Hello everyone !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen40

Sep 27, 2015
Hi my name is Kristen. My boyfriend is Dominican.I am American. He speaks no English except for a few phrases. I speak only limited Spanish. His Spanish of course is Dominican which is unique to his country where he was raised. I joined this forum so we can share thoughts and ideas on how to communicate in Dominican. I get frustrated sometimes so maybe you guys can help us. He is here in US but has only been so for 14 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if I can help in anyway with my experiences, just let me know!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi my name is Kristen. My boyfriend is Dominican.I am American. He speaks no English except for a few phrases. I speak only limited Spanish. His Spanish of course is Dominican which is unique to his country where he was raised. I joined this forum so we can share thoughts and ideas on how to communicate in Dominican. I get frustrated sometimes so maybe you guys can help us. He is here in US but has only been so for 14 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if I can help in anyway with my experiences, just let me know!

he has been in the US for 14 months, but only speaks a few phrases....

ok...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
he has been in the US for 14 months, but only speaks a few phrases....

ok...

What about all the expats in DR for a lot longer than that who can't speak Spanish?

I have a Dominican sister-in-law who has lived in the US about 30 years. No English. Depends where they live.

For that matter, my Italian born grandparents didn't do that well in English after many, many decades in NY.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
In words of the great Yogi Berra (Rip). I'm getting the Deja Vu feeling, all over again..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What about all the expats in DR for a lot longer than that who can't speak Spanish?

I have a Dominican sister-in-law who has lived in the US about 30 years. No English. Depends where they live.

For that matter, my Italian born grandparents didn't do that well in English after many, many decades in NY.

i am aware of those types. my older son is married to an Italian girl, and her grandparents can barely say hello in english. i still have trouble understanding how it is possible, not that it happens.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you want to speak Dominican first of all change your opinion that lying is bad and NEVER EVER admit that you don't know something or can't do something, this would include directions (even if in a country you never visited) or brain surgery.
That should get you off to a good start.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you want to speak Dominican first of all change your opinion that lying is bad and NEVER EVER admit that you don't know something or can't do something, this would include directions (even if in a country you never visited) or brain surgery.

my high end headphones dropped a channel, and i could not figure how to open them up to check what went wrong. i called tha manufacturer in Brooklyn, and the guy walked me through the steps that i should take, or they would be forever damaged. i took them to a tech here, and explained the steps to take.

the guy told me that they were all unnecessary, because the guys in Brooklyn did not know what they were talking about. yes, the guys who designed the thing did not know as much as he did.

i sent them back to Brooklyn to get them fixed.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Congrats. Has he been with you for that long? Not an easy road when language is an issue. Good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I had seen this before posting on your "What's the meaning" thread, I might (only might) have posted something different.

I will stand by most of what I posted. However, since his is in the states Or Canada? (it must have been a family visa...I am pretty sure he did not get a B-1 or B-2 visa..you can check on that.) this means that he left a country where he could not make ends meet and is now in a country that will feed him, heal him and nurture him without having to do a thing. Is he working? At a level comparable to you and your job?? If so you might make an effort.

If he is not employed, don't waste your time.

HB...still a curmudgeon

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I see you have been here for some time so I am sure you were not surprised. We take the bad with the good and as long as the good out weighs the bad, I am good.
I also always try to laugh at the stupid things you see happening.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome aboard. Watching movies in English and putting on Spanish subtitles is probably one of the fastest way to learn Spanish. Even if he uses a lot of slang, he should still understand you if you use formal Spanish and not Dominican.

there are several different ways to learn. the fact that this guy has been in the country for 14 months ,and knows nothing, is indicative of his desire, or lack thereof, to learn the language. he will eventually do what many Dominicans, and others, finally do, which is to go to his people in their enclave, and find a way to survive there. people have become fluent in a foreign language in a year.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014

Brain surgery - how hard can it be?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I met my spouse in the US..while his command of the English language was not perfect we still were able to communicate. I doubt sincerely our relationship would have continued if we were not able to communicate. To the OP maybe your BF could enroll in a English language course? It would beneficial for him (and you) on many levels. My spouse has several family members (near and distant) that live in the US. Some took the initiative to learn English others did not.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anyone spend any time in Miami lately? If I did not speak Spanish I would have a hard time doing anything there now. And it is not only in Little Havana but North of there also.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
How to communicate in ?Dominican?....

1 grunt = yes
2 grunts = no
3 grunts = maybe
4 grunts = not tonight, got a headache

;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How to communicate in “Dominican”....

1 grunt = yes
2 grunts = no
3 grunts = maybe
4 grunts = not tonight, got a headache

;)

The first 3 are right. But no. 4 cannot be. No Dominicana EVER has a headache. That is one good thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.