Thank You Gift for a Family

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
Hello All,

I'll be staying with my friend's family in Santo Domingo for a few days and wondered what I should give them as a thank you gift. If it makes any difference, it's a husband, a wife and their son in his 20's

Thank you!

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
First, ask your friend for a gift recommendation. Since you don't know the economic status of the family you may want to bring them something small at first. For example one box of Johnny Walker. Then, at the end of your stay duke them some cash. This also depends your cash flow.
Cash is king and very helpful in DR.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What area do they live in? Might give us a clue...

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Apr 13, 2011
Tell the family that you would like to pay for a cena (dinner) with them, give them enough money that they can buy enough foodfor a large dinner, salad, dessert... Know that they might invite a few additional of the extended family members... and include a bottle of Johnny Walker Black and a couple of Jumbos of Presidente Light... and enjoy a good Dominican cena with them. It can be a good thank you and a good dinner experience for you...

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
Tell the family that you would like to pay for a cena (dinner) with them, give them enough money that they can buy enough foodfor a large dinner, salad, dessert... Know that they might invite a few additional of the extended family members... and include a bottle of Johnny Walker Black and a couple of Jumbos of Presidente Light... and enjoy a good Dominican cena with them. It can be a good thank you and a good dinner experience for you...

I should have mentioned in the OP that they don't drink- they're pretty religious. But these are some great ideas nonetheless. The dinner one is my favorite so far, MJSantoDomingo!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hello All,

I'll be staying with my friend's family in Santo Domingo for a few days and wondered what I should give them as a thank you gift. If it makes any difference, it's a husband, a wife and their son in his 20's

Thank you!

Some of the best gifts are actually FROM the US -- and perhaps a bit odd -- For instance I usually ask folks to bring a BIG bottle of ibuprophen -- and another of acetomenophen - both of which are quite cheap in the US and very expensive in the DR. So would just suggest getting those at CVS -- and saying that folks told you that they were expensive here and useful in case of chikungunya (indespensible, really) -- So I would have that as a first opener.

Then - I would suggest that you offer to take them OUT to a restuarant - rather than give them money for cooking (which is NO vacation for the wife -- just more work)..Some of that might depend on the economic status of the family (and perhaps on your pocketbook as well! Dinner out is going to run $30 to $50 per person)

[

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
First, ask your friend for a gift recommendation. Since you don't know the economic status of the family you may want to bring them something small at first. For example one box of Johnny Walker. Then, at the end of your stay duke them some cash. This also depends your cash flow.
Cash is king and very helpful in DR.

I dunno -- cash might be useful but also might be seen as insulting, no?

Take them to the beach for the day, maybe?

Look, I have it -- bring the Ibuprothen -- and take ME to the beach for the day and you can have the guest room/den complete with air conditioner, TV, private bath with hot water, and a small dog who absolutely ADORES the smell of feet in your old shoes and will sit and look at you adoringly with large brown eyes.

He has not yet learned to say PIZZA --but is practicing....

Another thing you can offer your friends - Tues and Thur are half price at Pizzarelli, which delivers.. and is amazingly good.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Bring US Chocolate and Candy. Most people appreciate chocolate, regardless of what their financial situation is. Even better if it comes in a presentation that locals don't find often here.

I traveled las year around the holidays, and bought a lot of chocolate at Target. I bought a few of the bigger bars, and many people were wowed cause they had never seen them so big before. I also go candy cane shaped tubes filled with chocolate and gave them away as presents to some people.

Something else you can do: cook for them. Make some burgers or hot dogs! Do not cook anything like "medium rare", and nothing too fancy.
As others have suggested, you can also take them out to eat or order a couple of pizzas.

How about taking them to the movies?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
It depends a lot on the family's standard of living. You would want to be careful not to be insulting with gifts of cheap candy or pills if they are a middle class family. Where do they live and what do they do for a living ? Do they travel to the States ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It depends a lot on the family's standard of living. You would want to be careful not to be insulting with gifts of cheap candy or pills if they are a middle class family. Where do they live and what do they do for a living ? Do they travel to the States ?

I agree with this - we need to know a bit more about them to make more 'intelligent' recommendations.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can buy MANY American chocolates here in the DR.
All big supermercados, and Price Mart has them.
I used to give "M&M's cause they don't melt in the heat.
No need to pack them to bring.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
You can buy MANY American chocolates here in the DR.
All big supermercados, and Price Mart has them

....and still people LUUUV getting them from ABROAD .
Everything else that has been suggested for the OP to bring can also be bought here too anyways. So if you're getting someone a T-shirt,don't, because they sell t-shirts here?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a pig. pigs are always well received. roasted, of course. whole puerco asado goes a long way and it fairly inexpensive.

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys!
A bit more information: they are a middle-class family and own a small restaurant.
I didn't mention that I'm a woman, which may or may not make a difference. They say they don't want money, and while taking them out for dinner sounds like a good option, I don't know if my paying would make them feel uncomfortable.
I will talk to my friend more to see if they like having company over. If so, ordering pizza for everyone could be nice.

I've thought about cooking for them, but if I do that, they may never invite me over again...

Rizos

Aug 18, 2015
....and still people LUUUV getting them from ABROAD .
Everything else that has been suggested for the OP to bring can also be bought here too anyways. So if you're getting someone a T-shirt,don't, because they sell t-shirts here?

Whoops! Completely misread this when I first responded! So, t-shirts from DC wouldn't be such a bad idea after all :bunny:?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys!
A bit more information: they are a middle-class family and own a small restaurant.
I didn't mention that I'm a woman, which may or may not make a difference. They say they don't want money, and while taking them out for dinner sounds like a good option, I don't know if my paying would make them feel uncomfortable.
I will talk to my friend more to see if they like having company over. If so, ordering pizza for everyone could be nice.

I've thought about cooking for them, but if I do that, they may never invite me over again...

In this case I would go with small gifts, maybe something traditional from your area that they would never see down here. Just a little something to make them feel that you put some thought into bringing them a gift.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you decide to do a pizza night please don't get it delivered and eat at home. Take them to Trattoria Pizzarelli in Agora Mall, 4th floor food court. Eat, walk around the mall, and if up to it take in a movie while there.

I think you and your hosts would enjoy this.

http://bocao.com.do/restaurantes/trattoria-pizzarelli-agora-mall

(If you go Friday night, Saturday night, or Sunday be prepared to wait for a table)