Qui?ceanera

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Do the nouveau riche and just plain folk plan way over the top parties for their 15 year olds? A bit much? Keeping up with
to see who can outdo whom? Just askin and planning.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Normal people save up for months and months for these parties, and everyone in the family contributes. It may be a bit over the top, but they reason that if you can't celebrate a few important occasions such as this for your kids then what is all of your hard work for?

Are you Dominican?

Sep 4, 2012
myself for clothes etc. as she always says why work so hard if you cannot enjoy it. Dominicans marvel at the cheapness of many Americans who will have plenty of money yet walk around in old clothes with holes in them. There is a balance in there somewhere.

Although I must dress up for work (no options there), I prefer the old sandals, shorts, t-shirt and my God you must see my camo hat...lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've only ever been to one and i remember it well as it proved to be a traumatic experience.

it was a large party in some solid middle class family. rich, by general standards but tasteless and tacky as fcuk. the party had a price tag of 3 million pesos and looked like it was worth about a dollar fifty. ostentatious, loud and boring. i remember well the dress of the b-day girl, pink, feathery and quite red carpet worthy if it was not worn by someone with chesticles like two aspirins pressed into wide ironing board.

there was an inevitable dancing number which was as excruciating to watch as it looked painful to execute. maybe middle class girls cannot twerk. then a display of childhood photos the girl projected onto a large screen. this is where i drew the line because no one ever should be subjected to the torture of watching 15 years worth of somebody's blurry photos.

it kinda resembled any middle class wedding i had to attend in my 9 years here. made me wish i was home, after a crippling bout of diarrhea. plenty of booze (thank you, baby jesus) and zero food of any kind anywhere in sight. not an event i long to repeat ever again.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I attended one of these birthday parties with another member of this forum in Esanche Carmelita, Santo Domingo earlier this year. Lots of food, drinks, music and dance. Didn't seem any different than any other birthday party I've been to in the past here in the DR.

A few days later I remember speaking to some Dominican friends about it. I was told these elaborate parties for the 15 year olds are reconignition of (early) adulthood and for the girls it means they are now ready to be "courted".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Have been to half a dozen. They have ranged from a fairly simple party with only closest friends and relatives attending, and within a reasonable Budget for the family to an extravagant affair that had to cost over 10,000 dollars. Certainly lots of poor girls don't have them. The girl who lives next to the school turned fifteen in August and her dad allowed her to have her closest friends over for a birthday party, cake, ice-cream and pizza, no dressing up in fancy dresses....etc. Probably never cost him more than 3000 pesos, but that is lot for him.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've seen professional videos of quite a few, and to be honest, they left me with my jaw dropped. Professional filming, well known musical artists, done on a stage that rivals any New York theater. Costumes, banquets, you name it.

It's not only the nouveau rich, older money families can really go overboard with those things.

it was started by the older money types, an affair where the parents of little Mercedes would invite the family members of the upper crust to mingle with future brides. only certain types were invited, because the scions of business and industry, and owners of latifundia did not want their daughters carousing with the sons of Fausto and Joaquin. the newer version, featuring the nouveau riche, like ballplayers, and guys who won the lotto, are spectacles to show how rich they are, and everyone is invited to gaze upon how the other half lives. the more chopos and cueros , the better.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A quincea?era is
something between a 'sweet sixteen' and a debutante's coming-out party. The rituals of the event - change from flat shoes to high heels, the ball gown, hairdo and the first dance of the party with Dad - are supposed to symbolize the girls's transition to womanhood. There is no formal equivalent for boys.

http://www.amazon.com/Dominican-Republic-Culture-Essential-Customs/dp/1857335279

At 15 I would have run a mile if anyone had expected me to go through that, and so would most of my friends!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
At 15 I would have run a mile if anyone had expected me to go through that, and so would most of my friends!

dominicans are generally traditional and very homogeneous in terms of behaviour. i mentioned this before: everyone dresses in the same way, listens to the same music, eats the same food. from the poor to the rich, there is very little expression of individuality of any kind and no encouragement to develop it. if you go to a high school in poland you will see long hair in metallica t-shirt; skinny red jeans with a mohawk; black clad goth with eyebrow piercing. in HS in DR everyone looks exactly the same.

