Long Blackout 9/24

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone else still without power?

I'm in Santiago, El Dorado area and the power had been out since around 5PM. Very odd that the power is out for this long.

Most likely due to the storm. Wondering if it's just this side of town or more spread out?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay here across the river on the other side of the main bridge.
Ours was out but came back on during the rain storm.

Looking around with the security camera, central Santiago looks okay.

Too dark for me to tell exactly where El Dorado is. I can normally see the area of the Autopista where the Marriott is but in the dark not sure of the location.

Must be a local issue.

No luz for 5-6 hours is normal here.

Last edited:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
We're pretty well connected on electricity, very rarely is it out for over an hour here.

We're a little bit past Centro Leon Jimenez and Hoya del Caimito.

Inversor keeping the internet and computer on but this is a bit tough with no fan all night.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
No problem here, 3.6KW Inversor and 8 batteries will run the refrigerator, lights, security cameras, TV and fans perhaps 15-17 hours.

Then there's the Diesel generator that will re-charge the batteries in about 4 hours while the luz is still off.

Really need to be prepared here, not only for the normal blackouts but also the unexpected failure in the supply line. EdeNorte is not the fastest runner in the pack when it comes to fixing supply lines, transformers, etc. It once took then almost 3 days to replace a fuse on the high tension line, even though we told them where the problem was from the beginning.

Three days later it took them all of 5 minutes to replace the fuse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No problem here, 3.6KW Inversor and 8 batteries will run the refrigerator, lights, security cameras, TV and fans perhaps 15-17 hours.

Then there's the Diesel generator that will re-charge the batteries in about 4 hours while the luz is still off.

Really need to be prepared here, not only for the normal blackouts but also the unexpected failure in the supply line. EdeNorte is not the fastest runner in the pack when it comes to fixing supply lines, transformers, etc. It once took then almost 3 days to replace a fuse on the high tension line, even though we told them where the problem was from the beginning.

Three days later it took them all of 5 minutes to replace the fuse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i see you have no regard for the reality that there are domino games to be played.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
i see you have no regard for the reality that there are domino games to be played.

It always amuses me when there?s a blackout that lasts longer than usual, as a few senior members of my wife?s family become concerned of how are we doing as per them I "trabajo con la luz".

This of course means computers and such, whereas they don?t even know how to turn on a bit more modern Alcatel cellphone (with all due respect, they are good people), and deal with business matters with a regular phone, paper receipts and a big cuaderno.

If there?s a blackout of 12 hours, their food might get damaged a bit, and obviously fans don?t work, but that?s about it, no further harm done... :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Time to get an "electrician" in to wire the bedroom fan circuit into the inversor. Then the fan will probably hum so loudly that you won't be able to sleep anyways unless you have pure sine wave inversor.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Time to get an "electrician" in to wire the bedroom fan circuit into the inversor. Then the fan will probably hum so loudly that you won't be able to sleep anyways unless you have pure sine wave inversor.

All the fans are connected to our inversor but I didn't expect it to be out so long. We turned the fans off for a few hours just in case.

We've only got a 1.5kw inversor with two Trojan rojas and didn't want to drain them.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
The capital has had power issues since Saturday Night - Gazcue y Zona Colonial power has gone off and on six times in the past 22 hours. What I hate more than a power outage is the constant on and off again for I fear the surges are killing my appliances.

What is wrong with this country that they cant maintain power? Kabal Afghanistan has more constintancy than the DR. I dealt with this here in the 80's and can't believe that 35 years later they still have a mess. Anyone know why - corruption, stupidity, political games?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The capital has had power issues since Saturday Night - Gazcue y Zona Colonial power has gone off and on six times in the past 22 hours. What I hate more than a power outage is the constant on and off again for I fear the surges are killing my appliances.

What is wrong with this country that they cant maintain power? Kabal Afghanistan has more constintancy than the DR. I dealt with this here in the 80's and can't believe that 35 years later they still have a mess. Anyone know why - corruption, stupidity, political games?

all of the above.

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
Here in Las Terrenas we're really frustrated: we had a power surge a few weeks ago so we had to buy replacement parts for our blown out water treatment system. We also bought a bunch of surge protectors so we wouldn't have the problem again, but a few days ago we had a crazy power surge (our ceiling fan suddenly sped up like a plane propeller) and blew out three surge protectors and our RO system on the water system AGAIN!! This is so maddening!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What you probably need is a voltage regulator installed before your circuit breaker panel. Surge protectors (especially the plug in kind) are only good for one or two substantial surges before they need to be replaced. Most low end surge protectors have no indicator to show that they cannot handle another wallop.

Last edited:

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Here in Las Terrenas we're really frustrated: we had a power surge a few weeks ago so we had to buy replacement parts for our blown out water treatment system. We also bought a bunch of surge protectors so we wouldn't have the problemGoog again, but a few days ago we had a crazy power surge (our ceiling fan suddenly sped up like a plane propeller) and blew out three surge protectors and our RO system on the water system AGAIN!! This is so maddening!

This country should be ashamed - providing stable clean affordable enegy should be priority # 1.

I was Googling last night and surprised to learn that a US Fortune 200 Company called AES owns 50% of Edeestee. The DR Govt owns the other half. As an American I am even more upset at the lack of efficiency.