Driving from Santiago airport to Las Terrenas ...

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
My group of 9 is flying into Santiago next March, then planning to drive together to a rental house in Las Terrenas. The latter half of the drive would likely be after sunset. Having been warned about driving in the Dominican Republic, I at least want to plan out this trip as meticulously as possible so I can spend less time worrying about directions on the road and more time keeping my eyes open for hazards. (I will have a GPS.) What would be the best route to take? I guess I'd sacrifice a bit of time in exchange for simplicity and fewer turns. And what is the approximate time it takes to make this drive? Thanks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I answered your post on TA. I'll just repeat one important rule: do not drive this route at night!

Spend a night at the Gran Almirante, have a nice breakfast and then hit the road.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't think you could have picked an airport further away from your destination. From Santiago you either need to drive north and follow the coast East until you get to Las Terrenas or drive south to SD, east to the toll road then head north and then turn right to Las Terrenas.

I can't tell you which route is better as they both suck and suck even more after dark. The SD route might be a marginally better choice from a practical point of view. I would think that you have at least a 5 hours drive probably longer and longer still after dark. I choose not to drive any road here for the first time in the dark.

Very few direction signs, even fewer that you have any chance of seeing in the dark. You need to concentrate on driving and someone else who can read a map needs to navigate or at least verify what your gps is telling you.

Good luck, your trip is certainly going to start with an adventure.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The journey takes 4 hours in the bus from the center of Santiago so will be more like 3.5 from the airport. Go south on Highway 1 towards Santo Domingo. Past the exit to La Vega, then turn left on Route 19 towards San Francisco de Macoris. Straight through SFM then bear right on 132 towards Nagua. When you get to El Albanilo don't bear left towards Nagua but go straight on to Arenoso. You will then hit the Santo Domingo Samana highway. Turn left onto highway then when you reach the end of it, turn right to Las Terrenas.

Matilda

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Matilda's route is the best way but not at night for me. Gringos idea via SD is no good day or night. I still say spend a night in Santiago and then drive in the a.m.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You could go up to Sos/Cab and spend the nigh ... then day drive along the north coast

That would be about 2 - 2.5hrs
One to Cabrera..... and one + a bit to LT from there

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have done the route from Sosua/Cabarete to Las Terrenas many times, I recommend this route via the coast, it is more scenic and perhaps easier to follow.

Start in the morning and make you way down to Puerto Plata, then to Sosua and then to Cabarete. Stop by in Cabarete beach and have a rest, food, drink etc. . The beach is great and there are lots of kites and wind surfers to watch and photo. You go right through the town and by the beach, just park were there is no "No Parking" sign on the road.

Then continue east, Rio San Juan, then Nagua (I usually have a short stop here too). Once you get to Samana avoid the over priced 500p Samana airport toll road and go around (turn right) towards Samana city but just before, turn left and up the mountain/hill - stop at the top for some scenic view and photo shoot opportunity. Drive very slowly up this hill. Down the hill is the Las Terrenas. You can also go through the toll road if you are in a hurry and approaching nightfall, but make sure you go up the hill on your way back or as a small trip. The bay of Samana city you see from the mountain is where the whales come in Feb.

Drive carefully and slowly, watch for motors and people in populated areas (and even unpopulated areas), watch the potholes. But enjoy the scenery and you would be there after about 5 hours of driving (from Santiago) + whatever stop over.

Never drive at night and avoid it at all costs, there are just too many hazards on the road and not worth it, you should be at your destination by nightfall.

Pre-downloaded Google map and the GPS on the phone is enough.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Sunset.

Just a note: Sunset at Puerto Plata, is at 6:53 pm on March 15th.

Don't know what day or time in March you flight arrives. You have to allow time for Customs and Immigration clearance at Santiago, eat, and the time to acquire wheels before you hit the road. If the time window for daylight hours is under a couple hours you may consider bunking overnight in Santiago. If it is more than 3 hour daylight window you can opt to travel some distance towards Las Terrenas and stop to sleep overnight at a convenient location.

Do follow the advice of the previous posters. Do not drive at night. Roads are notorious risky, direction, warning, and hazard signage is poor. Daylight driving is the rule.

Regards and welcome to the DR.

