seamless cellular service when flying in from US?

elfred77

Jun 16, 2011
I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, if not mods please move to most appropriate subforum.

My USA cell phone carrier only has service within the US, when I travel to DR I have to wait until I can buy a SIM card locally before I can make any local calls. However I have frequently observed other passengers talking on their phone in Miami or NY airport, then using the same phone to call as soon as the plane lands in Santo Domingo, or vice versa. Anyone know how this is possible? I would like to do something better than waiting until I can buy a SIM.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, if not mods please move to most appropriate subforum.

My USA cell phone carrier only has service within the US, when I travel to DR I have to wait until I can buy a SIM card locally before I can make any local calls. However I have frequently observed other passengers talking on their phone in Miami or NY airport, then using the same phone to call as soon as the plane lands in Santo Domingo, or vice versa. Anyone know how this is possible? I would like to do something better than waiting until I can buy a SIM.

I carry my DR SIM card with me, and switch it on the plane, that may be what you're seeing. They may also just be paying roaming charges.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
T Mobil will work in the DR with roaming. But you will have to take out a 2nd Mortgage when you get the bill.

Feb 7, 2007
20 cents a minute is not that much. Certainly a bit less than a prepaid card per minute rate charge with Orange or Claro.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
which of the local companies does t-mobile use for the data service in DR
can you get 3g or 4g service when roaming over there?
I was hoping I could use a mifi or hotspot device for data only. no calls

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
which of the local companies does t-mobile use for the data service in DR
can you get 3g or 4g service when roaming over there?
I was hoping I could use a mifi or hotspot device for data only. no calls

For free data roaming Tmobile USA uses Viva in DR. Not sure for 3/4g-if any.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
For free data roaming Tmobile USA uses Viva in DR. Not sure for 3/4g-if any.

that is not good news. I think ViVa is on 2G. I usually can not get a good whatsapp call on Viva. you can get a connection but it will fade in and out and this is when the other party gets a strong viva signal. Facebook do not work on it.
Well they are the cheapest service and allow some international calls. but viva data stinks
I am looking for an alternate service to VIVA that facebook and whatsapp will work on without braking the bank.
Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
that is not good news. I think ViVa is on 2G. I usually can not get a good whatsapp call on Viva. you can get a connection but it will fade in and out and this is when the other party gets a strong viva signal. Facebook do not work on it.
Well they are the cheapest service and allow some international calls. but viva data stinks
I am looking for an alternate service to VIVA that facebook and whatsapp will work on without braking the bank.

T-Mobile offers customers with postpaid plans with qualifying credit an add on-demand data pass(es) to increase their high-speed data. While roaming internationally, a high-speed data pass will allow you to increase data up to 3G speeds.

One sample $50 USD data pass is Tmobile's: International Data/2 Week/500 MB It provides up to 500 MB of high-speed data for two weeks while roaming internationally.

It may be cheaper to buy a prepay (prepago) SIM and data package from the local carriers (Orange or Claro) 4g... or go Wi-Fi.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Jul 28, 2008
Any US cellular carrier will have an international plan that you can purchase, depending on the exact cell phone that you are using. They will have an agreement with a local carrier that allows you to roam on the network in the foreign country, at an additional cost per minute (rates in the DR tend to be a bit higher than other countries). You would have to check with you US carrier to know whether the international plan is available for your phone and if so, what the rates are for the DR. I use Verizon, and I usually roam on the Orange network in the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
20 cents a minute is not that much. Certainly a bit less than a prepaid card per minute rate charge with Orange or Claro.

