Well folks, I am off!

johns

Jan 7, 2002
Well folks, here I am, listening to Jacques Brel singing ?Ne Me Quitte Pas?, as I write this. That is culture! A comment for those of you who remember my previous posts on the subject. However, I have decided to contradict Brel and actually ?quitte?!

I have come to the sad conclusion that DR is not the place for me! So I really have no reason to continue writing on this board and post negative remarks and challenge peoples reasons for moving to DR, do I?

Here are some very personal reasons for my ?quitte? :

DR is for me much too isolated! Not only isolated but insular as well with the mentality that is typical for islanders. The local culture is too narrow and consists basically of dancing and drinking. Call is festival, call it concert, call it disco, call it whatever you like, but the bottom line is that people dance and drink and that?s it! And spending an evening in the street, drinking beer, listening to screaming bachata from cracked loudspeakers and watching guys playing domino? Well, I can, kind of, do without that?

More on isolation: My main interest and hobby is to travel! I find DR a not too good base for travel? Or am I wrong? Okey, give me a million dollars and I can do my travels also from DR!

It is astonishingly expensive! Housing, cars, even food, in an ordinary supermarket! I can not understand how regular Dominican people make ends meet??? I enjoy going to a restaurant at least twice a week but in Santo Domingo, I need mucho pesos to afford that! I remember what I pay for gourmet meals in Thailand! And if I can not buy everything cash, I cringe by the figures I have seen for interest rates on loans, rates that would be criminal in my home country!

Corruption and lack of infrastructure! I hate to live in a country, where my well being depends on knowing the right people!?

Lack of information in any other language than Spanish! I can not understand how in God?s name a city of 2 million people can be without even ONE newspaper in English??? Yes, I know, I know, I have to learn Spanish but that just won?t happen overnight and until then I am without news??? Yes, yes, I know there is news in English on DR1, but I dislike having breakfast with a computer on my kitchen table, and it would be nice to enjoy my Sunday morning coffee outdoors with a good ol? fashioned newspaper in my hands.

Jobs? I am more pessimistic than ever of finding a job in DR that is anywhere near my requirements for content and compensation package. When I last worked in Sweden, I made the equivalent of 45.000 pesos a month and I make a lot more now. Should I give that up for a mere 20.000 pesos or so (?) for touting excursions to tourists?

Getting stranded? I have a fear of taking a huge risk at my age (45) for little compensation and risking getting trapped in DR! And believe me, it is NOT an added bonus in your C.V. to have worked in DR when you want to return to Europe, unless you have had a very special job in DR or have found your own niche!

DR is a great place for a vacation, but to live there? Nah?

What did I see? Well, I saw Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, La Romana, San Christobal (for some odd reason?), Samana, Jarabacoa and Puerto Plata.

Well, I stop here?

Before I leave: Thank you Grahame, for your hospitality and good advise! I enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife! And Pib, we only met for coffee but it was my best coffee break in a long time! Brenda, please forgive me for not returning your phone call but something came up? As for some other folks I had wanted to meet, well, things does not always work out as planned, do they?

As for my future, I will now start planning my next travel. My hobby, remember! I have a colleague at work who has climbed K2 and he will advise me about trekking in the Himalayas and climbing Mt Kinabalu on Borneo. I see that as a less risky challenge than moving to DR?

Adios!
/JohnS

PS. Speaking of the Caribbean, I just read an article in The Economist (Jan 12th) about the number of murders per capita in Jamaica, Trinidad/Tobago, Bahamas and Barbados. Scary!!!
I know (hope!!!) things are different in DR but still?

By the way, can you even buy ?The Economist? in DR? It is in English and so, by definition, unavailable and most probably unknown? Sorry for my little sarcasm?

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
Bon Voyage!

johnS post, as many others I have seen should be saved for posterity, together with the success stories.
Perhaps Dr. Rob could create an area where the rest of the gang could send other prospective new comers to the island. So in the next case where somebody else comes in boasting:

I'm a rocket scientist, among other things,and I'm packing up everything I got, including the snow-blower and moving to the DR. Where can I get a job splitting atoms?

Somebody could send him/her to that area to read horror and success stories of others. Example HB, who owns half of Santiago, and AZB, who owns the other half. And in the future, Jan, Gobernadora de San Cristobal.:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
It is sad, but I am not suprised the least. John doesn't have what it takes to live here (no, I am not belittling him), he was going to find out sooner or later, fortunately for all involved it was sooner.

The heart may be a lousy advisor to the head. Serve this as a warning to others...

Farewell viking.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The DR is not for everyone...thank God for that. Just reminds me of a man we knew when we lived there. He was American, unfortunately, and had worked at one of the Banks for about 12 years. One day he was particularly perturbed about some minor thing and made the following statement' " I don't understand these damn Dominicans, I have lived here 12 years and they still haven't learned English!" The true definition of Ugly American. He may still live there and if he does, he probably is still waiting for them to learn his language.

John, it's a good thing you found that the DR doesn't meet your standards. You would not have been happy and that would be sad. Just remember that it is not the DR's responsibilty or any other country's to meet your needs.

Bon Voyage, hope you enjoy your travels.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
I hear ya buddy, I hear ya. Another year, tops, and we'll be heading back to civilization also. At least now you know what is important to you, and how the little things in life DO matter!

happy trails
marc

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
oh yeah...another thing...

As for not posting anymore, your experience here does not get erased from your memory when you clear customs at the airport. Even if they had that sort of equipment, they would have modified it so that it no longer works, and if it did still work they would have it hooked up to an "infinity" invertor system (ie it would have no power left in it after the first day). IF IT STILL worked, they would have no idea how to use it...

Long story short, you will probably have better advice to offer than most people that post to the board. Your time here is not a failure, it is extremely valuable and many could benefit from it....

your call!

marc (who would have edited his first post but knows darn well he'll never hit Platinum doing something that stupid!)

Gemini

Jan 5, 2002
I have to agree with alot of what you said John. Even though I love the beach and the tropical weather there are some things I definately need i.e. electricity and running water (hot and cold) 24/7. I've done the staying in town thing and know what it's like to have the power go off for hours on end. Not my idea of paradise. Plus I live in a multicultural city where there are newspapers and television programs in every language imaginable, fresh produce year round at reasonable prices, a myriad of cultural and entertainment things available to do and quality health care available to all etc etc. But the cold weather, snow and crime are things I could do without. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and what your needs and wants are. Like you, I find the DR a great place to visit, but I don't think I could ever live there unless I won the lottery and could afford the things that are considered luxuries there, but are basics here. Good luck with wherever your travels take you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At this time of the night I couldn't care less

Well John, it seems that you just want too much from our little country. A shame.
However, it often happens with folks that have rigid conditions that have to be met in order to live somewhere.
Obviously, you are well into middle age, no wife, no kids?
That is good.

And with your multi lingual talents, you certainly have a lot to offer and good things to put down on your CV.

I am, however, surprised that the only job offer you received was to hype time shares at resorts.

the key to the highest salaries (besides being born into the right families) is to get hired overseas and come here with the full package. If a Dutch company hires you, you will get 150% of your salary and can retire with 20 years of service in just 10 years because of the "hardships" of living here....

And as far a "culture" is concerned, you just did'nt go to the right places.

And the Economist is available here..So is the WSJ and the NY Times....

Sorry, but hey! That's life..

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
This is why there is a whole world out there! What is good for one person is not good for another. I for one am glad everyone is not a clone.....You find the place that is right for you and be there..sometimes it takes your whole life searching but isn't that what life is? One big adventure...everyone needs something different and the fun of it is searching to find what is right for you! Hope you find your special place someday!

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Most interesting thing para gente son gente,no?

Johns, I totally respect your reasons for leaving the D.R. and whish you good luck on your future adventures.

Let us know after you climbed
the peaks of K2 and Mt Kinabalu what is more interresting and exiting in the long run : The anatomy of those beautiful Dominacanas or the proud landscapes of the Himalayas and Borneo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Adios y viento fresco!"

I resist the urge to berate and insult you.But I do question your judgement.What,did you just land here one day and start "living in Santo Domingo? Or did you spend a week at an "All-Intrusive",and think "Wow I love the Dominican Republic,I think I,ll move there?"What made you come here in the first place?You say that we are,"isolated", and have a "mentality that is tipical of "Islanders"! Duh!, Get out a map! We are "Islanders"! Thank God we have "the mentality of islanders"! "Islanders" are,kind,gentle,self-sufficient,have limited "wants",and welcome "strangers".What you see as a "lack of culture,"drinking,and dancing",(I will add,eating,playing dominoes,and yes,we make love) is our culture.We socialize,We comminicate.We bond.Go to an "industrialized" country on a Sunday afternoon,what do you see,nothing! Everyone is inside watching TV!,and not even "watching TV" together! Everyone in their own room! What do you see in the Dominican Republic on a Sunday afternoon? You see every man,woman,and child,out and about! Families doing nothing more than "being together".To criticize the DR. for not having an "infrastructure" is like criticizing a car because it is not an airplane! We don,t "fly",but we do "get there,"eventually"!The Dominican Republic and its, people are not rich in "material" things,but they are rich in Intangibles.There is a rich Culture!Not a carbon copy of Europe,or Asia,or North America.A rich "Dominican" Culture! Here the Family is paramount! In my house we have four generations. Oldest is "Great Grandmother,"Mai",95 years young! Youngest is Thomas JR.four,soon to be the "2nd. youngest",as my wife will give birth in May.Now,to "end" this interminable post,what is most needed to live comfortably in the Dominican Republic,is not electricity,or water,or a "jeepetta",or the "Sunday Times"(New York or London,you decide)it is a "FAMILY"! Criss Colon

MaxxJaxx

Almost Silver...
Jan 1, 2002
Good Luck

I agree with much of what Johns wrote.

