Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: currency

Post Thanks / Like

Question currency

please tell me if the banco de mexico currency is the same as the dominican currency? I went to my bank and asked for dominican pecos and this is what I received. Traveling in 2 weeks

"Going for Gold"
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

sounds like your bank screwed up....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Oops!

Cash them back in! You can't buy DR pesos in the US/Canada...but not sure where you are posting from. Bring your own currency and cash it once you get here. Have $10US for the entry VISA, and some US/Canadian (US better) for the taxi if that is how you're getting to the hotel. Once settled in, there are change places at every turn.

This is how it is on the north coast, anyways. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the south.

marc

"Going for Gold"
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oops!

Originally posted by Marc
    You can't buy DR pesos in the US/Canada...

marc
    I bought DR pesos at Mirabel airport (Montreal, Canada) less than a month ago...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Currency Screw up

You can buy DR pesos in Canada but at a lousy rate! Do not "cash" your notes in. Take them back to your bank along with your receipt and explain "thier" mistake and get what you paid for them. If you cash them in, you'll likely get a lot less. Once you've done this, just bring US dollars to the island and exchange once there!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Absolutely Correct!!

Do not buy currency at any bank or airport before arriving. Just have a few small bills for RedCaps and Bellhops ($1 per bag). Same for Taxi driver. Figure RD$17 per dollar and ask how much before you get in. Someone here or over in FAQ can tell you how much it costs from your airport to your hotel..
    In the DR there are Money Exchange Banks which provide an excellent exchange for your dollars, Euros or Pounds...And they will give you a receipt. NEVER, never buy money on the street, no matter what they offer you, you lose!!!

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy DR pesos in Canada

my wife worked as financial services manager for the bank of Montreal in Canmore then in Calgary up to a year ago. Guess things have changed since then! Thanks for the info.

Hillbilly: I need more info on NEVER changing money on the street....are there exchange "banks" in Sosua? I earn and spend pesos, so it is for my education, not so much for my personal use...

marc

Post Thanks / Like

Question oh no

I work at a bank here in America and spent $50. US dollars and got $730. Dominican dollars..............did i get ripped off??

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes

It cost you about 8.75 as close as I can figure(thats us dollars)130 pesos=13 bucks Canadien....Or maybe closer to eight bucks

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

$730 Dominican pesos for $50US? Yep you got fleeced! That come out to an exchange rate of 14.6%. The current rate is hovering around 17%.

In Miami I just drive down to the Allahpata area(the Dominican slum area) and exchange there at various travel agencies. last time I got 19%

BTW Marc never pay a cab driver in Dollars. Why should we? The currency is Dominican pesos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast