Good ?normal? clubs in Puerta Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
So yeah, just came back from Sosua. First time in the DR and I liked it. Nice beaches, good food, friendly people and cheap.

Obviously I had to get used to the vibe in the DR, not that is crazy dangerous but definatly not like San Francisco. Also I am Asian, so I don?t ?look local?. Sosua was good too, ?sex vibe?, it is what it is.

Also went to Cabarette, not into surfing and did a couple of excursion.

I want to experience more local culture. Should I be hitting up Puerta Plata again or hit up Santo Domingo?

My question is: Where do the locals hang out? Are there like local clubs (normal, non-prostitute), are these places safe for foreigners. What about malls or gyms?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I think La Vega might have what you want, no tourists, a few clubs and my personal fav, cock fights.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Which clubs are local? Any names? Are there also disco's?

Hop a moto in POP, and tell him you want to go to El Consulado. There are three disco type bars right next to each other. Local flair can be found there, but I would urge you to NOT go alone, and be careful.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hop a moto in POP, and tell him you want to go to El Consulado. There are three disco type bars right next to each other. Local flair can be found there, but I would urge you to NOT go alone, and be careful.

el Consulado is long gone. it then became La Embajada, since progress has to be made. then it changed names again. it is just as worthless as it was 10 years ago, and an absolute waste of time, unless you want to be in the company of obeses ghetto beasts.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
el Consulado is long gone. it then became La Embajada, since progress has to be made. then it changed names again. it is just as worthless as it was 10 years ago, and an absolute waste of time, unless you want to be in the company of obeses ghetto beasts.

Those three bars change names more than you change your shorts Gordon. Ask any moto to take you to El Consulado, and you are there. As far as the rest of your post, many couples go there (especially the bar to the right of it) and dance the night away on a fairly tiny dance floor. Nobody pays much attention to the skanks that are lookin around for someone just like you..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Those three bars change names more than you change your shorts Gordon. Ask any moto to take you to El Consulado, and you are there. As far as the rest of your post, many couples go there (especially the bar to the right of it) and dance the night away on a fairly tiny dance floor. Nobody pays much attention to the skanks that are lookin around for someone just like you..

we must be talking about different places, then. to my knowledge, Consulado is on Penetracion del Muelle. there is no bar on that street where couples go to dance the night away.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
guys, please, more advice and less musings, ok?

it's been a loooong time i went to any local places, back then it was all about la canita and terraza caribe. i don't know if they are fit for a tourist thou. it is local music, super loud. local people, only spanish spoken. and there was at least one shooting in la canita so probably not so safe either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh yeah. there is a drink behind next gas station on manolo tavarez justo, corner with avenida colon. and at isla gas station on 12 de julio. and several more drink places on the streets leading from 12 de julio towards the malecon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
oh yeah. there is a drink behind next gas station on manolo tavarez justo, corner with avenida colon. and at isla gas station on 12 de julio. and several more drink places on the streets leading from 12 de julio towards the malecon.

make sure you check the girls carefully, to see if they come in with a guy. some gringos seem to get this idea that all the girls are looking for them, but trying to pick up the wrong girl could end up pretty ugly.

Chinatown

Sep 11, 2015
Thanks for the tips. I think the next time I will hit up Santo Domingo for ?high end clubs?.

Puerta Plata better for beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.