Misinformation on speed limits

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Below is an article in DRI today:

Rounding up cattle to improve Samana highway safety

The Consorcio Autopistas del Nordeste and Boulevard Turistico del Atlantico road companies met with government authorities and neighborhood associations yesterday, Thursday 10 September 2015 to find joint solutions to reduce the traffic accidents on the two highways that they manage. The highways are the only two built under a concessions system that pegs government payments to their usage.

The high cost of tolls means that the roads are underused, which places a heavy burden on taxpayers, due to unfavorable contracts signed during the Leonel Fernandez government.

To exacerbate the problem, the highways are considered among the country's most dangerous roads due to design and construction flaws that require drivers to comply with the indicated slower set driving speeds.

During a meeting in Monte Plata, the companies called for improved public education and increased awareness among ranchers to prevent them to stop cows and horses from straying from their pastures and walking on to the highway.

They also agreed to implement joint measures such as building municipal pens at strategic points and in villages along the highway, and hiring cowboys to round up the animals that enter the highway.

While the stray animals are a major cause of accidents, the main cause is speeding by drivers. The highway speed limits are 80 kph; 50 kph in the Los Haitises Park area. Most other highways in the country allow for consistent driving speeds of 100 kph.

http://eldia.com.do/autopistas-nord...para-evitar-accidentes-por-cruce-de-animales/

Unless something has changed in the past 9 months, and the DGTT booklet on driving that you get when you train and take the driving test in DR has not changed, then highlighted bold text in the story is quite wrong and I cannot find reference to it in the attached article.

The only road in the country with a maximum speed limit above 80km/hr is Autovia del Este to my understanding of what is written in the DGTT booklet (page 93 to be precise under section 9 Velocidad) and what I have seen signposted during my travels. It alone is stated as having a 100km/hr limit.........does this extend up the new road along the coast past Bavaro?? What is the limit on highway 2 west....my recollection is that there are 80km/hr signs posted? Duarte is definitely 80km/hr as stated and it is sign posted often.

If I am correct that the speed limit maximums are as the DGTT booklet and have not changed, then we need to caution readers who may think otherwise.

But do beware of cattle, mules and donkeys on highways at all times especially at night

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the main road from navarrete to santiago has 80 km/hr limit. not that anyone drives there that slow...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"But do beware of cattle, mules and donkeys on highways at all times especially at night"
....and Dominicans.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you stick to the posted speed limit here you might get passed by Cattle and anything else that moves.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I don't see too many speed limit signs.....anywhere except the toll roads

In which case it could be either 50km/hr for zona rural, 35km/hr zona urbana, 25km/hr zona escolar or 15km/hr zona militar

And it is AMET that cop you for speeding.

Now you know. You are adults so drive as you wish.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I admit to being 'care free' fast & loose initially...
but it doesn't take long before you realize that the Grim Reaper can be just around the next bend.....

As CB used to say, the things that we all found fun in the beginning are the things that you begin to dislike after a few years.

The wild west attitude , the lack of structure/rules, all these things become impediments as you try to live a 'normal' life.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The only road in the country with a maximum speed limit above 80km/hr is Autovia del Este to my understanding of what is written in the DGTT booklet (page 93 to be precise under section 9 Velocidad) and what I have seen signposted during my travels. It alone is stated as having a 100km/hr limit.........does this extend up the new road along the coast past Bavaro?? What is the limit on highway 2 west....my recollection is that there are 80km/hr signs posted? Duarte is definitely 80km/hr as stated and it is sign posted often.

If I am correct that the speed limit maximums are as the DGTT booklet and have not changed, then we need to caution readers who may think otherwise.

But do beware of cattle, mules and donkeys on highways at all times especially at night
There are sections of autopista Duarte with a stated speed limit of 100 km/h. At least one time we had a flat tire and where we stopped, I noticed the speed limit sign.

As for why people drive so fast, other than regular recklessness and lack of consistent Amet speed controls, I also think many people confuse the two measurements on the speedometer. Most cars in the country are models designed for the American market and that means that the speedometers have MPH in very large fonts and KPH in smaller fonts. Perhaps many people notice the speed limits and then confuse MPH for KPH. This is quite a scary thought, especially when the KPH limit is 100.

Another possibility is that in the really old and beat up cars, a significant percentage of them probably don't have working speedometers anyway.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I drive regularly from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana or la Romana and sometimes I take a bus ..either way , if the car or bus is going at 100 klm ,then there will be at lesat five times more vehicles passing than being passed . The only speed signs I see are on las Americas ..and that has dozens of accidents every week.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Nals you have to be kidding with this statement. First off in order to call this mistake they would have to know the difference. Then I doubt if most cars are made for the american market. Most of them I see only have KPH. You would also then have to think that they had some intention of obeying a speed limit.

Most cars in the country are models designed for the American market and that means that the speedometers have MPH in very large fonts and KPH in smaller fonts. Perhaps many people notice the speed limits and then confuse MPH for KPH. This is quite a scary thought, especially when the KPH limit is 100.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Nals you have to be kidding with this statement. First off in order to call this mistake they would have to know the difference. Then I doubt if most cars are made for the american market. Most of them I see only have KPH. You would also then have to think that they had some intention of obeying a speed limit.

Most cars in the country are models designed for the American market and that means that the speedometers have MPH in very large fonts and KPH in smaller fonts. Perhaps many people notice the speed limits and then confuse MPH for KPH. This is quite a scary thought, especially when the KPH limit is 100.

Not so ..Ford vehicles that are sold here distinctly say that the car is specifically for overseas sale and the speedometer is very clearly in KPH

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know about the cars you all are driving, but the 3 that we own all have a button that switches the display from MPH to KPH.

The thing I don't like about it is that it also changes the temp display to celsius, and I've got a mental block converting it on the fly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I don't know about the cars you all are driving, but the 3 that we own all have a button that switches the display from MPH to KPH.

i think most cars in DR have a speedometer dial rather than electronic display?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Don't convert. Accept that 27 and up is hot to stifling, 22 and below cool to cold and perfect (at least for me) is between 22 - 26.

0 is freezing
100 is boiling

The only reason to convert is to compare. If you don't need to compare don't do it. In just a short time you accept that 30 degrees becomes the point to start complaining about how hot it is. As the number gets bigger, the louder you complain. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i think most cars in DR have a speedometer dial rather than electronic display?

When you hit the convert button, the speedometer lights up differently. The MPH fades out and the KPH lights up. [It's not digital]

Only my external temperature gauges are digital.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When you hit the convert button, the speedometer lights up differently. The MPH fades out and the KPH lights up. [It's not digital]
Only my external temperature gauges are digital.

:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles whaaaa? there is a button that does that? it took me few weeks to figure our how to move side view mirrors in my car, i am a self confessed vehicular ignoramus.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles whaaaa? there is a button that does that? it took me few weeks to figure our how to move side view mirrors in my car, i am a self confessed vehicular ignoramus.

On the car I drive, it's a button with a M on it - I think for "metric". When you push it, everything changes to kilometers, celsius, etc.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Most cars sold in DR are used and shipped mostly from USA.