As always Criss Colons trite comments make him look silly.

Good Luck and thanks for HONEST feedback, some people like this place others hate it. I am just trying to learn how to tolerate it and keep a sense of humour while I am here.

Maxx

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Wellfolks,I am off! Yes Johns,"Way Off"! the mark

Sorry if I made Johns look silly "MAXX",my intent was to make him look "shallow","ignorant",and "narrow minded"."Maxx" you are starting to take me too seriously.You don,t have to respond to my every post as if it were directed to you.I have 5 "puppies" at home who follow me where ever I go,I don,t need you doing the same thing on DR1.Why don,t you ,Johns(that means,"A lot of Toilets") stateside,and Marc,"join forces", and "Get the Hell Out of Dodge!" we don,t need any more "sangihuelas" here.Criss Colon

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Chriss has the idea

The DR is not the modern marvel of the world. It never will be and that's not a bad thing. I live in Colorado, my sons live in Pennsylvania, my granddaughter in Indiana, five sisters, kentucky, Missouri and Nevada, mother and dad, Nevada, Aunts and uncles and cousins, too many places to name. from a small town in Illinois we are naow spread out so far we can't get everyone to attend a family reunion once every two years. I envy those who are able to be with their families on a Sunday afternoon. I remember the paseos down the Malecon, etc. No the DR is not for everyone and if you don't like it there's a place for you somewhere else, but don't denigrate what so many others love.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My last thoughts on this

Compare the suicide rates for the DR and Sweden!!

Here if a guy or gal offs him or herself, it is because of passion. Maybe the guy just killed his best friend or his mistress of his son in a fit of rage. Maybe the gal has been jilted by the guy she gave her virginity to, or just found out that he was cheating on her. Passion...

In Sweden they commit suicide because something in their lives is not right. Maybe they don't have enough concert halls, or can't get the Economist on time. Shoot, everything else is given to them on a platter...

Sorry, but I agree more with Criss Colon...

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chalk & Cheese

Four people came to my house just over a week ago. A Swede via Saudi Arabia with his Dominican (from Santo Domingo) girl-friend, & a couple from America. Their ages were pretty idetical. We sat & chatted about the DR in some detail as the three non Dominicans were interested in coming to live here.

The Swede seemed quite negative about the experiences he had had so far & couldn't decide if he wanted to come back - what did I think? Then there were a lot of "Yes - But's". He returned to Santo Domingo & listened to records & tapes for his culture.

The Americans on the other hand, went down to Samana, stayed at guest houses & met all the locals - They had a blast. They are back for supper with us tomorrow night & I can't wait to hear all their exploits. They WILL be back to live here very soon, it is just a matter of making it as quick & as simple as possible for them. We will be VERY happy to give them all the help, guidance & benefit of OUR experinces here to help them meet their objectives.

Moral of this little epistle? It is not so much a matter of looking for culture, English newspapers (by the way, they ARE available here, just a few days older than in America or England etc), it is a matter of KNOWING what you are looking for & going out & finding it. A positive approach, an optimistic outlook gets you a lot further thas a negative one! Opening up to people is a daily experience here & always rewarding - a closed approach leaves you very much on your own.

JohnS - time for you to sit down with someone who knows you very well (a REAL close friend) & chat over with him/her what you REALLY want to do with your life. The trained Psycotherapist in our household suggests that you don't really know what you are looking for yet & that the questions you ask are not your TRUE questions. Your close friend - one that knows you VERY well - is the one to ask, not those of us on this board who can only respond to your questions/statements as written here.

Sorry if that sounds hash, it is meant constructively NOT destructively - honest!
Best wishes in whatever you decide to do - Grahame

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Well I moved here 2 months ago,against many of the DR1'ers warnings. I love it here. Bt it's not easy. It is such a challenge and I love it! My dog got hit by a truck and may be blind for the rest of her life! I haven't found work yet! But I have met some of the most wonderful people and am so glad I came here. What I love most about this country is what bothers me most tho. I love the relaxed atmosphere...people don't worry about much..."No Problemo" but on the other hand its hell when trying to get someone to help you and trying to conduct business. I guess I'm still in that American mode there...but in time I'm sure all will be "no problemo" tambien!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
So Long Johns

First, the minute I saw this guy posting an "s" after John I knew he wasn't going to make it. But if you go back to one of my old very hated postings where I said the famous words.."we are looking for tourists not settlers" it should give you an idea of the meaning of my statement.

This country is not for the faint hearted. I keep saying you need money, but some people don't believe me. After a while when your money is gone you begin to feel the green slime covering you all over. If you are a girl you begin to think...what about my body? Can I use it just in case? And then you begin to understand why many Dominican women first ask you what do you do for a living and what kind of a car you drive before they ask you your name.

These are requirements to survive: Buena cotorra, muela, sinverguenseria,chuleria,jodedera,lambedera,limpiasaquismo,enllaves o si no muchos cuartos mi hermano.......

TW