this attitude extends to such events like birthdays. even if my parents ever had money for a hundred thousand dollar party i would p*ss on that because this is not who i am and what i like. at 15 i was into grunge, listening nirvana and wearing torn up sweaters 2 sizes to big. here everyone is into romeo fcuking santos, whether they are 5 or 95.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dominicans are generally traditional and very homogeneous in terms of behaviour. i mentioned this before: everyone dresses in the same way, listens to the same music, eats the same food. from the poor to the rich, there is very little expression of individuality of any kind and no encouragement to develop it. if you go to a high school in poland you will see long hair in metallica t-shirt; skinny red jeans with a mohawk; black clad goth with eyebrow piercing. in HS in DR everyone looks exactly the same.

this attitude extends to such events like birthdays. even if my parents ever had money for a hundred thousand dollar party i would p*ss on that because this is not who i am and what i like. at 15 i was into grunge, listening nirvana and wearing torn up sweaters 2 sizes to big. here everyone is into romeo fcuking santos, whether they are 5 or 95.

On the whole. I thought so too until I went to the INTEC campus. Also, only one of Mr C's nieces has had a formal sequinny quincea?era. Another one was more like the teenagers you describe - with her natural afro hair, pierced nose and grungy clothes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe INTEC is where the weirdos gather? i went to the graduation of my SIL in PUCMM. every single girl there looked the same. i was so bored i went to sleep in the car.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
My mother was never cheap when it came to food, health and education, but a party was considered an unnecessary expense to please society. A nice present, a trip abroad, a family dinner or a small get together with people you really like, were always better.
Now, if anyone wants to throw a huge party and they have the money to "tirar la casa por la ventana", I say good for it. I do have an issue with people who get into serious debt over a party, and then expect a loan from you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you are my guru.

let me bore you with my passion, high fidelity stereo equipment. i have said this a million times, so make this a million and one. every single speaker made in this country, be it in Samana or Bani, looks just like the other. every one. not only that, but they looked like that in 1989, when i first got here. there are millions of them, and everybody builds them, but not one guy has ever sat down and decided to try to be different, and design one that was not like the others. if you go on the internet, and go to a hifi site, there are literally thousands of different designs out there. what is interesting is that i have seen some very clever designs from guys in the Turks and Caicos, among the jillions from the USA, Europe, the East, and South America. there seems to be zero desire to be creative in this country. everyone is a follower.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My mother was never cheap when it came to food, health and education, but a party was considered an unnecessary expense to please society. A nice present, a trip abroad, a family dinner or a small get together with people you really like, were always better.
Now, if anyone wants to throw a huge party and they have the money to "tirar la casa por la ventana", I say good for it. I do have an issue with people who get into serious debt over a party, and then expect a loan from you.

i scratched my head when my housekeeper threw a birthday party for her 3 year old granddaughter, and invited the entire barrio. she was in debt to loansharks for months. i have no idea what that is all about.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Speaking of expenses, some are taken on quincea?era cruises in groups, with their mothers, or the 21st century version of the Grand Tour of Europe.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Speaking of expenses, some are taken on quincea?era cruises in groups, with their mothers, or the 21st century version of the Grand Tour of Europe.

true, Chiri, but i bet that those cruises are exclusive affairs, populated by the old money crowd. the new money guys want the affair to be seen by everyone who has less than they do, so they are not going on any cruise. they would rather rent an auditorium, hire Antony Santos, and serve up bottles of Johnny Walker, with cases of Gatorade to chase it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

preach, gurl. i have the same attitude. occasionally we may go to a fancy wedding or whatnot. i never ever bring any gifts. it's a gift that we come over so the dumbasses who threw the party can boast to their friends how big the event was and how many guests have attended. if someone can fork out several million pesos on a god damn wedding they can afford to buy their own set of fcuking spoons. and if they could not afford such party yet got into debt to do it, they are too stupid to gift them with as much as a a plastic spoon fished out of the trash. and i get to have the last laugh too because nearly every single lavish wedding ceremony i've been to ended in a bitter divorce within 3 years. once the parents of the bride were still paying off the credit they took to pay for the party way after she divorced. ha ha ha.