Shade trees on Pedro Clisante in jeopardy

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Just heard today all the trees on Pedro Clisante will be cut down to make way for new sidewalks. Many businesses will suffer loss of business by the construction and will be required to change their overhangs and many signs.Hopefully as many as possible will attend the meeting tonight to modify the plans. Why when school was closed and business slow was this not scheduled during the summer? If the renovation is to attract cruise ship tourists, the few who will come here will be long gone before the project is completed. Maybe someone more in the know (OLLY?) will tell me I am misinformed. Please do not let the trees be cut down!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm all for the sidewalk upgrade, but there shouldn't be any need to remove trees. Bigger projects than that have gone around trees. It's not that difficult. Is it possible that removing the trees is just a rumor that got started? Mature growth like there is on PC can't be replaced.

As for the poor timing, that sounds like standard operating procedure.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Big old growth Trees Wreak havoc with Cement ( sidewalks) .. this is just a guess, but maybe they think they will remove them and the Roots, and Plant NEW , YOUNG Trees in their place..
Not saying its right.. but i can tell you that old growth even though they are nice and as said cant be replaced, Putting down new Concrete around them and their Root systems is a PITA and may destroy the new Concrete in a couple years.
This may be their thought process.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Widening the side-walks, are they? Will that also reduce parking to one side of the road only?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see it is probably just a side-walk replacement without necessarily widening them. Never mind. The trees will certainly go.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Well, that sucks

But I'm not surprised. Cruise ship tourists are coming. They've got to tear everything up and rebuild quickly so it will look natural and Caribbean for when they arrive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that reminds me of a quote from the journals of jules renard, french writer: the biggest pleasure of a peasant, apart from killing animals, is cutting down the trees.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Its not logical, there is no Dominican Contractor that will ever put the quality of cement that will not have to replaced yearly. There would never be enough time for the trees to affect the longevity of the sidewalk.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its not logical, there is no Dominican Contractor that will ever put the quality of cement that will not have to replaced yearly. There would never be enough time for the trees to affect the longevity of the sidewalk.

Most Dominican Construction, paint, kitchen cupboards, sinks, toilets door handles.If they dont break or need repair/replacement within a year its a rarity. I found they damage or break stuff as their doing in but still expect full payment without even fixing or cleaning up mess.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
So they want to start this project when they have not even come close to finishing the project that they started on the main road around the bay of Sosua??? Sounds like another project that will be started and possibly not finished leaving the sidewalks worse than ever!! Come on, finish one thing before starting another!! Yeah yeah, I know that can be frustratingly impossible here!!!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I could go on talking about the way these Muppets run Sosua for hours but I'll keep it short.
One step forward, two steps backwards.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So they want to start this project when they have not even come close to finishing the project that they started on the main road around the bay of Sosua??? Sounds like another project that will be started and possibly not finished leaving the sidewalks worse than ever!! Come on, finish one thing before starting another!! Yeah yeah, I know that can be frustratingly impossible here!!!

You actually expected that project to be finished?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

I think it all depends on the definition of the word "finished".....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I read somewhere that they were going to replace the old trees with palm trees for a more "tropical look".

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Team of guys taking theodolite measurements this morning in PC.

Maybe they will get as far as the destruction phase at least..

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We are definitely in the Lewis Carroll rabbit hole where you hold a tourism food festival in August when no one is here and when the high season begins you disrupt business with sidewalk and tree destruction. Makes perfect sense in an alternate universe.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Perhaps something to do with Illanas 4 trips to Danilo's office in the last few months. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of anouncment about Sosua's request for a hospital is done soon.

With the election coming next year, projects are going to start now... Hope they repave the main road linking Cabarete with Sosua as well.