High Speed Internet -- Las Terrenas Hotels

Mar 8, 2015
I plan to visit Las Terrenas on holiday -- and will need to have the option to work remotely -- which requires a high-speed wireless internet connection.

Wondering if any hotel(s) have particularly reliable and fast internet connectivity.

Thank you.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Suspect al the hotels use the Claro or more likely Orange for internet in LT.

It is OK.

A friend visited LT a few times and his insistence was like yours. He landed up in the Albachiara and Alisei and didn't complain about either.

Irrespective, all hotel portals give ratings and internet is one of the areas given a rating.

Goodguy

May 13, 2011
High Speed Internet

Generally broadband in Las Terrenas is not high speed, the max I have seen is about 5 Megs, the norm is about 1 meg. Saying that The Alisei hotel aways had a steady 4 / 5 megs when I used it. The town is cabled with fibre Optics for the past number of years but up to 10 weeks ago when I was there last it still had not been installed to end users. More is the pity. I live in Play Bonita near an Orange Cell tower and can get up to 7 megs 3G from Orange but it is unreliable, I also have Claro DSL getting a steady reliable 1 meg. Hope this helps. Enjoy your time in LT.

Suspect al the hotels use the Claro or more likely Orange for internet in LT.

It is OK.

A friend visited LT a few times and his insistence was like yours. He landed up in the Albachiara and Alisei and didn't complain about either.

Irrespective, all hotel portals give ratings and internet is one of the areas given a rating.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I just returned from Alisei and the terrible wi-fi was one of my complaints.

The connection was pretty terrible from my room and balcony even though I was pretty close to the restaurant and office, where I assume their routers are...

I was able to squeeze out some text messages but web browsing and phone calls were nearly impossible. One day, I found a spot near the pool where I was able to make a clear phone call.

The issue might be poor signal strength and/or saturation from other devices. One person downloading a large piece of content can bring the network to its knees when the network capacity is minimal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a common problem everywhere, I feel.

Here in Cabrera, weekends are particularly bad..... larger usage, I suppose.

CLARO is my carrier

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A common occurrence here at resorts and hotels with lots of wifi routers and repeaters is that they are all set to operate on the same channel. Channel 1 for example has 30 devices but the rest of the channel range is completely unused. Just about everyone coming here expecting speeds that they are used to at home who doesn't stay in a major urban area will probably be disappointed. It's called the "third world" for a reason.

You still may be disappointed in the big city (I have been) but at least there is a chance of decent speeds at least some of the time. Think it's bad in the DR, try Belize.

May 29, 2006
Be sure to check that your room has strong WIFI. I had very spotty connections in the hotels where they said there was WIFI, but it didn't send enough signal for my tablet. At one point I went down to a cafe where I could find a sweet spot for the best connection and at two hotels it worked in the lobby, but not my room. Connections can drop out when there is a lot of other traffic.

Are there any devices you can add to your comp to get better reception?