Concealed or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
What exactly are the rules in the DR regarding carrying a pistola?
Is there distinction between concealed and not?
Thanks

Sep 4, 2012
There are permits to possess and to carry, Law 36 does not distinguish between the two as per a quick browsed through it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What exactly are the rules in the DR regarding carrying a pistola?
Is there distinction between concealed and not?
Thanks

The law states that you must carry concealed if you have a carry permit. It states right on the license that if the weapon is in view it can be confiscated.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I am not allowed yet in the off topic forum. Pity.
can someone summarize or pm me please?

mongoose...you type faster than I do!

May 5, 2007
I am not allowed yet in the off topic forum. Pity.
can someone summarize or pm me please?

mongoose...you type faster than I do!

It was a thread I started regarding why someone would want to openly carry a firearm, directed at a post by a member
who carried a weapon openly at "home" I was assuming the USA I asked why anyone would want to carry a pistol on his
hip and varying opinions were posted, nothing of any value regarding actual laws

Sep 4, 2012
It was a thread I started regarding why someone would want to openly carry a firearm, directed at a post by a member
who carried a weapon openly at "home" I was assuming the USA I asked why anyone would want to carry a pistol on his
hip and varying opinions were posted, nothing of any value regarding actual laws

Read Law 36, if that if not of any values, its up to you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Eliminating all the BS responses in the thread in Off-Topic and getting right to the point:

Open carry by the public is illegal in the D.R.

On the back of the permit it states:

Advertencia: Licencia vencida o exhibir el arma, se penaliza con la incautacion
Warning: Expired license or displaying the weapon is punishable by the seizure

Sep 4, 2012

Below is my answer on the same topic/thread.

"I carry a gun as per duty at work, I carry a gun as citizen because I want to, its my right in the USA and am legally able to conceal it at will. I purchased my gun and the last thing I had on my mind when I did or whenever I open or conceal carry is "what others might think of me.""

Totally irrelevant to the purpose of gun ownership.

In essense, what anybody would think of me, my firearm and the way I decide to carry it is totally extraneous to the fact.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I open carry when in America because of deterrent value. Rather than trying to use the element of surprise against someone who already has the drop on you; I think it is preferable to avoid the confrontation in the first place. Also open carry allows for a much faster draw which is why it is used by police etc. Here it may not be a good idea as many police officers and military are killed for their firearm. Of course out in the campo where you can see people coming it might make more sense. Not sure on the law either, but I have seen several Dominicans conceal carry in a very sloppy way where their gun constantly becomes exposed. Apparently until recent yeas people open carries into banks. Now most banks have no gun signs.

What kind of a life are you living when you are leaving the house and thinking about someone getting the draw on you? lol. Jeees, I have no doubt you do, but it is just insane to me that this thought process is even a part of a daily routine. Seems utterly ridiculous to me. There must be a really distorted view of the world around you when you are thinking about quick drawing your side arm, lol.
Sorry, just seems nuts.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
I open carry when in America because of deterrent value. Rather than trying to use the element of surprise against someone who already has the drop on you; I think it is preferable to avoid the confrontation in the first place. Also open carry allows for a much faster draw which is why it is used by police etc. Here it may not be a good idea as many police officers and military are killed for their firearm. Of course out in the campo where you can see people coming it might make more sense. Not sure on the law either, but I have seen several Dominicans conceal carry in a very sloppy way where their gun constantly becomes exposed. Apparently until recent yeas people open carries into banks. Now most banks have no gun signs.

Are you in some occupation that puts you especially at risk of violence? In the U.S. It probably doesn't matter that much because the general risk of violence is pretty low. I'd think though that carrying a firearm either way would substantially increase the odds you would be killed or suffer some serious negative consequence. In more dangerous places open carry advertises you have a valuable easily traded item in your possession and also suggests it would be wise to simply kill you by surprise rather than an approach you might survive. To me in the real world a little old lady or 12 year old boy with a hard attitude can easily take out Rambo. The basic Mafia Martial Art is just misdirection and surprise combined with a cold attitude. Guns don't protect against that, they attract it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The deterrence is the main reason for me. But yes it is much quicker. In America the divider in chief Obama has made the racial situation so bad that having a Dominican spouse who is a morena puts you and her in the immediate danger of being attacked by racists. I am a big guy so these cowards would not approach. I began to open carry knowing that one day there might be enough of them to approach. This is in the American south and these guys are not white. This is the world we live in. Interracial couples are routinely attacked in America, usually not by whites. The 2 years I lived in the south I only saw 1-2 other interracial couples with a white male and a black female in public despite the population being very mixed demographically. Outside of New York Dominicans are thought to be black by ignorant Americans.

If this is the reality of life in America, where people are constantly being attacked for having a different coloured partner unless carrying a gun openly, or robbed when pumping gas unless they can see you are strapped then it is a sh1t hole. Sounds from your descrption like one of the worst places to live in the world. But I'm not sure your reality is the reality as the overwhelming majority don't feel the need to advertise thier weapons for fear of attack. But what do I know about the States, other than it keeps producing Americans.

May 5, 2007
Below is my answer on the same topic/thread.

"I carry a gun as per duty at work, I carry a gun as citizen because I want to, its my right in the USA and am legally able to conceal it at will. I purchased my gun and the last thing I had on my mind when I did or whenever I open or conceal carry is "what others might think of me.""

Totally irrelevant to the purpose of gun ownership.

In essense, what anybody would think of me, my firearm and the way I decide to carry it is totally extraneous to the fact.

Good for you, I guess

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Having a Dominican spouse for a white American is a rarity. Having a spouse who people assume is black in the American south especially so. Thus my situation was not the situation of a normal American. Being robbed at a gas station at night is very common for all.

Sounds like an absolute sh1t hole, full of scumbags. The DR probably is a better option if that is the crappy life you've been having to live. I suppose the DR is a step up for some gringos then. Good for you.

May 5, 2007
What kind of a life are you living when you are leaving the house and thinking about someone getting the draw on you? lol. Jeees, I have no doubt you do, but it is just insane to me that this thought process is even a part of a daily routine. Seems utterly ridiculous to me. There must be a really distorted view of the world around you when you are thinking about quick drawing your side arm, lol.
Sorry, just seems nuts.

Not often I agree with your posts but sure do here

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Depends on the state. People with mental illness and who have felony/ domestic violence convictions are barred by federal law from possessing firearms. Open carry does not require a permit in many states.

Kinda stupid laws though no. Give them a gun and then wait to see if they are going to be nuts and off a bunch of people. Should that evaluation not be made before issue, not after, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.