Chair and Table Rental ..............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Looking to rent those Presidente type plastic chairs and a few tables for 24 hours. Any suggestions for a place close to Gazcue, Santo Domingo?

Any idea on cost?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks MA, I did speak with the concierge at my building and he mentioned he knew a place but in la rep dom like anywhere it is always better to get more than one price quote.

I will hit you up on the details as it gets closer in case you want to stop by for a bite to eat and a cold one. It will be a late afternoon cook out type thing. Probably starting around 5 PM when the bright sun starts to go down. I am a ten minute walking distance from you.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Just ask your nearest/regular Colmado, he will be the cheapest option for just a day (if you are a regular user of the shop he might even give you them for free for the day, depending on your relationship), and more convenient for you. Probably the local delivery guy who will bring them already knows you and where you live. Might be worth it if you don't need too many.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just ask your nearest/regular Colmado, he will be the cheapest option for just a day (if you are a regular user of the shop he might even give you them for free for the day, depending on your relationship), and more convenient for you. Probably the local delivery guy who will bring them already knows you and where you live. Might be worth it if you don't need too many.

Thanks HUG, great idea. I would still need to go with a rental company first as I need chairs, a couple of the 4 seat tables and a long table but the colmado would be a GREAT backup. I could go there at the last minute if needed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Colmado is a great suggestion HUG.

When we had the ninth-day get-together after my mother-in-law died, the maid contacted one of the beach bars near us and a pickup truck showed up with 50 stacked chairs. They didn't even charge us.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Colmado is a great suggestion HUG.

When we had the ninth-day get-together after my mother-in-law died, the maid contacted one of the beach bars near us and a pickup truck showed up with 50 stacked chairs. They didn't even charge us.

Despite the naysayers, things like that is what I see in RD

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just an update...............

I did what I needed to do in the beginning but none the less I did get some nice responses in this thread. I talked to "my go to guy, the concierge at my building and he coordinated the rental. 20 chairs, 2 long folding tables, 1 small square folding table and 3 tablecloths. Cost $2,000 pesos. My friend got a quote for the same thing for $4,000.

The $2,000 pesos cost also included delivery and pickup.

Everyone had a great time and truth is it makes a world of difference which group of Dominicans you associate with. This is true for any country....................

e6vu43.jpg

sfz4fq.jpg

11hcgt1.jpg

jkbosh.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we need to get you some 'campo carbon'...

you be using that bagged crap... store bought stuff

looks like a fun party...

and your terrace lives up to the advertising !!!

Life in the aerie !!
It's a bird's life, huh??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
we need to get you some 'campo carbon'...

Yeah, I know but I sure don't feel up to riding up north just to get a few bags. Maybe when you are back in town you can ship me some on Caribe Tours.

I did take your advice and now use briquettes mixed with charcoal. That bag stuff may be crap in your eyes but it sure beats one of those instant start propane gas grills any day of the week. :classic:

Yeah had a ball, goes down as one of my better times in this country.

Thing is WW just plain bag charcoal is hard to find in SD. The supermarkets have small size bags at three times the price. In the last year I must have returned back to SD with a dozen or more bags. I can usually bring at least one or two bags each trip. Sometimes I opt out for the charcoal and bring potting soil mixed my way.

I know it may sound crazy to some but it sure is a lot easier than running all over town looking for these items priced two or three times USA cost.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Caribe Tours,,, there's an idea

I get my good meat from Nello's that way.

300 pesos for a huge saco ... rice saco size....

he may not be making it now.

I also mix, as a i told you.
works well for a long cook like you had.... also,

get a couple of bricks and another grill to boost the meat up - further from the heat for a slower cook.

I use 3 levels
1/ right down on the coals to start(called down'n dirty)... sear
2/ up to the regular height for a bit if needed
3/ one brick up from regular for slower......... pork roasts, etc.

But a smaller grill plate to use as the lowest and highest level.

Cocinero, WW

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ WW, That is the 18.5 Weber Kettle. Really wished I would have gotten the 22". Thing was I brought it down on the plane so the cardboard box had to 62 linear inches or less. As you know, it is all a game on how to bring things into this country.

I knew people would arrive at all different times so I cooked in batches. Just about every thirty minutes I was taking meat off the grill and putting it on the serving dish. Grilled some Kielbasa and was really surprised the Dominicans loved it. Also some grilled shrimp on a skewer which I knew they would enjoy. A couple slabs of pork ribs and the old standby hot dogs on a stick.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............get a couple of bricks and another grill to boost the meat up - further from the heat for a slower cook..............

What I do is keep the charcoal mix on half of the grate. That does the searing and gives it a touch of "blackened". Once seared I move the meat to the rear of the grill to slow cook with indirect heat.

Most times I am only grilling or BBQing for a handful of people.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............and your terrace lives up to the advertising !!!

Life in the aerie !!
It's a bird's life, huh??

Thanks WW. Truth is my apartment is too large for one person but when I saw that terrace I told my self, keep one door closed and you will have one room without furniture. What makes the terrace extra special is after around 9 PM it is so extra quiet. Sometimes 15 minutes go by without a car driving down the street.

I built this little fountain thing, and at night it being so quiet, listening to the water splash, an ice cold cerveza or Brugal. Rocking in my chair and a friend or two it is just so peaceful.

103wneh.jpg

First one I made I used a clay pot, it didn't last a year because it got a fine hairline crack. So second one I used a plastic pot. There is also an underwater light that changes colors and some goldfish that spend all their time hiding under the rocks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
bigbird, there is carbon all over our campo, and we're back and forth to SD just about every week. Will be in touch when we get down there later this year, and will fill you up with carbon - a neighbor makes it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
bigbird, there is carbon all over our campo, and we're back and forth to SD just about every week. Will be in touch when we get down there later this year, and will fill you up with carbon - a neighbor makes it.

I know you are a classy lady of your word and graciously accept your offer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Beautiful, Bird..... just great.

Don't fret the shipping costs... and think about the 22"

I have the Weber Performer and had it shipped down.... I have one in each house ---RD, USA & Canada.

Buy it, free ship to the mudanza of choice and 'Voila'.....maybe $100 to ship, I forget
Check Amazon & E-Bay... or Lowe's/Home Depot.

AE's offer is a good one......snag it.

Get a chimney starter unless you buy the grill with the propane start.

Nello's has the Chimney starts.... and besides, you should check it out for good meat.

Nello's Carnes Selectas.......... in SD.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........I have the Weber Performer and had it shipped down.... I have one in each house ---RD, USA & Canada.......a chimney starter unless you buy the grill with the propane start......

Yes, I saw a pic of your Weber Performer and wanted delete that foto right quick. LOL I was thinking, whoa ........ what could I cook on that grill. I have a chimney starter, but that grill you got is really "kicking it up a notch"?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The fake stuff, briquettes cook with a more even heat, certainly.... and last longer.
But they're not pure... and here , they are $$$$

The local will be a mix of wood and give flavor.... think mesquite, oak..... but local trees, pinions mostly
Rarely do you need a long fire here.
and the carbon starts faster.

BTW, at Bravo I got a beautiful roast of pork - entero with 10 ribs- fresh

I had them cut it 4 ribs and 6 for freezing... looks good.