Renting a car in Santo Domingo to explore Samana ??

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I am going back to DR for 10 days and wanted to rent a car to explore Samana .

All I hear are bad things about being a tourist ( I am latino and speak Spanish fluently) and renting a car.

I don't plan on driving in or arounf SD too much ( I don't like the way they drive) but is it a good idea to rent a car ???

Also how much would it cost ballpark figure

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
May I suggest that you decide what you wish to do and see in Samana before you think about a car hire.

Equally consider what time your flight may arrive.

Your plans will help determine the type of vehicle best suited to your travels if at all.

You can check out hire rates easily on the web, however you need really need to add third party, CDW with no excess, tyre and windscreen, theft and 'casa de conductore' insurances which will certainly double or more your car hire cost. Ten days will be over a thousand at least with a SUV.

Also consider flying into El Catey AZS which is at the entrance to the Samana peninsula. Flights from NY and Canada. SDQ is just over two hours from Las Terrenas as a guide. Samana is a very good tourist destination with less of the problems you can find elsewhere.

Driving in Santo Domingo might take a newcomer aback for sure and is best avoided first trip.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
It will be my 5th time in SD... I only plan on renting for 2 days to take the trip to samana. I have accomodations in SD

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
your fifth time here ,your latino and you speak Spanish fluently .....get a set of Pelotas and hire the car ...go forth and explore

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Well all I hear are bad things ! I don't want to get pulled over and have to bribe the cop or get in an accident and be put in jail. lol

IF I do rent a vehicle it would be for only like 2 days.... and it would be to visit Pedernales or Samana

May 5, 2007
May I suggest that you decide what you wish to do and see in Samana before you think about a car hire.

Equally consider what time your flight may arrive.

Your plans will help determine the type of vehicle best suited to your travels if at all.

You can check out hire rates easily on the web, however you need really need to add third party, CDW with no excess, tyre and windscreen, theft and 'casa de conductore' insurances which will certainly double or more your car hire cost. Ten days will be over a thousand at least with a SUV.

Also consider flying into El Catey AZS which is at the entrance to the Samana peninsula. Flights from NY and Canada. SDQ is just over two hours from Las Terrenas as a guide. Samana is a very good tourist destination with less of the problems you can find elsewhere.

Driving in Santo Domingo might take a newcomer aback for sure and is best avoided first trip.

I haven't been to Santo Domingo area in some time, but can't you pick up the "new" Samana highway east of SD without
driving in the city?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Just be careful where you drive especially at night. Low or no lights at night and in the campo livestock sometimes roam the streets.
Plus, always remember there is someone or something behind you when you are backing up.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Family rented on last Wednesday from Avis at Las Americas and returned on Saturday at the Malecon location (near Hilton Santo Domingo). It was their mid-level car, Nissan X-trail (?) and the bill came to approx. $574.00. Drop off fee for a different location was $20.00. My family rents from Avis every time they visit. Never had a problem. Are they more expensive, probably but when renting a car here you really want peace of mind...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
3 days for $574 is a rip off, I use Alamo with a Chevy Spark for $20/day + insurance of $25/day.

Family rented on last Wednesday from Avis at Las Americas and returned on Saturday at the Malecon location (near Hilton Santo Domingo). It was their mid-level car, Nissan X-trail (?) and the bill came to approx. $574.00. Drop off fee for a different location was $20.00. My family rents from Avis every time they visit. Never had a problem. Are they more expensive, probably but when renting a car here you really want peace of mind...