neither of them tried to overcharge me.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
2,000 pesos for 5 minutes of his work ? its a joke. anyway, it looks like the guy had really bad luck, as usually any decent normal doctor or anyone with equipment can do it in few minutes for nothing
our maid's son got cotton from hisopo stuck in his ear. in the attempt to take it out they only manage to push it further so she finally took the kiddo to local policlinica. "we cannot do this here, go to the hospital".
she went to the hospital. a doctor saw the kiddo and said "cannot do it today, come back tomorrow".

since she had to go to work she asked her mom to take the kid to a private hospital. long wait later the same doctor who saw the boy in a public hospital received them and took the cotton out. the bill? 2,000 pesos.

and the gringos complain about being screwed in dominican hospitals...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i feel this is an outrageous charge for something this small.

Is it possible this is the minimum fee regardless?

Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo if you don't have insurance they won't even look at you until you have over 3,000 pesos deposit. They charge for every little thing they use, two band aids, billed for two band aids, two aspirin, cup of seltzer water. Every little item shows up on the final bill.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
being from US, expect US standards :pPPPPPPPPP
Is it possible this is the minimum fee regardless?

Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo if you don't have insurance they won't even look at you until you have over 3,000 pesos deposit. They charge for every little thing they use, two band aids, billed for two band aids, two aspirin, cup of seltzer water. Every little item shows up on the final bill.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
being from US, expect US standards :pPPPPPPPPP

Look, I compared it to Clinica Abreau which is in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and used that as a "standard". Kindly show me where USA mentioned.

BTW, Clinica Abreau is an excellent small hospital and excellent emergency room.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
any decent,normal and sober doctor with a pair of tweezers can do it for free in emergency room. or for 200 pesos for dinner
if you are bound to overpay, you will always do so; and that makes me wonder how the heck this Dominican guy paid 2,000 pesos for it...
Look, I compared it to Clinica Abreau which is in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and used that as a "standard". Kindly show me where USA mentioned.

BTW, Clinica Abreau is an excellent small hospital and excellent emergency room.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
any decent,normal and sober doctor with a pair of tweezers can do it for free in emergency room. or for 200 pesos for dinner
if you are bound to overpay, you will always do so; and that makes me wonder how the heck this Dominican guy paid 2,000 pesos for it...

This is how Clinica Abreau worked both times I had experience with them. You first go to admissions and sign in. While in admissions you hand over 3,000 pesos deposit. Once they had money in hand you are then taken to the emergency room.

You are now in their system and the billing begins. I don't recall the exact amount but the itemized bill listed "an emergency room" fee.

Now if the person was probably taken directly to a doctor's office sure than the doctor can say, oh just give me coffee money.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........You are now in their system and the billing begins. I don't recall the exact amount but the itemized bill listed "an emergency room" fee...............

I dug up the bill and December 2014 Clinica Abreau emergency room "fee" was 1,725 pesos for the initial examination.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My son, the ENT person known to several folks here, says the only thing that should be put into your ear is your elbow.

He absolutely hates Q-tips, hair pins, chicken feathers and long pinky finger nails...He understands bugs.

His position is that ear irrigates and cleans itself without any help. If there is wax buildup, go see an ENT doctor.

HB