Just had the best trip EVER in SD!!!!! The Good, Bad, Ugly and Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
So I went to SD again for the 2nd time. This time was much better as I stayed longer. So let me do a quick run-down (sorry for the ton of spelling errors)

The Good- I absolutely loved Hotel Boutique Palacio, this was hands down one of the best hotels ever in SD, I looked at Bilini's rooms and the top rooms at Palacio are much better than Billini's IMO. Also the prices can't be beat.

Also I loved the restaurant El Mes?n de la Cava, the food was amazing and I loved the idea of being at the bottom of a cave an the people in the restaurant were very well-behaved. I also loved Sully's (for the seafood) the service was amazing and going to this area of SD shocked me, very nice apartments and some amazing shopping stores surrounding it. Another fave restaurant of mines is Pat E Palo, although the service is horrible (very slow) but my favorite restaurant here was Pura Tasca, they had the tastiest food and the best service of all of the restaurants. This was odd because they had a small staff, but they were still prompt and gave excellent service and helped me even though I can barely say more than 2 words in Spanish.

Also I actually liked Boca Chica beach, despite what I read here, it wasn't dangerous and if you've been to NYC it becomes easy to say no gracias to the pesky people trying to sell any and everything.

The Bad- Some things I didnt like was the Malecon, this was actually one thing DR1 steered me correctly on, first off it was damn near impossible to cross the street and once you get there the Malecon water looks filthy and smells like ass! I didn't see anything interesting, it was big let down.

The Ugly- The worst part of the trip was the corruption. I tell you this country has the most corrupt police I have ever seen in my life! A friend and I were leaving a gay bar and talking to a buggarone (who I later sadly ended up falling in love with) and the police stopped us and emptied out our pockets and I had some pepper spray/mace, which from my understanding is legal in DR and he starts telling my friend in Spanish that it's illegal for anyone to carry mace/pepper spray there and that they want to take me in...now at this point I'm panicking because I've seen what the SD police apparently do to people near the Banoa River and anyone who owes them money, so finally my friend offers 500 pesos for this officer to let me go and the officer obliged. I was scared to death though and the fact that I went home and saw that mace/pepper spray isn't illegal there ****ed me off even more than a police official would do this.

Also as I was leaving SDQ, the airport guy stood beside me and then took my bag as I was leaving to go to customs and told me that for his service I need to give him $10, I told him that I didnt have $10 and gave him 50 pesos and he said NO I WANT $10 so I gave him 250 pesos and he left me alone. This also happened at a restaurant where I was stalked into giving a guy 500 pesos for a beer, after having to buy him a drink for helping me when I was lost in Colonial Zone.

Something else I dislike which makes me sad is how some gay Americans treat the gay Dominican men and buggarones. Ive heard stories about some Americans specifically going to DR knowing that they have HIV or fill-blown aids, yet still going to DR and sleeping with these young men without protection. Makes me sick to my stomach! For one that is illegal in the US, but ****es me off that someone would go to a 3rd world country and do some $hit like that, knowing that many of these young men (most younger than 22) who prostitute themselves cannot afford to live with HIV as it's damn near impossible to afford treatment....I'm not going to go into details but shame on Americans who do that! And I wish the DR would prosecute any American or European citizen who does something like that knowingly! Also I wish young poor Dominicans could be more educated on the dangers of unprotected sex.

The Ridiculous So I fell in love with 2 different Dominican men, one a buggarone and the other a university student (don't worry I am also in my 20's, not one of those old creepers who go there for men)

But when I say fell in love I mean deep in love as in I am thinking about trying to get them to come with me to the US. Damn near cried at work today thinking about one of them... Don't know how or when I'll get over wither of them. They were the only 2 guys I hooked up with while there. And before you ask no I didnt have sex with either one of them.

But overall this was a great tip and I can't wait to come back! Hopefully with a ring on it!
rs_480x309-130904104540-tumblr_m0w1cikQhb1r7u0nlo1_500.gif
Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Really great to read you had a wonderful trip.........

A few thoughts..........

You will never be able to bring a lover to the USA, so forget it !!!!!!!

Policia Nacional are legalized thugs and for the most part too darn lazy to fill out paperwork if they were to bring you to the station. Don't act afraid, play stupid, stupid gringo who speaks no Spanish. Sooner or later they will become annoyed and just leave you be. I hate to say it but you don't have a lot of la rep dom experience so if push come to shove hand over a 100 pesos bill and act like that is all you have.

One other thing, when you come to la rep dom leave your "heart" back in the states. Come, have some fun and call it a day.

