Best kept secret, local ice cream.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hey guys, I have just tried the plastic covered tube ice cream from a street vendor at a street intersection. The brand name is Cabrera Helados (?). I must confess, its the best tasting local ice cream I have ever tasted. At first, I was a bit apprensive of trying something right off the street from a coleman cooler. Then I said to myself, "if its good for the dominicans, its good for me". So I bought a tube ice cream (sort of like a condom covered ice cream... hehehe. sorry guys, but that what poped up in my mind at the time). It comes in various flavors ex: biscocho, leche, pina, etc. I bought the biscocho and a leche flavor. Ummmmm, at one bite and I became very upset at myself for not buying more. Its so tasty that it beat baskin Robbins and Helado bon in every category. I am so upset at my dominican friends for not letting me in to this secret.
So for all of you adventurest ice cream lovers, go out and try one flavor (Biscocho is the best).
Best of all, its only 5 pesos a pop. Can't beat that, can you?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just wait until "TW" sees this post,you are in trouble now! "Not Baskin Robbins,you will die of 'AIDS' EATING ON THE STREET!" Do you eat "Jonny Cakes"? The best 5 pesos you can spend! Chicharones,I die and go to heaven,when I eat them! See Ya,Criss Colon

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
may the wrath of TW come crushing on my head.

Yeah, when I was writing the ice cream post, I, fearfully, had TW on my mind. Believe me, i am all ready to eat a few word from him. Wait a minute, aren't those cheap ice creams made in Haiti with AIDS infested workers?
We will wait and see what diseases and parasites he would find in the process-making and handling of the cheap tube ice creams.
I bet he is writing a big post.

Oh, criss, I had eaten a "Johnny cake" in boca chica once. Oh boy oh boy they were good. the best sandwich I had eaten in DR was in melecon of santo domingo.
I will let you into a secret if you promise not to tell my mother or to other orthodox muslims.... it was a sandwich de Pierna. Oh, my god, did I just confess on the net? There goes my "Hamas" membership out the window. Shrimp.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Come to think of it, it reminds me of a "gay take-home lunch". Hehehehehe (get it?)

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
he had to turn it back

of course he had to take the condom wrapping off. the seller was waiting for azb to finish the ice cream so that he could refill it and sell it again.

did i make it clear

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago Ice Cream Report

Indeed, Helados Cabrera are a hit and are sold at nearly every street corner with a traffic light. Are the good? My grandkids love them and so do my kids. No reported illnesses.

There are also helados CEPY that roam the street, and Helados Blue Bonnet.

But the 'real' Santiagueros know Helados Noris on Independence Street. this is the oldest icecream factory in Santiago and the northern part of the country. It is something like that little place off El Conde that used to be the best icecream in SDQ.

Mr. Movie has Hagen Daz and Baskin and Robbins....

"Honey?!! Come and help me get up from my recliner!!

"HB, still smiling..

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB here I come>...................................

AZB:

I have not come across your latest gourmet discovery, but I do not doubt your culinary taste. I am looking forward to running into this delicacy.

I have to confess I do not like Baskin Robbins. I tried Haagen Daaz(do I have the right spelling?) in Chicago years ago and was not impressed. Never tried it again. I ran into a local Italian ice cream called Al Gelato, which is the finest I have tried. Creamy, fruity and healthy.

My biggest dissapointment is the decay of Helados Bon. I tried a regular raisin ice cream and its was so watery it felt like eating Italian ice. Their quality has gone down 50% or more. Even their premium ice cream stinks and is overpriced. Worst of all they have different prices for the same item at their local shops and at supermarket counters(a walloping 30% difference) The health standards are down. Their employees have no manners and handle money with their bare hands. Bon is a no-no.

I still like eating ice cream at El Conde. Its high quality at good price, plus a wild atmosphere to boot.

Warning:do not buy ice cream or orange juice from Haitian vendors. They do not use toilet paper and settle their business in any alley. They still use corn husks instead of toilet paper out in the farms and when husks are scarce they rub themselves against the leaves on the ground, and voila!! Besides, the leftover orange peels will end up in your garbage cans without plastic bags. They may throw in a 20oz. bottle of Coke with their urine for extra. Notice, they also have a habit of scratching their underarms, which properly perfumed with garlic acid will end up in your ice cream stick.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What the F##K,NoRaisins!

My Darling wife picked me up a Quart of Helados Bon,"Ron Pasas" ice cream last week. I laid back with a Huge table spoon,for a "taste", and some late nite "TV". "What the F##K, no raisins! Same ice cream flavor,they just made it with no raisins! Next time my Darling wife brings me some,"Biscocho",con "Tres Leches",it had melted and re-froze about 6 times in the Helados Bon freezer! Yes TW, Helados Bon has gon to Hel. Are you going to by "ice cream-in-a-bag" from a street vendor? No way!Criss Colon

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Ice Cream for Criss

Criss:

You haven't tried their chocolate ice cream made with coffee beans!

TW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FOR THE DROOLING READERS ON THE NORTH COAST

There is probably still that great place next to the park in POP, one of the truly family run businesses that merit all our business. Very good icecream.

The svelt, HB.......NOT!

Honey? Who 's at the door?
"The "Chicharronero, my love!"

Be right there!!