Rice cooker...?

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Will be going to PP in February to stay for a couple of months. Question: Do they sell rice cookers in PP or would I have to bring my own?
With all the aroz that people eat there, I figured that it would be the norm for households to own one but, when I asked my husband about it, he had no idea what I was talking about or that such an appliance existed!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't be silly

99.99% of the households here do not have a "Rice cooker" they would think it silly.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't be silly!

99.99% of Dominican households make their rice in large aluminum "ollas" . You can learn to do rice the old fashioned way!

I like to do it the Chinese way: Measure out the rice, wash it very well to get rid of the dust, put it in a cast iron pot, and the same amount of water plus a tiny bit more, some salt
Bring to a boil, cover, lower flame to barest possible to keep the rice bubbling. 18 minutes +/-. Turn off fire, and let sit for 15 minutes.
Uncover and stir with big spoon.
Dominicans do not like this method, since there is no "Con-Con", hard cooked rice that sticks to the bottom of the pan...hell on teeth but great flavors...
I figure that the Chinese know more about rice than the Dominicans. Plus they don't like to lose a large percentage to the "con-con" ....

Wanna try it?? Besides you will always have gas but not electricity....

HB

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Pot vs Rice cooker...

I'm Chinese and I've never cooked rice in a cast iron pot before. Cooking rice using the rice cooker ensures that your rice turns out perfect every time and you don't have to watch that it doesn't burn...and get the hard bits! It's funny how different cultures who eats rice as a staple think about those "hard bits". Chinese people think that when you get those "bottom pot stickers" in your rice, you really don't know how to cook rice. Those hard bits of bottom pot stickers are usually thrown out, given to the family pet or thrown in together with the mush that they feed the pigs with.
Sigh...guess that means that I'll be bringing along a little rice cooker with me after all.
Hey Hillbilly! Do you think that there's a business opportunity here? i.e. selling rice cookers to the Dominicans. ;)

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Tony C...Our Rice Cookers!

Bet my rice cooker, National, is going to cost a lot less and be a lot less trouble to maintain than your rice cooker, Ramona, in the long run, eh? :)

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: Tony C...Our Rice Cookers!

Helen said:
Bet my rice cooker, National, is going to cost a lot less and be a lot less trouble to maintain than your rice cooker, Ramona, in the long run, eh? :)

maybe so but can your rice cooker
make your bed ?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I love my rice cooker!

I use it because I can count on it for perfect rice. We bought it in Japan. By Japan standards, it is very small, but I love it just the same. Big benefit: it is pretty automatic, as it has a timer so you can have it ready when you want.
Naming your rice cooker is not a custom in Japan. :) nor is adding tomato paste or eating con con.
However, you must have electricity to cook it in a rice cooker! So, in the end, doing it yourself over a propane flame is probably the most dependable method I can think of. In my case, you just have to learn how to get it right.
Can Romana teach me? :)

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Tony C...our rice cookers

No, to all those tasks...re: making the bed, mopping the floors, etc...But then, that's what the husband is for, right?! ;)

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
protect cooker from power surges/outages

Hi Helen:
I'm chinese too and am moving to Cabarete in two weeks. I have been debating bringing my rice cooker as well... it's just easier and you can leave the rice in it for a few days or make jook. But, DR or at least Cabarete has power outages EVERY DAY. If it's not connected to backup battery or has surge protection, it'll probably get fried. I'd bring a little one though... mine's 8 cup so I have to get one too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To Marina andHelen--Urgent!

I agree completely about the Con-Con!. It breaks your teeth and gets stuck in them, too. Makes for big dentist bills later on!!
As to the iron pot: A medium sized cast iron pot with lid is not expensive. It is heavy. The benefits are that a tiny, tiny bit of iron leaches into the rice upon cooking making it even healthier.
In any market here you can find nice aluminium " Ollas" of any size.
If you are Chinese, then you know how to cook rice. I had to learn and I do not burn or get hard bits of rice. I think that is a waste. I make excellent Chinese food, and am willing to host a dinner for you here in Santiago!

HB

You get to do the dishes!! hehehe

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Helen

Is your husband Dominican? If he is, his love for you is without question.He will die for you! No dominican likes rice from the "cooker"! If he is a Dominican,and eats your rice,keep him! I can,t believe he is Dominican! I have a big "Rice-cooker" "FREE" to a "Good Oriental Home"! Criss Colon I learned to cook rice in Thailand.and the dominicans hate it !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A question for you Criss...

Do you get really HOT peppers there in SDQ??

I also do Thai, so if you are going to make a trip up here, lemme know, okeys???

HB

P.S. No much Thai, but i am willing to learn..hint, hint...

And our "Rice Cooker"is called Yolanda and she has been doing very well for over 20 years!! World's best Sancocho Cooker....
World's Greatest Saute?d Goat Cooker!! But a real pain in the arse...hehehe

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
HB,

When we lived there my Dad used to get a pepper called a Birdseye that was real hot. When we lived at Cabo Rojo he used to grow them. They were very hot. small, about 1/2 "+ in diameter, roundish and red. He remembers them fondly and has been trying for years to find seeds for them here in the States.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly, CrissColon, & the rest of you "rice" connoisseurs

Hillbilly, I will take you up on the offer of a cooked meal when I make it to Santiago. I've got a dishwasher whom I'll bring along with me so he can do the dishes...hehehe
Criss...Indeed, I'm a real lucky gal. My hubby is Dominican and loves my Chow Fan. I also make an excellent sticky rice. Anyone interested?! We can make it a Chinese cuisine night in Santiago at Hillbilly's...what do you say?!
I was previously from Malaysia so, I make curries (Indian, Malaysian and have picked up some Thai) hot enough to burn off your tongue and also, satay (similar to shish kabobs but, eaten with peanut sauce).
Making anyone hungry yet?!
Definitely bringing my 4 cup rice cooker with me...maybe, also a light weight aluminum pot per Hillbilly's idea.
Will let you know when I'm in town, Hillbilly... :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Excellent. But

Don't buy one there (aluminum pot) buy it here.

By the way--4 cups??? Not enough for my house!! Unless you are talking about 4 cups of un cooked rice....

I have 4 woks and plenty of fire...

dominicans make good peanut butter too!! Strange things do happen here. they even make spicy peanutbutter.

Email me with arrival and I will send you the contact numbers..

HB, drooling!

Gemini

Jan 5, 2002
Good one Helen - but if your hubby is Dominican, good luck getting him to do much of anything in the way of domestic chores.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
mmm spicy peanut butter

now that's something to bring home from a trip. With the oil on top!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll send you some in my next mailing....

It would be my bribe so you don't tell Yoli that she is a pain in the arse!!

HB, with a smile!!

Hi Bill!