Deaf Protest Event - Santo Domingo

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
On September 30, 2015 - More than 2,000 deaf people all over in Dominican Republic will be part of this historic event to protest front of President house in Santo Domingo at 11am. This protest will send a message to DR Government to improve:

- Deaf Education
- Jobs for deaf
- Allow deaf people to have driver license to drive
- Require to provide sign language interpreter for any reason
- Build a new deaf school (The project I am working on, they support the cause)
- and many more

I hope there will be new improvements in 2016 for the deaf community in Dominican Republic!

Flyer provided below:

fLK098R.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
And they expect to be heard? (pun intended)
I can't see those restricted being heard when those completely fit are dismissed. And can you imagine the abuse.

Nice gesture but I don't think DR is ready to shoow compassion to those less fortunate, maybe in anoother 100 years.

As sad as it is. But thanks for the info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many play music so loud they effectively cannot hear the horn either. in many countries deaf people can drive legally without a problem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i read that article too.

ley 241 sobre transitio de vehiculos de motor is from 1967 (under balaguer) and is pure joy to read (like many laws from that period).
http://hoy.com.do/la-ley-241-2/
El art?culo 32 establece una gama de individuos que por diferentes trastornos f?sicos y mentales no son aptos para disponer de una licencia de conducir como retrasados mentales, enajenados mentales (locos), deformaciones f?sicas graves que impidan conducir un veh?culo de motor, alteraci?n card?aca severa, epil?pticos, visi?n por debajo de 0.5, sordos, disposici?n f?cil a la fatiga, disminuci?n grave de concentraci?n, enfermedades contagiosas y ahora debe incorporarse a esos motivos el s?ndrome de down, alzeimer, SIDA, drogadictos y alcoh?licos comprobados.

this law has been modified, thou. several times. ley de transito simply says that requisite for the license is "Estar en capacidad mental y f?sica para ello" and that the license can be cancelled based on "disposici?n del Instituto Nacional de Tr?nsito y Transporte Terrestre basada en la imposibilidad permanente f?sica o mental para conducir, soportado en un certificado m?dico".

i would like to hear a definite answer on that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
yeah, i read that article too.

ley 241 sobre transitio de vehiculos de motor is from 1967 (under balaguer) and is pure joy to read (like many laws from that period).
The laws against animal cruelty in the current Ley del Medio Ambiente are another case in point.

Many Dominicans, including my husband, are partly or completely deaf. Combination of exposure to noise and cousin marriages.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Who would be foolish enough to tell them you are deaf? Wife accuses me of deafness yet I drive all over the DR. When Amet stops me I play no speakee Spanish and go on my way. Cant they just pretend to hear? This is such a nutty country. So driving drunk is ok but not driving deaf. The need to petition for deaf rights speaks volumes about what a nutso place the DR really is. Not like we did not know but someone needs to warn the incoming.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
New flyer posted on Facebook:

YjHpP8Gl.png

The fact is 1% deaf people in DR do drive and less than .5% has no car, they rely on public transportation. That needs to change, why? They wont hire deaf people. We want to change that.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Update: The protest will take its place tommorrow at 9am front of the captiol. If you wanna go and see what it looks like, help yourself. Its gonna be interesting!