Canadian sponsorship with existing undertaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristachase

Sep 17, 2015
I have an undertaking from sponsoring my ex husband until July 2016. If I want to bring my boyfriend to canada before that, what are my options?
Would he get a visitor visa? He is waiting for work and is currently laid off. I would be able to support him while here.

Is there a way I could transfer the last year of sponsorship to my parents or someone else for my ex? Could someone else sponsor my boyfriend if I married him?

Would things be different if we had a child on the way? I imagine it would make it worse for a visitor visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have an undertaking from sponsoring my ex husband until July 2016. If I want to bring my boyfriend to canada before that, what are my options?
Would he get a visitor visa? He is waiting for work and is currently laid off. I would be able to support him while here.

Is there a way I could transfer the last year of sponsorship to my parents or someone else for my ex? Could someone else sponsor my boyfriend if I married him?

Would things be different if we had a child on the way? I imagine it would make it worse for a visitor visa.

Sadly you seem to be serious.
If you do have an undertaking, surely you know how to read the guide.
It is because of people like you that serious family sponsorship is so difficult in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

kristachase

Sep 17, 2015
Wow you are so judgemental. My ex was inland sponsorship and was in canada 6 years before I met him. We were married 3 years before the application was processed and he landed. He was abusive. Sadly he strangled me in front of our 12 month old 3 months after he landed. We separated then and there was almost the full 3 years of undertaking left when I left for safety. So I'm not sure what you mean serious family sponsorship. That was serious. And my boyfriend and I intend to marry but I would rather have the option of visitor visas. According to the guide I won't be approved to sponsor until the undertaking is up but I am wondering if we could submit our application after our wedding and just wait for him to land until I am an eligible sponsor. Effectively have the processing time going while I am waiting for the undertaking to my abusive ex to finish.

kristachase

Sep 17, 2015
Undertaking is an agreement with the government to repay any welfare the sponsored person uses for a 3 year period starting when the sponsored person got their permanent residency. Inland sponsorship is when both people already are living together in canada and you apply from immigration from inside canada.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
so you want your parents to be responsible for your abusive ex....or at least promise to repay any monies your abusive ex might get from the government ...while you bring another stud...I mean husband or love of your life to Canada ?
and this stud muffin is currently unemployed and waiting for work
may I ask ....where do you locate these eligible bachelors ?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Undertaking is an agreement with the government to repay any welfare the sponsored person uses for a 3 year period starting when the sponsored person got their permanent residency. Inland sponsorship is when both people already are living together in canada and you apply from immigration from inside canada.

Was he legally in Canada at the time you sponsored him or on a Visa. Ethier way, I don't know where you ex was from but if you already have that on your sponsorship record I'd say your chances of getting your new boyfriend to your country before your responsibility on your ex finishes to be slim and none....and if you tried to transfer responsibility over to someone else your chances would be even further diminished.

Buena Suerte

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can the sponsorship on the abusing ex-husband just not be cancelled under the circumstances? Or was the crime he committed not reported?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Save yourself a bunch of paperwork and heartache, find an unemployed Canadian to support - there are lots of them...

(Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Save yourself a bunch of paperwork and heartache, find an unemployed Canadian to support - there are lots of them...

(Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them)

yeah, but Canadian women do not want unemployed Canadian men. they are losers, in their minds. they don?t even want a guy who works at Arby?s or Outback. however, they want an unemployed Dominican with a third grade education, because those are not losers. it must be some maternal instinct to want a guy you have to raise and support.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I am going to close this before it turns in something else. OP has a few links to follow. I know you can't pass the undertaking to someone else and not sure how long it would take to get out of it due to abuse. Like windy said depends on whether it was reported or not.

Good luck and please take your time to know your new guy before bringing him to Canada.

Being pregnant does NOT help the process. No, you can not submit another application while waiting for the undertaking to run out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.