Interested in traveling to D.R. for the first time....

litchi

Jan 14, 2002
I have posted some questions in the "open" forum section. If you have any knowledge for a first time "budget" traveler, please add a comment, or share a piece of knowledge.

Doug

Smelly

Jan 14, 2002
Great trip in Cabarete

I just took a fantastic trip to the Dom Rep to Cabarete on the Northern Coast.

It's one of the world's top bays for Windsurfing & Kiteboarding. And I did some great adventure trips - horseback riding in the mtns, canyoning these jungle river waterfalls, mtn biked, went snorkeling, to secluded sugar white beaches... todo bien!

And the fiestas on the beach every night were great with all the international travelers there!

I booked my trip thru this great site and it was under $1,000 for 11 days!
Check it out and enjoy the cuba libres!

www.AmberCoastAdventures.com 1-800-484-2653 ext.code 3278

bilt4_speed

Jan 17, 2002
Hi,

Stick to the North Coast. I visited there and Punta Cana, Punta Cana is very isolated with few activities at most of the resorts. Do avoid Punta Cana Beach Resort at all costs, will be happy to share the many problems at that resort if you or anyone else sends me their email address.

An additional benefit is that the North Coast is a very worthy possible retirement destination. Local realtors can fill you in on the many advantages to living there. Do avoid the local Burger Kings, they are more expensive than in the US! Ocean water temp was 85 degrees in October on the North Coast.

Sosua is a charming little city, well worth exploring. Have a great trip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on yur ability to walk around

I have seen many young people get off the plane, take a bus to Sosua and then search out the least expensive place to hang their back packs. Everything is within walking distance..

If that is you, go for it. It will be an adventure.

I also think you have received excellent advice in the two above posts.

A lot of nice people stop at Tropix, there in Sosua. And there are other places, like Andy and Nicole's place out in Las Galeras that will make you a good starting place to explore....

have fun..

HB