guardianship

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife would like to bring her cousins' daughter, who is her goddaughter also, up here to Canada for a year of high school. If we bring her up as a international student, we're looking at an $11,000 per year school bill. If we have her signed over to us as guardians, she only needs a Visiters Visa and a Students Visa, then she has free education and is covered under my medical. Has anyone done this before and can give me some advice and what do you call this in Dominican Law. It's not adoption but what do you call it?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We consulted a person who recently went through the process for obtaining guardianship of a minor in the DR. This person explained that guardianship (la guarda) is covered in the Dominican Minors Code (Codigo del Menor).

We were told that guardianship of a Dominican minor is granted by a court decision only. It grants the responsibility for the upbringing of the minor to the guardians (up to 18 year birthday), making these responsible for the economic, social, child upbringing. The decisions of the guardians in the upbringing of the child will prevail over those of the parents. But the parents continue being her parents. The birth parents maintain the right to request the revoking of the guardianship on grounds of bad conduct or for mistreating the child at any time. Another court decision is needed to revoke the guardianship.

Adoption is non reversible. Also, interestingly, the Code establishes that the child taken into guardianship does not automatically inherit from the guardians, as would be the case of adoption.

Guardianship, with the mutual agreement of the parents, can be obtained in about six months if the parents and the guardians are in the Dominican Republic.

It is recommended that you secure the Codigo del Menor booklet, available at the Palacio de la Justicia in Ciudad Nueva, Santo Domingo and seek legal counsel on the matter.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you

I thank both Fabio and Dolores for the information, now all we have to is figure is it al guarda or custodia and how we can do it from Canada.

Ex-DR LOVER

Jan 19, 2002
I can also made an application to your provincial court in Canada to obtain guardianship of the nices. They have to be here. It is very easy to obtain and the cost is minimal. You can do it yourself without a lawyer.

Further, if you are in Ontario, the Education Act says that any kids under the age of 16 should get an education regardless of their legal immigration status. Therefore, I will not woring about student visa. I will send them to school. However, I believe that it is a good idea to obtain a GUARDIANSHIP Order in Canada.

Good luck.