?What is the total D.R. Foreign/Sovereign Debt?

Loren

Jan 1, 2002
?What is the total D.R. Foreign/Sovereign Debt?

Couldn't find the info on the Central Bank page.

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
External Debt

Until 2000, it was a little above UD$3,500 million dollars; but right now it is estimated at around US$5,000 if you add to it approved loans, or around US$4,000 if you only add what has been disburses and therefored effectively owed.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Foreign Debt

I believe is closer to $12 billion. So far in just a few months, in bond issues and short range loans Hipolito has added an extra $1 billion.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Borrow & Spend" Then ask for a "Bailout"!

At the present rate the external debt to GNP ratio will "soon" put the DR. in "Good Company". LA Argentina! Better convert your Dominican pesos to US Dollars while you can! Criss Colon

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Foriegn Loans

From what I have observed, The present goverment has borrowed more since they have been in "power" than the last govt. borrowed the whole intire time they were in. I've noticed just here on DR1 news earlier this year, Hipolito was borrowing on a pace never before matched.......since I've been watching anyways....(about 10 or 12 years) Is this true? Or is it just being more publicly stated?

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Present Goverment

Those being close with the present state of affairs......do you think that the present govt. would be re-elected right now if there was a election tomorrow? I think....from what I've read, and I realize I know very little about the DR govt., ......but it would seem to me that the people of the Dr would vote Hipolito out right now, given the chance!!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Borrowing and Hipolito

Hipolito again just borrowed $US500 million to pay the interest on the debt. he just keeps borrowing to pay the debt and it's just piling up.

His chances right now of winning again are good. I have stated before that in spite of his denials, he will run again. He is just waiting for the right time to announce. Depending on how the congressional elections go and the next two years, his chances will either stay the same or become worst.

He can win over Leonel now by about 10 points, but when 2004 arrives he will win by a slim margin. Naturally, if Balaguer dies before that time, his chances will get slimmer as the Red party will become disorganized and leaderless.

The Reformists without Balaguer would have to turn to the PLD for an alliance since they stand no chance of getting the spoils of power without the old man's intelligent strategies.

In addition, Hipolito's power ring will do him much harm between now and the next elections. Scandals will be the order of the day and extreme corruption will weaken his presidency. The only reason he is still favored is because Leonel Fernandez has been too sheepish in the opposition and has not taken advantage of the mistakes.

TW

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
Debt DATA

total DR debt in 1997 = 3,851 million Dollars Year 1 under Leonel Fernandez
total DR debt in 2000 = 3,562 million Dollars at the end of Leonel's admin.
total DR debt in 2001 = 5,351 million Dollars Year 1 under Hipolito Mej?a (and this data does not include the issuance of US$500 Million Dollars, whose use and accountablity and transparency are now being severely questioned internally and overseas, by foreign Analysts such as The Economist Magazine and its Intelligence Unit.

Extract your own conclusions..............