Thanks for giving the board some feedback............ Couple more trips and I will be asking you for restaurant advice. LOL

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Really great to read you had a wonderful trip.........

A few thoughts..........

You will never be able to bring a lover to the USA, so forget it !!!!!!!

Policia Nacional are legalized thugs and for the most part too darn lazy to fill out paperwork if they were to bring you to the station. Don't act afraid, play stupid, stupid gringo who speaks no Spanish. Sooner or later they will become annoyed and just leave you be. I hate to say it but you don't have a lot of la rep dom experience so if push come to shove hand over a 100 pesos bill and act like that is all you have.

One other thing, when you come to la rep dom leave your "heart" back in the states. Come, have some fun and call it a day.

Thanks for giving the board some feedback............ Couple more trips and I will be asking you for restaurant advice. LOL

Just curious but why wouldn't I ever be allowed to bring a lover back to the states?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Read the sankie threads on DR1. The stories could just as easily apply to gays as well as straight relationships.
I am glad you had a nice trip.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The Palacio is a very well managed hotel with a good atmosphere so was a god choice . If you can only speak two word of spanish , then you were at a terrific disadvantage unless your two men you encountered, a male prostitute and a student ,spoke english . The police in Zona Colonial are well trained in dealing with tourists so , on this occasion, I am not going to think too harshly about them, especially when you had an illegal substance , mace is illegal , in your possession and you were engaged in picking up a prostitute . I use the airport SDQ a lot and I have never seen anyone ofer to carry cabin bags to the immigration entry . I think on this occasion and in ZC you were the victim of language difficulties .
Next time you come be prepared with some spanish and you may have a trouble free holiday . but seems 90% was good this time round

joselowe

May 5, 2015
The Palacio is a very well managed hotel with a good atmosphere so was a god choice . If you can only speak two word of spanish , then you were at a terrific disadvantage unless your two men you encountered, a male prostitute and a student ,spoke english . The police in Zona Colonial are well trained in dealing with tourists so , on this occasion, I am not going to think too harshly about them, especially when you had an illegal substance , mace is illegal , in your possession and you were engaged in picking up a prostitute . I use the airport SDQ a lot and I have never seen anyone ofer to carry cabin bags to the immigration entry . I think on this occasion and in ZC you were the victim of language difficulties .
Next time you come be prepared with some spanish and you may have a trouble free holiday . but seems 90% was good this time round

I thought it was legal in DR
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/123265-pepper-spray
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/146571-Pepper-Spray

And the weird thing is that after he took my spray a Native Dominican hustler was walking and kept turning on his stun gun and laughing...so mace/peper spray is illegal but a stun gun isn't?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............And the weird thing is that after he took my spray a Native Dominican hustler was walking and kept turning on his stun gun and laughing...so mace/peper spray is illegal but a stun gun isn't?

One of the first things you need to understand things are "legal" or "illegal" depending on the time of day, how many clouds are in the sky, what color shirt you have on, whether or not the Policia Nacional is hungry or very hungry. Get my point?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
With this being a predominantly Catholic country why are you surprised that gays are not treated equally?? Tolerance is not something that is frequently found in this country on this subject

joselowe

May 5, 2015
With this being a predominantly Catholic country why are you surprised that gays are not treated equally?? Tolerance is not something that is frequently found in this country on this subject

Huh? When did I say something about gays not being treated equally?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Its somewhere in your rant about the "ugly". I kinda lost interest but its somewhere in there

Nope not nowhere in there. I mention gay Americans abusing dominican men and dr for not promoting afe sex to poor people. Never mentioned anything about gays being treated equally
reading_is_fundamental_puzzle-r8176a084d6304804b2846d7a73a49ee1_amb07_8byvr_324_zps51409b29.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Homosexuality is very much excepted in DR, if you haven't noticed this then you need to get out more. Everyone has a gay cousin, Uncle or whatever. Infact gay men are much more accepted than gay women, why I'm not sure. There is far more tolerance to homosexuality in DR than there is in the UK, and the UK is pretty tolerant.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A straight man who sleeps with men for money. Apparently it's a dominican term

A,"straight man"?????????????????????????????? who has sex with other men for money, yeah right!!!!

He knows he isn't gay, because every time another guy "packs his fudge" he doesn't really enjoy it!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks Jose for emphasizing your sexuality, it gives your trip report so much more credibility.............ie..when I was leaving a heterosexual bar...no one cares if your straight , gay, into midgets, Hatians or a "monger

Status
Not open for further replies.