The glorious sound of thunder and Lightening and rain, really really raining!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just now I was awakened from my nap with thunder and the sound of pounding rains.

This is what we need for the next few days.

Earlier this morning, I saw some dark clouds forming to the north, and I thought "Puerto Plata should
get a soaking if those work right."

At 12:30, I picked up a friend at the children's hospital and again saw that the northern part of the valley was covered in dark, threatening cluds..

Humm,,,,I thought, this might get interesting...

And now, rain....probably not enough today but at least it is a start.

Thank you Lord for this water...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Unusual huge black clouds here near Sabaneta de Yasica and dogs tell me that there is thunder about too - only seen a few huge spots of rain yet whilst I was out in the gardens with them but hopefully we will get a dousing of rain too - every bit welcome however how heavy or how brief!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Rained a good amount here on the east side of town. Very strong thunder that felt like it was shaking the building.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Rained a good amount here on the east side of town. Very strong thunder that felt like it was shaking the building.

just headed home in a mad dash. some really dense, dark clouds forming above. this could be a good one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the clouds are pouring over costambar. we wanted to go for a walk with dogs but no can do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It rained lightly in Cabarete and then cleared up. I don't see anything that would bring more rain at the moment.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
We were at Gold's gym around 5:30 and we saw it pouring down hard!!,, for about 10 minutes.. :( We need more!

Apr 7, 2014
There should be more rain.coming since this is the beginning of hurricane season

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There should be more rain.coming since this is the beginning of hurricane season

Nope. Hurricane season here is from June 1 through November 30. We are in the "middle" of the hurricane season. A recent comment about El Nino says that El Nino may be responsible for more rain this fall than normal, while other forecasts have said that the drought will continue.

May 29, 2006
Saw hundreds of malnourished foraging cattle and horses while taking the bus around the country. I sure hope the rains come soon for their sake.

One thing that can happen when a drought is bad is the soil loses its ability to absorb water easily, just like a dried out kitchen sponge. Then you get flooding when the rains come, but the soil is only wet on top. A couple one or two inch rains would be nice before the big storms.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The general consensus of opinions that I have read suggest that until El Nino significantly weakens or goes away completely, current weather trends will continue.

Here in the Caribbean there is a change of some promising moisture in Oct., Nov. or some portion of those two month, then back to hot and dry maybe until next spring. We'll see.