Plan to travel the states for one year, want to install cameras in dr

abraxas9911

Jul 9, 2006
Hello there, I got a question:
I'm planning to be in the States for about one year, but I want to keep an eye to my property in the DR
(in the Capital)...does anybody knows any internet service / surveillance system where I can see my property
from US, In my Iphone 6?

I am not familiar with this area in Santo Domingo, and the property will be likely closed for that period of time.

Any suggestion please?

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I'm planning to be in the States for about one year, but I want to keep an eye to my property in the DR
(in the Capital)...does anybody knows any internet service / surveillance system where I can see my property
from US, In my Iphone 6?

I am not familiar with this area in Santo Domingo, and the property will be likely closed for that period of time.

Any suggestion please?

I have been told that Claro has a service where you can monitor your security cameras on your cell phone. Might be worth checking into.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We just had an alarm system installed at our house, and there was an option for cameras that could be viewed online from anywhere. Mr. AE is away for the day, I'll get the name & number of the company for you this afternoon. They're in Santo Domingo. His brother hired them for us after getting recommendations and several price quotes.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
from US, In my Iphone 6?

Any suggestion please?

As long as you have internet with a computer connected and the security cameras on property routed through the computer, you can view and even operate the computer left in the DR from another computer via "log me in".com
All of our companies water and wastewater plants use this software, so we have access to every plant from anywhere in the world. FYI, small, cheap internet computers work well for the one (virtual machine) you leave connected in your DR home.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
from US, In my Iphone 6?

Any suggestion please?

First of all what type of property is this. Is it an apartment? Is it ground floor? Need more info.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
As long as you have internet with a computer connected and the security cameras on property routed through the computer, you can view and even operate the computer left in the DR from another computer via "log me in".com
All of our companies water and wastewater plants use this software, so we have access to every plant from anywhere in the world. FYI, small, cheap internet computers work well for the one (virtual machine) you leave connected in your DR home.

for a DR based home,
just make sure that the lil computer at the place is a 100% backuped by enough electrical power and safe against lightnings etc, to stay 100% on all the time.
one power out of your PC and you need to "come home" to turn it back on to get access to your cameras.
you don't need a modern expensive high power computer for that, the softwares are not big memory requiring thingies,
a Laptop is a good solution, in case the power is out for longer than your installed inverter system could cover, you still have some extra hours on the laptop battery to stay connected til the power comes back.

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you leave a private home alone for one year cameras will not help you. Get someone you trust to stay there if you can. Unless you are in a gated community with good security.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WHY"??????????????????
It will stop no one.
It will "Catch"no one.
You just wanna watch your home being robbed?????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"WHY"??????????????????
It will stop no one.
It will "Catch"no one.
You just wanna watch your home being robbed?????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Precisely why we didn't do it. We instead have two ear-shattering sirens. First time the alarm went off our maid and the alcalde went over to the house immediately [they live close by], and she said it was so loud that she felt it in her heart.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We use the "Papimatico" alarm system.
My father-in-law, or I, am ALWAYS home.20 years no thefts, except "Inside Jobs" of course!!!!!
We missed my 18 year old son's "AI" weekend birthday celebration at the beach this weekend!!!
My HUGE dogs don't hurt either!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Precisely why we didn't do it. We instead have two ear-shattering sirens. First time the alarm went off our maid and the alcalde went over to the house immediately [they live close by], and she said it was so loud that she felt it in her heart.

that's the only kinda alarm system that works effectively in this country.
a loud sirene or loud BIG Dogs in combination with a couple neighbours who own a shotgun(or know how to use the one you leave with them) and dare seriously about keeping the 'hood free of thieves.
hey,
dogs'neighbours'shotguns even work during powerouts and tropical storms and on holidays.
no danger of a watchy who didn't see a thing while drunk at the carwash down the road.
in my own case, no big dog at the appartment on the beach,
but armed trustable neighbours and my lil Chihuahua Sirene Lucy do the same trick.
that lil dog usually does not bark for anything,
BUT she does when anything comes to the first step of the stairs towards the 2nd floor entrance or close to the always open windows/balcony door(at least the mosquito door is closed, lol),
the moment that lil sirene barks the first noise, my semiauto points to the balcony door even before i gat a chance to open my sleepy eyes, and at least 2 neigboured firearms get ready to join any "boom boom" to start.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well Mike we had 2 big rotties but the poisoned one of them. Female still there and a big pup, but we added the alarm after the male was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well Mike we had 2 big rotties but the poisoned one of them. Female still there and a big pup, but we added the alarm after the male was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, i was reading the sad story about your dog.
the advantage of my Chihuahua Sirene is,
that they need to come inside first to do anything to Lucy.
she is never out of the house alone, not even for a second.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
http://www.dwn.com.do/ these folks guard the US Embassy

or you might try

http://www.trustedhousesitters.com/

unless you are in a very secure gated apartment --

if they guard a embassy,
then they have in santo domingo a completely different company/security policy than their branch in Punta Cana.
one of the crappiest security companies i ever been in touch with.
i don't know if they still exist here on the East,
they had their office place up in Veron.
didn't pay attention to their existance since a while.

Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They just pi$$ off the people waiting to get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So the people inside can continue to pi$$ then off once they get inside!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
for a DR based home,
just make sure that the lil computer at the place is a 100% backuped by enough electrical power and safe against lightnings etc, to stay 100% on all the time.
one power out of your PC and you need to "come home" to turn it back on to get access to your cameras.
you don't need a modern expensive high power computer for that, the softwares are not big memory requiring thingies,
a Laptop is a good solution, in case the power is out for longer than your installed inverter system could cover, you still have some extra hours on the laptop battery to stay connected til the power comes back.

Mike

This is a great point. Not only will you have to pay for the internet every month buy you will also have to pay edesur every month in order to monitor your house. You can get an 8 camera system here with dvr for around 15,000. Call Dataset at 809-861-4469. You dont need a computer, you only need to have the DVR and a wired internet connection. If you just want to see them on your phone or laptop you dont need to connect a monitor to them either. No portable 4gs or windtelecom crap. You need a hard line with a modem to plug the ethernet cable into. If the luz goes and comes back which it certainly will you are going to run into issues with the IP address because every time you turn off the modem, either intentionally o r unintentionally the DVR will be assigned a new IP address, and you will no longer be able to see the cameras on your phone. To correct this you would need a static IP address. If you think about all you will spend you are probably better off just paying a security guard.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
This is a great point. Not only will you have to pay for the internet every month buy you will also have to pay edesur every month in order to monitor your house. You can get an 8 camera system here with dvr for around 15,000. Call Dataset at 809-861-4469. You dont need a computer, you only need to have the DVR and a wired internet connection. If you just want to see them on your phone or laptop you dont need to connect a monitor to them either. No portable 4gs or windtelecom crap. You need a hard line with a modem to plug the ethernet cable into. If the luz goes and comes back which it certainly will you are going to run into issues with the IP address because every time you turn off the modem, either intentionally o r unintentionally the DVR will be assigned a new IP address, and you will no longer be able to see the cameras on your phone. To correct this you would need a static IP address. If you think about all you will spend you are probably better off just paying a security guard.

the best solution for leaving the home alone for a "long time", more than a long weekend,
is to let someone of trust live there.
a inhabited home is the least targeted place of the available housings in the 'hood.
and if everybody knows that the ole Man inside, who never leaves the house to anywhere,
is a nuthead without a brain and has a always charged shotgun on his knees and even at hand under the shower,
THAT makes your place a DR-Fort Knox compared to any neighbour.

Mike