i use Tmobile in USA (under my brother's family plan) and when i reach DR, I simply slip in my DR (claro) sim. Here is what rubio is saying: you will connect to a local carrier the moment you land in DR or in any other country if you have the Tmobile global plan. It's just a regular Tmobile plan but they add global data / roaming plan in it. This means as soon as you land in any country in the world (except cuba, north korea and iran etc) you will instantly connect to a local carrier. your data internet plan will start up (low speed) but totally free of charge. if you receive a call from usa or make a call to usa, you will be charged 20 Cents / minute. The text will be unlimited to USA (back and forth). I travel all over the world and when I land anywhere, I am in no hurry to get a local sim card. My Tmobile plan simply turns on my mobile data and I am able to use whatsapp, internet browser, facebook and other internet apps to keep in touch with the people I need to stay in contact with. I never receive or make any calls to avoid extra charge. I was in a cruise and I had used the tmobile data plan on all Caribbean islands where we stopped and even connected to islands we simply passed by. I never even needed expensive cruise ship data internet plan. I had my own internet for free. So I am a huge fan of tmobile global plan. it has saved me $$ throughout my trips to far away lands.
AZB

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
i use Tmobile in USA (under my brother's family plan) and when i reach DR, I simply slip in my DR (claro) sim. Here is what rubio is saying: you will connect to a local carrier the moment you land in DR or in any other country if you have the Tmobile global plan. It's just a regular Tmobile plan but they add global data / roaming plan in it. This means as soon as you land in any country in the world (except cuba, north korea and iran etc) you will instantly connect to a local carrier. your data internet plan will start up (low speed) but totally free of charge. if you receive a call from usa or make a call to usa, you will be charged 20 Cents / minute. The text will be unlimited to USA (back and forth). I travel all over the world and when I land anywhere, I am in no hurry to get a local sim card. My Tmobile plan simply turns on my mobile data and I am able to use whatsapp, internet browser, facebook and other internet apps to keep in touch with the people I need to stay in contact with. I never receive or make any calls to avoid extra charge. I was in a cruise and I had used the tmobile data plan on all Caribbean islands where we stopped and even connected to islands we simply passed by. I never even needed expensive cruise ship data internet plan. I had my own internet for free. So I am a huge fan of tmobile global plan. it has saved me $$ throughout my trips to far away lands.
AZB

OP understands his T Mobile (Simple Choice) plan offers free basic unlimited texts and data. He was concerned/looking to increase his data speed. T Mobile's roaming partner in DR is Viva Dominicana, therefore his free roaming (coverage and speed) may be somewhat limited depending on his location. The recommendation, based on his needs- if needed at all, was to upgrade to faster T Mobile global high-speed package or obtain a local Dominican SIM/Plan.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I don't use cell phone much. When I decided to bite the bullet, a while back, and get a "smart" phone I went to Verizon and got their cheapest Samsung phone and cheapest voice and data plan. Have never come close to exceeding monthly limits. When I land in Santo Domingo I get a bunch of messages welcoming me to D.R. After I clear them my phone works normally but with expensive roaming costs. The texting part is very erratic and usually waits 'till I'm back in U.S. to up and down load texts. WhatsApp works normally here and there.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
What number does a caller see or need?

AZB

Hi AZB,

What number does a US caller need to connect? Is it the number I have in the US or a DR area code and number. I need to be able to have my boss call my US number. I don't want them to know exactly where I am. Also, does the caller from the US incur international charges?

Thanks

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

True VIVA is only 2G. Soom we will get news in they improving their services, new owner do not like to own **** so Claro and Orange better improve their services and give better price, Soon oficially VIVA will be part of Telemicro Group.

About you not getting your roaming service you have to call your company and tell them to activate roaming services in your phone and make sure to understand how they will bill you and dont forget remember that prices are plus tax. Be carefull with Data Roaming just opening just opening facebook app is like 5.00 US dollars.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hi AZB,

What number does a US caller need to connect? Is it the number I have in the US or a DR area code and number. I need to be able to have my boss call my US number. I don't want them to know exactly where I am. Also, does the caller from the US incur international charges?

Thanks

the caller in usa will dial my tmobile (USA) number and the phone will ring in DR or katmandu or where ever I am. the caller will not know the difference. the call will cost me 20cents / minute. incoming or out going calls.
AZB