el batey of sosua taken over by prostitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting article in local media: http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=19753

rough translation below:

Entrepreneurs, citizens and journalists from the tourist town of Sosua have repeatedly complained that the presence of women of easy virtue who stay mostly in the El Batey neighbourhood of Sosua have produced a large growth of the oldest profession in the world, which is a vile attack on morality.

It is recalled that the prominent businessman Andres Pastoriza, representative of the Association for Sustainable Development of Sos?a (ADSS), said several weeks ago that prostitution has taken over the sector El Batey in the municipality.

Pastoriza said that in previous years Sosua was remembered as a charming space where you could walk at any time of day and night and have dinner with the family, but that currently prostitution has taken hold of the entire surroundings of the Clisante Pedro Street.

The businessman made his statements in an interview with the magazine "Zona N" the newspaper Listin Diario, where he repeated that prostitution has taken over a large area that is part of the historic section of the town of Sosua.

Similarly, journalist from Sosua, Junior Henr?quez, owner of Ola TV channel and a correspondent on the north coast for the national newscast station "Noticias SIN" said through his program "Desahogo TV" that current prostitution boom in Sosua is totally adverse to the image this tourist spot should project on an international level.

"Please, what can we do about the prostitution and the poor image of Sosua and about the fact that the authorities of the Ministry of Tourism, Fiscalia, CESTUR, Public Health, Immigration, Police, Dominican Air Force, City of Sosua, Senator, the Deputies, the Governor simply do nothing about it ... It's time that someone who suffers in regards to the situation in Sosua takes corrective action in this situation", expressed Junior Henr?quez.

While previously mentioned Rafael Antonio Gonz?lez Peralta assured that nowadays many Dominicans and foreign businessmen function thanks to the girls and women engaged in one of the oldest work in the world who, through bad times and possible abuse bring food to children, parents and also to "pimps".

Peralta Gonzalez said: "it's amazing how in the sectors El Batey and Los Charamicos there are hundreds of businesses from clothing stores to mobiles, cafeterias, supermarkets, restaurants and other commercial establishment from which the city of Sosua receive benefits in taxes; unfortunately they are based on prostitution as here there are no other sources of work because of the corrupt government in our country young Dominican women in most cases have no choice but to prostitute themselves to survive."

Finally, the citizen Mannu Crudo Rivas revealed that two months ago he returned to Sos?a after 15 years of living abroad and what he could see in that "a tourist who comes here for prostitutes it now a tourists providing jobs in Sos?a."

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Make prostitution illegal maybe, then overhaul the police force with foreign superiors that are interested in upholding the law. Besides that, DR is DR and Sosua is Sosua, and these people continue to have these outbursts yet don't just get the hint and just move. Sosua is a red light town, why are they trying to deny that the whores are not a part of that and have been for a hell of a long time.
Embrace the whore or move, simple.

Jul 28, 2014
Considering the unemployment in the area, what do they think the girls re going to do? Not all of them can work at Casa Marina....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Same old. Same old. Nothing has changed and nothing will change.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Nor would they if given the choice of a morally sound job. People need to forget the idea that these girls are selling pussy because they can't find a decent job. Those girls do that work because they make good money for doing relatively little, and we agree there is a lack of moral standing in DR and so that I doubt comes into the issue much.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Countless cities have tried to clean this issue up. Leagalize it, regulate it and tax the hell out of it. Thats the only way it will work. How many street walkers do you see in cities that have done this. A few renagades but thats it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"Countless cities" have tried to clean it up, legalize it, and tax it, renegade streetwalkers?? And here I thought it was legal in the Dominican Republic. What cities are doing all this work?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Make prostitution illegal maybe, then overhaul the police force with foreign superiors that are interested in upholding the law. Besides that, DR is DR and Sosua is Sosua, and these people continue to have these outbursts yet don't just get the hint and just move. Sosua is a red light town, why are they trying to deny that the whores are not a part of that and have been for a hell of a long time.
Embrace the whore or move, simple.

I am seeing a new campaign slogan here!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
"Countless cities" have tried to clean it up, legalize it, and tax it, renegade streetwalkers?? And here I thought it was legal in the Dominican Republic. What cities are doing all this work?

Amsterdam comes to mind. It seems to me that the more governments try to "clamp down" on moral issues the more they loose control. Once it becomes legal the tax base becomes a profit center. Those who choose to not participate have the option of doing so. Soap box speechs aside its a choice that everyone is free to make.
Keeping it legal keeps away a lot of the crap that goes with it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Pimping is illegal, whoring is legal. It's made muddy deliberately. Something like it is legal to have sex for money but illegal to discuss a price before having sex. A man can offer a woman money after sex but a woman can not approach a man to sell sex. But third party pimping is just illegal which kinda makes places like Passions entirely illegal, but the law is also made muddy so that these places can operate on loopholes. Just like whole thing operates on a loophole.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....................wake me up when the conversation about Sosua is not about whores.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Average salary for most Dominicans who work a 60 hour week in Sosua is between 7,000 to 10,000 pesos a month.

It aint rocket science arithmetic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I won't go as far as to say prostitution is the solution but its certainly a viable option for some people.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I think I will drive over to Sosua Thursday and contribute to the local economy. You know golf and restaurants. ;)

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dunno how old that report is but I'm in El Batey and I'm OUTRAGED AND OFFENEDED! as the tabloids would say about all these gratuitous and immoral Pizza Joints springing up everywhere.
It should be STOPPED!!
It offends my family that you can't walk through Sosua without being propositioned by a Quattro Stagioni or Capri with extra bacon.

Disgusting!

"Fresh home-made pasta " My Ar$e!
It's from the shop.

We need to do something about this and arrest Pizza eaters and pushers.
Where are the Health Freaks when we need them?

More gourmet outlets and lobster thermidor I say! "Boeuf en Croute" not fake Bechamel is my motto!
How about a Balti house of Greek restaurant?

It's immoral and spoils the cute little seaside town of which we are so proud....

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Nor would they if given the choice of a morally sound job. People need to forget the idea that these girls are selling pussy because they can't find a decent job. Those girls do that work because they make good money for doing relatively little, and we agree there is a lack of moral standing in DR and so that I doubt comes into the issue much.

What do you expect an 18 year old with a kid (most have) crying for milk, no money, no education, with no relatives having money, to do?
Any ideas?
Decent jobs: even for jobs in "zona francas" payment is rediculos low. Deduct transportation costs: modern world slavery.
A "morality sound" job requires a decent payment.

To all that saying about the girls with galaxys in Los Cheramicos:
Go there in low season on rainy days and you will see if you want to see: hunger, pressure from home, desperacion, illness, shame, violence, drugs.

Solution could be an unconditional basic income for everyone.

Alexander

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Dunno how old that report is but I'm in El Batey and I'm OUTRAGED AND OFFENEDED! as the tabloids would say about all these gratuitous and immoral Pizza Joints springing up everywhere.

the article is from yday and now i desperately want pizza. thanks, you evil seed! :hurt:

Solution could be an unconditional basic income for everyone.

yeah? such as? where would this basic income come from? from the taxes of those who "lucked out" and have better jobs? whoa, such an incentive that they need to share the money they work hard for with a simpleton who'd spend it drinking beer in a colmado. and how much would it be? would it beat the money for nibbling on sweaty nuts all day? because if not, tossing the salad of a john will still look much better than tossing around a handful of quarters that would not pay for a galaxy s3.

Status
Not open for further replies.