PJT

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I've taken the drive from Santiago to LT a few times, and just followed Google Maps navigation: the highway to past La Vega to turn off to San Francisco, then to San Francisco, then drive through a couple of small towns to reach the Samana highway, pay the 522 pesos toll and you get to LT. 2.5-3 hours, and you have to have either GPS or google maps with turn by turn navigation on a phone with a data plan: cost 40 pesos for a day.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Matilda's route is the best way but not at night for me. Gringos idea via SD is no good day or night. I still say spend a night in Santiago and then drive in the a.m.

Absolutely correct.

Stay overnight near airport and take Matildas route. Travelling after dark is a no no for such a long journey.

Just a caution.....turn at El Abanico to Villa Riva where a few turns past the police station you must take a turn left to pick up the road going to Arenoso by turning left.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...2!3m1!1s0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0

Or try and fly into El Catey, Samana from New York on Jet Blue

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks everybody. This is outstanding information. I've boxed myself in with flight reservations, so its Santiago or bust if we're going to go to Las Terrenas. The flight touches down at 5:50 p.m., and with sunset at 7 p.m. at best we'll have 30 minutes of "adequate" driving. So I think I need to heed all of your advice and pull up somewhere for the evening, and then start out for LT early the next morning. However, I'd prefer not to turn inward to the city and deal with traffic. Are there any good intermediate stops en route toward LT? Hotels in Moca or San Francisco de Macoris that you'd recommend? I even see some attractive villas in the hills near La Vega that wouldn't take me too far off the recommended paths. Bottom line: I've bought off on the "adventure" already, so now I just need to look for ways to make the road trip part of this vacation fun rather than a nightmare ...

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I did the last hour of a drive from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas in the dark the first time I came here and it was not fun, I would take everyones advice and do it in daylight. The road isn't too bad, but there are speedbumps that are unmarked and unlit on the main highways, especially if you take the toll. To see one of those appear in your headlights at the last minute is not fun.

Then it gets very twisty and turny as you approach LT.

I wouldn't do it a second time!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Absolutely correct.

Stay overnight near airport and take Matildas route. Travelling after dark is a no no for such a long journey.

Just a caution.....turn at El Abanico to Villa Riva where a few turns past the police station you must take a turn left to pick up the road going to Arenoso by turning left.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...2!3m1!1s0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0

Or try and fly into El Catey, Samana from New York on Jet Blue

He's not coming from Canada, eh Will.

Jet Blue flies from JFK in NYC twice weekly in season - Sat & Wed.... a great flight, a favorite of mine #565 when I'm in NYC/PHL

My other route is YYZ - AZS on WestJet

JetBlue is the only US based airline at AZS

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I did the last hour of a drive from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas in the dark the first time I came here and it was not fun, I would take everyones advice and do it in daylight. The road isn't too bad, but there are speedbumps that are unmarked and unlit on the main highways, especially if you take the toll. To see one of those appear in your headlights at the last minute is not fun.

Then it gets very twisty and turny as you approach LT.

I wouldn't do it a second time!

I can only assume you chose not to use the toll road which is maximum 25 minutes from El Catey. You must have used the Sanchez road which is very tricky at night. Toll road is constructed well and no problem to drive at night and the last few kms into LT are equally no problem......I lived in Coson for 6 months and did that journey at all hours.

OP should have chosen SDQ or AZS and not STI....even POP and La Romana are closer time wise.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
OP is coming from Minn. so AZS is way difficult with 2 flights/week ex USA. Agree SDQ much better option for going to see LT.

OP should have chosen SDQ or AZS and not STI....even POP and La Romana are closer time wise.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Traffic in Santiago isn't really all that bad. Heading into the city will be fine as a departure point the next morning.

I've driven the Santiago to Samana route twice and 100% do not recommend to do it at night.

Start out a bit before sunlight, but not too early. There is a turn you need to make which is a bit tricky. It's after La Vega and where you enter for El Pino. You'll have to cross over the highway and the turn is not marked, so keeping your eyes peeled is a must.

After that, the only other tricky part is before you come to the SD to Samana highway. You'll go through residential streets which look like you're completely off course. That's actually the right road though.

It's not bad during daylight but at night it's a whole different monster.

Jeremy Olson

Sep 12, 2015
I'll admit it; I looked before I leaped. A very temporary price drop in fares to STI compelled me to buy tickets quickly -- and I got a great deal that disappeared in less than an hour! But no doubt driving out of Santo Domingo would have been preferred. All of this information is terrific, thanks. Still pondering the best location to hunker down near the airport until dawn, though ... Suggestions?