Dominicans with a Caribbean accent in English

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
i'v noticed that some Dominicans (not all) speak English with a West Indian Accent and not like cubans and puerto ricans who (all of them) sound hispanic when speaking English, but some pure Dominicans speak English with an Hispanized-Caribbean English accent

samples (Dominican tour guide)
[video=youtube;z4cYIML3H1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cYIML3H1c[/video]

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The two greatest influences on accent for Dominicans are firstly the television and secondly the teacher . I have never heard any Dominican speak english with a West Indian accent , they nearly all have a ghastly american accent with many errors . Haitians speak english normally much softer

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i'v noticed that some Dominicans (not all) speak English with a West Indian Accent and not like cubans and puerto ricans who (all of them) sound hispanic when speaking English, but some pure Dominicans speak English with an Hispanized-Caribbean English accent

samples (Dominican tour guide)
[video=youtube;z4cYIML3H1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cYIML3H1c[/video]

i have heard just about every caribbean accent, on a prolonged basis. Dominicans who speak English sound nothing like any of the accents i have heard. maybe you could point out a specific accent which you think Dominican english resembles.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I am with the crowd here- Kipling333 and the gorgon.

In my experience, Dominicans that speak English don't sound West Indian. The ones that have somewhat of a command of English sound quite Americanized and that influence can be from where they learned English in general. Examples include television, family, friends and the influence from tourists. Those that have learned English formally either speak well and sound quite neutral or speak passable English but with a strong accent.

The second video is a reflection of the English that Dominican tour guides speak- most times incomprehensible, bad grammar (no concept of English grammar at all) and American sounding English. An example of a Dominican who is fluent in English but has noticeable hints of American sounding English is David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox. Whenever I listen to him, I find it interesting how he clearly is a Spanish speaker but has a decent command of English and sounds Americanized. Must be all those years in Boston.

I also noticed that Haitians and Dominicans (from Dominica) that speak English sound distinct. Notably from the Caribbean but do not sound like speakers from the English Caribbean (creole may have something to do with it)

My .02

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am with the crowd here- Kipling333 and the gorgon.

In my experience, Dominicans that speak English don't sound West Indian. The ones that have somewhat of a command of English sound quite Americanized and that influence can be from where they learned English in general. Examples include television, family, friends and the influence from tourists. Those that have learned English formally either speak well and sound quite neutral or speak passable English but with a strong accent.

The second video is a reflection of the English that Dominican tour guides speak- most times incomprehensible, bad grammar (no concept of English grammar at all) and American sounding English. An example of a Dominican who is fluent in English but has noticeable hints of American sounding English is David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox. Whenever I listen to him, I find it interesting how he clearly is a Spanish speaker but has a decent command of English and sounds Americanized. Must be all those years in Boston.

I also noticed that Haitians and Dominicans (from Dominica) that speak English sound distinct. Notably from the Caribbean but do not sound like speakers from the English Caribbean (creole may have something to do with it)

My .02

-MP.

Dominicans who are formally trained in English have no specific way of speaking. the ones who learned informally, like those who picked it up in the tourist areas sound like a bunch of folks trying to be African American wannabes. as Marianoploita says, tv has a major part to play.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
Been to a few Caribbean countries recently where the first language is Spanish but the older generations and still their families speak English / Patois among themselves. Parts of Nicaragua and parts of Panama spring to mind.
I talked to these guys about how it was they were talking in English and they said that their grandparents were brought there to work on various projects run by Americans and the English persists - not sure how this caused the strong West Indian accent - neither were they. Some of the older ones spoke less Spanish than I did and some none at all... sounded more Trinidadian than Jamaican but clear as a bell. Interesting stuff and a bit of a surprise....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Been to a few Caribbean countries recently where the first language is Spanish but the older generations and still their families speak English / Patois among themselves. Parts of Nicaragua and parts of Panama spring to mind.
I talked to these guys about how it was they were talking in English and they said that their grandparents were brought there to work on various projects run by Americans and the English persists - not sure how this caused the strong West Indian accent - neither were they. Some of the older ones spoke less Spanish than I did and some none at all... sounded more Trinidadian than Jamaican but clear as a bell. Interesting stuff and a bit of a surprise....

