Relocation

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Hi all, Im very interested in relocating to DR. I am experienced in the bar and niteclub game, having one here. That would be my aim as a source of employment and business. The question is, how does it work in DR. Do you need liquor licenses, entertainment licenses, who do you order stock off, what other lagers apart from good ol Presidente' is there, where do you find info on bars for sale, is it easy to by property in DR.
HELP!

Kind regards

Jay Byers. Uk

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Whoa girl - NOT a bar or nightclub. FAR too many problems & local scams you won't know about for years!!!!

Buying property here is a cinch!!! But for Goodness sake, don't do that for at LEAST 6 months, preferably a year or two when you have got to know the customs/scam artists & local rules etc. You have got to find the lawyers/realtors/builders etc that you can trust & that should take you at least 12 months - don't you agree Chris?

I have just sent you an e-mail. Drop me a line if you feel I can help further! - Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi Jay....

I have a friend from the UK that has done exactly what you want to do.

Send Peter and email and I'm sure he will give you all the info you need.

playa.vista@codetel.net.do

My advice, don't do it. Come and live here for a while, then decide if you can "hack it" in the DR.

Being here as a tourist is so very different from living here!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Sosua

You might want to talk to some bar owners before you dive in. If you are in the Sosua area you might want to talk to Eddy at his sports bar, and Barb/Linden at the Britannia pub. I know nothing of owning a business here other than the horror stories from owners that I know, and from posts on this board.

Actually, I think 50% of the Britannia is for sale...

marc

www.thebritanniapub.com
(don't have a site for Eddy's Sports Bar)

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
Thanks

Just a thanks to those who have replied. By the way im a guy, bush baby!lol. I can tell from talking to people, its best in to be in it to win it really, would you all agree its best to rent a business before buying one, I can see this makes sense. It cant be all that bad running a business or why would there be so much investment in the DR?. Or am i being too naive or romantic?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Very naive....

I would come here and test the water for a period of time.
If you are serious about doing this, then you must be serious about finding out the pitfalls and how things work here.

Come with enough cash to burn for 6 months, spend sometime getting to know the Island, it's people and how things work.

If after 6 months of research you still want to open a bar, then go for it!

I some how have a feeling that you mind might have changed :)

I know I sound pessimistic, but I know many more foreigners that have failed than succeeded in opening a bar here.