Can you enter the DR with a felony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventurer

Sep 16, 2015
My partner and I went to the DR several years ago and 3 years ago and loved it. We want to go back again but since then he received a Felony Drunk Driving about 2 years ago and is off probation recently. We are both US citizens by the way. I did a search first but can't find definitive answer. I emailed a travel gov site but haven't heard back yet. I am asking because it seems like before they wouldn't know but with the new fingerprint thing I am reading about here I am getting nervous since we have tickets purchased for November, would that be a barrier to entry. If anyone recently knows someone who has travelled to the DR with a felony and was no problem I would feel better since we don't want to pay for flights and then have him get turned away. Or if someone has a number to call I would appreciate it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You will have no issue entering DR with a DUI on your belt. Not a thing to worry about so chill.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
They will most likely give you a license to drive a school bus.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You need at least one murder conviction and several drug charges to have a chance at not getting in.

Adventurer

Sep 16, 2015
He had 3 in his lifetime. In Michigan that is a felony now. First 2 about 16 and 19 years ago when real young. His 3rd was 2 years ago and was charged with visually impaired .085 which is technically over the limit at .08 but all 3 drinking offenses whether impaired or drunk in your lifetime is a felony now. It's not cool to drink and drive and not trying to minimize what he did.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The only issue is passports. Convicted felons are frequently asked to give up their passports until their sentence is completed. If you have a valid passport there should be no reason to deny entry.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am just surprised at the never ending list of what is now considered a felony. Failure to pay alimony and child support are also felonies in some states. A felony record will hurt someone throughout life in many ways so I think it should be reserved for major crimes.

A Slingshot is a Felony in NJ.. not to go off tangent.. but yes. they want as many people to be Felons as they can get.
Makes the population easier to control.. Felony means NO GUNS for you.. Ever.. lifetime..

I think Ayn Rand said it best..

" The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws "

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
and of course there is the voting thing

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think the only minor felony charges they would care about would be drug related. A felony for drunk driving is a rather harsh penalty. What state did this occur in?

Well you think wrong. Minor drug telated offenses are of no interest. Niether are spent terms in slightly more serious drug related offences. If you had an open charge and were on bail then you'd have issues leaving your home country, but not entering the DR. If somehow you did manage go get out and broke bail then you would still only feel the arm of the law when re entering, unless you had absconded.

If you had a more serious history of drug smuggling or suchlike then that might set off alarms, but even then it is not automatic refusal if that term is served.

But it is DR.......................

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The question is whether a person can enter the DR with a conviction for various offences in other countries and the answer is if that person can get through immigration and passport control in his own country he can enter the DR through Dominican immigration who do not have a list of all offences committed in the USA nor world wide. They have a list of interpol wanted persons.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am just surprised at the never ending list of what is now considered a felony. Failure to pay alimony and child support are also felonies in some states. A felony record will hurt someone throughout life in many ways so I think it should be reserved for major crimes.
In the police state that has become the U.S. it allows the Gov. to better control the population.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A felony conviction and any jailtime, usually results in confiscation of the passport, which would preclude entry into the D.R. for most people...unless you're a baseball player or a cappo from the hood...with access to a "manufactured" passport.

Where does this info come from? Once you serve your time in the US you have a passport.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
A felony conviction and any jailtime, usually results in confiscation of the passport, which would preclude entry into the D.R. for most people...unless you're a baseball player or a cappo from the hood...with access to a "manufactured" passport.

Really, they take your passport from you for a conviction? This surely must be a very very new procedure as there are many many criminals running around the DR from the US. They manage to get over and I doubt without a passport, and I'm pretty sure not all have access to forged passports.
Are you sure about this?

Do people just make sh1t up more than usual on this site?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Read my previous post. They do not take your passport. If you are out on bail, yes so you don't go anywhere but when you are done you have no problems traveling.

People here just post anything that comes into their mind. Ignore it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know an American guy who lives in Sosua who did 15 years in the states for murder and has been in jail a few times here on the island. He has no problem flying in and out of Puerto Plata every couple of months.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Luckily for your friend the DR seems to welcome felons!

The DR would not be the DR without them, that is for sure!

Certainly quite a few legal residents with long deep criminal history, so even to residency level they are rather tolerant, ignorant, just don't care or have a higher expectation in what they consider a real criminal.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The DR would not be the DR without them, that is for sure!

Certainly quite a few legal residents with long deep criminal history, so even to residency level they are rather tolerant, ignorant, just don't care or have a higher expectation in what they consider a real criminal.

Most of the third world/ developing countries I have visited are the same way.. More often than not, paradise seems to be a sunny place for shady people

Status
Not open for further replies.