Panama is crawling with the descendants of english speaking caribbean people, who went there to help build the canal. many ended up in Costa Rica by virtue of its proximity. if you watch territorial football tournaments, and look at the teams from Costa Rica and Panama, you will see that many of the players have spanish first names, and english surnames.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Panama is crawling with the descendants of english speaking caribbean people, who went there to help build the canal. many ended up in Costa Rica by virtue of its proximity. if you watch territorial football tournaments, and look at the teams from Costa Rica and Panama, you will see that many of the players have spanish first names, and english surnames.

Right on point gorgon and I have Panamanian friends of West Indian descent and the topic always comes up when I go to Panama. Why it comes up is because we are all bilingual English/ Spanish and also love language. We are noticing how the second generation of Panamanians (meaning their grandparents are from either Barbados, Trinidad or Jamaica) has little to no knowledge of English. They are very English resistant. On the contrary, the first generation learned English from their parents who were new to Panama during the time of the building of the canal but their kids are Spanish speakers and the first generation does not speak much English to the second generation. This is a clear example of language gets lost from one generation to another and that did not take long.

Many years ago at work our company was being audited by Price Waterhouse and the auditor assigned to my department was a Black Costa Rican. I did not know that he was Costa Rican until after a few days. He said to me 'I am enjoying listening to you speak Spanish with your colleagues. I am Costa Rican' and I said why didn't you tell me and then he started speaking to me in Spanish as well. He said it is just so good being around me and my department of all Spanish speakers. If he did not tell me, I am not sure I would have realized that he spoke Spanish because his English was so good as well. He told me he was born and raised in Costa Rica and his parents are Jamaican.

-MP.

Last edited:

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
they don't sound West Indian because Dominicans don't have that Southern Irish flavored dialect that West Indian islands recieved in the 17th and 18th century

but they do sound different from other Hispanics, sounds like a mix between Hispanic and West Indian

in whatever case it may be, iv comed acroos many Dominicans that have this distinct way of Speaking English, even the one's that immitate it from Americans still somewhat have this Caribbean accent in English, but PR and Cuba don't

Central American Caribbean Coastal English does not count because they are descendants of West Indians who came sometime between 100 to 300 years ago (already speaking English dialect) and have retained it but are losing their dialects slowly.

This Dominican (from Dominican Republic) immigrant in St Kitts and Nevis has a West Indian English accent, but this is explaineable since he picked his English probably there, but there's alot of Dominicans that talk like that that i personally know (skip to 15:50)
[video=youtube;9KLuYJoU71A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLuYJoU71A[/video]

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
i have heard just about every caribbean accent, on a prolonged basis. Dominicans who speak English sound nothing like any of the accents i have heard. maybe you could point out a specific accent which you think Dominican english resembles.

ok, simple and short answer from my own observations and what i think the characteristics may be

phonetically similar to Caribbean English dialects with Spanish pronunciations

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
During the conquests of the Dominican republic by the Haitian, there was a movement by the Haitian government to Blacken the Dominican population by moving free black American slaves to Samana I don’t know if this are the decedents that you are posting about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saman%C3%A1_Americans

hows it going man

yes, i know of em, the Samana Americans

but, no, im not talking about them, im talking about the pure Dominican population

but there's a thread on em though, i posted the last two videos of em
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...can-Americans-in-Samana?p=1613717#post1613717

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Jamaicans years ago were brought in to cut cane. Mostly in the area of SPM.

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
Jamaicans years ago were brought in to cut cane. Mostly in the area of SPM.
very few, not jamaicans, cocolos from Saint Kitts and Nevis, but there were so few of them that came that virtually left no impact in Dominican culture, they did however, left an impact as what we know today as the cocolos or the goluyas, but it's only a dance and celebration that was influenced by them but something like that was already there in SPM, which was the Palo or San

it would have been something like 80% Afro-Dominican and 20% Cocolo in SPM

there's also pics of that region before they came, it's always been the same really, heavily African, from African slaves coming over there and cutting the sugar canes