After googling, I still don't understand the reason for daily blackouts ...help...

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Can anyone explain in laymens terms for me... I understand the that the gvt is corrupt and all but I still don't seem to understand the reason for daily blackouts. Anyone care to break it down ??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Not enough production vs demand would be my short on it.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Could it have to do with the fact that most "customers" steal power?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could it have to do with the fact that most "customers" steal power?

Yep, that would be it. And because the government runs the power distribution scheme like the spineless politicians they are, they refuse to make those "customers" pay.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Less than half the country pay for their electricity. And so those that do suffer the consequence.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Less than half the country pay for their electricity. And so those that do suffer the consequence.

So a house or certain block doesn't pay for their electricity bill... is there not a way to shut THEIR power off ???
and the policitians make money but HOW if 1/2 the DR is not paying their bill ????

And also a lot of people in articles I read state that " electricity" is one of the costliest things to consider when moving to the DR... could I just not pay my bill as well ????

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
So a house or certain block doesn't pay for their electricity bill... is there not a way to shut THEIR power off ???
and the policitians make money but HOW if 1/2 the DR is not paying their bill ????

And also a lot of people in articles I read state that " electricity" is one of the costliest things to consider when moving to the DR... could I just not pay my bill as well ????

As far as I have seen, mainly the houses/blocks that do not pay their bill, are those harder to track down (campos, areas of wooden shacks in the cities etc.), or those, who start causing public problems (burning tires on streets etc.) if they are being charged.

We have thus far spend about 5 months (during 4+ years) with free electricity, due to the incompetency of Edenorte. Once we moved in to one place, I went three times to the office trying to get contract, even with existing bill, but they could not locate our house in their system. Our neighbors connected our house to the wires, and twice Edenorte came to disconnect us, but never with any consequences. That time we spent 3 months without paying a penny. The office staff always had very little interest in trying to get our contract right, so we never got a contract.

Another time our meter was broken by a staff member of Edenorte, who however did not notice it, and we again got free electricity, despite reports made.

So what I have seen, it?s the incompetency of billing the customers, and it?s also administrative incompetency. You might get away with not paying your bill, but I have never wanted this nor would recommend it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here it is in simple terms: free electricity is the cost of the votes. capiche? balaguer started using it as a bargaining chip in gaining votes of the rice eaters and it remained that way till today. the masses now consider free power as their basic right, along with drinking presidente in front of the colmado and beating the wives. now you can spend the rest of the evening googling inversors. you're welcome.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I know in the area I live there are certain houses that seem to be cut off on a regular basis, like every 2 or 3 months for not paying their bill, so yes the electrical company is pretty quick to kill your power, usually I believe after the 5th day of the month.
My electrical bill here is usually just over a thousand pesos per month ( $20-25 dollars) but I don't have a pool or air-conditioning like many people that live on the coast. I would say half is an exaggeration but certainly there are lots of power thieves that seem to get away with it. Here it is common to lose power from about 10 am until 2 pm, get it back for an hour or so, then lose it against until 530 or 6 pm and usually have power all weekend. Everybody seems to have different experience depending on where they live. There doesn't seem to be much consistency to the blackout, other than they are usually during working hours.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

My place in the city, I paid the bill because it was a respectable area where people went to work every day, kept nice and clean and people were generally good honest people.
In La Caleta which was rather different you don't pay bills. The electric of the entire area (thousands of homes) was connected by the residents and no one paid, none of them. Occasionally they might make a gesture stance and come by a street and disconnect people, and before they could get back in their van they would be bypassed and reconnected again, although this extremely rarely happened.
That example above is not one or two houses not paying electric, this is an entire barrio, thousands not paying, and no one pays because no one else does and it is easy to get free. And so in La Caleta for instance, you couldn't pay for your electric even if you wanted to as you'd be one house out of thousands, it wouldn't happen.
Yes you can just not pay your bill and get a guy to connect you, every street has a guy, but not really a good mindset to have when moving to a new country.
I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out, it's a waste of time like just about everything if you want to do it right in DR. It's difficult because everyones so frinkin bent.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
here it is in simple terms: free electricity is the cost of the votes. capiche? balaguer started using it as a bargaining chip in gaining votes of the rice eaters and it remained that way till today. the masses now consider free power as their basic right, along with drinking presidente in front of the colmado and beating the wives. now you can spend the rest of the evening googling inversors. you're welcome.

hahahhaaa...that was funny

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Also .. is ther substantial savings by the government or whoever by cutting of the electricity daily for this time ????

That is really interesting as I have never seen the whole " entire hood" not paying the bill.

So your telling me this problem is just ignored ??? I mean does no one in gvt or private companies care to make a plan to eliminate this waste. I mean its just simple math and intelligence . just WOW

Especially with something so critical to the growth of the island as energy ...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't try to understand this. electricity failure in DR is a complex issue. apart from power being a part the power game there is also a problem of outdated and damaged infrastructure. then there is a fact that DR does not have own power sources and needs to buy the fuel. top it with with raging corruption and you have a recipe for a disaster.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Also .. is ther substantial savings by the government or whoever by cutting of the electricity daily for this time ????

That is really interesting as I have never seen the whole " entire hood" not paying the bill.

So your telling me this problem is just ignored ??? I mean does no one in gvt or private companies care to make a plan to eliminate this waste. I mean its just simple math and intelligence . just WOW

Especially with something so critical to the growth of the island as energy ...

They can't. The majority of votes comes from the dense barrios, the barrios where no one pays bills. It is so simplistically complex it is difficult to digest until you've lived among it. They even buy the votes of these people from the barrios, literally. They have agents all over the barrios and are paying money for the residents votes. They also have afternoons where gas is free to the motoconchos and publicos of the barrios. They regularly throw Brugal parties and get everyone lashed for a couple of days. Allowing these dense populations to live without paying electricity is only part of the big picture and the plan to stay on top.
It is easy to buy poor dumb people, and the majority of the country are poor, and very dumb.

As said above, don't try to understand it, your mind couldn't comprehend how all this can go on in the open without any shame.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
All I know DR will never have a amazing stable 24/7 Electric and Water operation ever.

Why never ???

Also ... if these barrios will never pay their bill.. whats the point of having somewhat scheduled apagones ??

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Why never ???

Also ... if these barrios will never pay their bill.. whats the point of having somewhat scheduled apagones ??

Becuase there is an corruption has been going for years. Ask everyone here and they will tell you wonderful story about it. Trust me, the govt in DR likes to play games, they just talk about it then delay it repeatly. Its called corruption :)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Why never ???

You seem to miss the point that the government does not care about the future of the country, only about their own selfish time to live it best they can. That is why it is such a disgrace that they go about business in the open without shame of what they do, or don't do. A country can never progress if the government doesn't want it to, hence DR 2015!!! It's actually gone backwards since 2000!!!

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
So whats all this talk ( even on DR1) about progressiveness and it being the fastest growing country in the carib ... and the tourism growing year by year and the new 911 call center system , minimum wages ebing raised, cellphone companies have to verify identities..blah blah blah. Maybe the new generation will turn the tide ???

Isn't there a point where the people say enough is enough !

I find it the topic very interesting which is why I'm asking all these questions btw.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its just talk. For Dominicans its always been this way. The lying government and their moles spread this disinformation. We have an active mole on the site. The "people" know its just part of life and accept it. If there is such a point I have never seen or heard of its existence. It is interesting especially during a heat wave and the inversor batteries die the first day. You have not asked about the water. Ever wonder about the the water? It is interesting also.