Las Galeras or Barahona ???

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
We will be in the capital for 10 days ... wanted to go for about 3 days to either las galeras or Barahona ( Casa del Mar lodge )

.... any suggestions ?? Samana seems beautiful in the pics.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We will be in the capital for 10 days ... wanted to go for about 3 days to either las galeras or Barahona ( Casa del Mar lodge )

if you cannot do them both,then Las Galeras is the ticket.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Are you renting a vehicle or taking the bus. There is a bus from Santo Domingo directly to Las Terrenas. It is called Transporte Las Terrenas. Las Galeras is beautiful but it is a long haul and very quiet. When in Las Terrenas go to Playa Coson and Luis'restaurant. It is right on the beach and serves lunch, grilled fish, chicken, lobster in season and salad and french friens. Swim or take a walk while you wait for your meal. This a great beach with some nice waves. A must while in LT.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
if you are a poet, or a writer, go to Las Galeras. it must be one of the most tranqil, inspirational spots on earth. it is a hike, yes, but worth every bit of the effort to get there. it does not get better. my favorite spot in this land.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Las Galeras is possibly the most beautiful spots I have yet seen in the DR. Just everything about it is tranquilo. Playa Rincon, Plajita are both must do. And if you stay at the AI there they have one of the nicest beaches anywhere. It is truly a special place. There is a guy on youtube with some good Vids that you should really see. He also did a great job with Las Terrenas. will find the link if you need it . And as you pass through Samana City you could check out Cayo Levantado by boat ( another must do , imo)
I also share the view that Las Galeras is my favorite spot on the whole Samana Peninsula., only thing is I like a whole week there to really decompress properly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Las Galeras is possibly the most beautiful spots I have yet seen in the DR. Just everything about it is tranquilo. Playa Rincon, Plajita are both must do. And if you stay at the AI there they have one of the nicest beaches anywhere. It is truly a special place. There is a guy on youtube with some good Vids that you should really see. He also did a great job with Las Terrenas. will find the link if you need it . And as you pass through Samana City you could check out Cayo Levantado by boat ( another must do , imo)
I also share the view that Las Galeras is my favorite spot on the whole Samana Peninsula., only thing is I like a whole week there to really decompress properly.

i am glad to know i have a kindered spirit who agees with me on one thing....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No contest. Las Galeras. Make sure you go to Playa Rincon.

OP should make sure to go there the right season though. I was there last winter and the playa was filled with algae, no where to swim and seat (besides a tiny spot at the end), disappointing (I have been during the summer and it is indeed a stunning beach).

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Las Galeras is the place I'd recommend.

Been there a couple times and it is really a stunning site.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
if the choice is between barahona province and Las Galeras - go to Barahona province.
if the choice is between Las Terrenas and Barahona province - go to Las Terrenas (as it is only 3 days)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
OP should make sure to go there the right season though. I was there last winter and the playa was filled with algae, no where to swim and seat (besides a tiny spot at the end), disappointing (I have been during the summer and it is indeed a stunning beach).

You mean it was piled high with saragosam which made the recent amounts at Bavaro look mild! Very disappointing.

Equally they have ruined the authenticity of the beach by closing down the few local eating places near the river entry at the west end and roped it off. So you go to the east end and have built a restaurant with no character.....sad....not such a nice beach anymore.

For me Las Galleras and Rincon are daytrips from a base in the Las Terrenas area, but that may not be what the OP is after.

Cayo Lavantado is a 'must miss trip' even during whale watching season.

I wonder what the OP wants? The two locations suggest off the beaten track. If that is the case I would lean towards the south west and suggest Casa Bonita, which is a more expensive but regarded highly and if you search out their website and recommendations plus videos you can see why.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I suggest Las Terrenas with a trip to Salto Limon.
Las Galleras is very beautiful, but at this time completely dead in the evening. If you start early in the morning you can make a day trip from LT to Las Galleras.
Barahona itself is not interesting, you have to take the road further down west.

Last edited:

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Well my gf is from that area of the country so she is familiar ( I am not ) ... I was thinking hit a bar or 2 in brahona,.... stay at casa del mar lodge ... go to lago enriquillo ... playa los patos ..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well my gf is from that area of the country so she is familiar ( I am not ) ... I was thinking hit a bar or 2 in brahona,.... stay at casa del mar lodge ... go to lago enriquillo ... playa los patos ..

you can?t go wrong with that part of the country. i have heard that Enriquillo is awe inspiring.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
forget about Lago Enriquillo ! nothing THAT interesting. (unless you like muddy,smelly and salty waters with reptiles around and prehistoric feeling in the air...)
http://dominicanfun.net/photo-gallery/lakes-in-dominican-republic/
instead go to Los Patos, Paraiso and Enriquillo (town)
http://dominicanfun.net/photo-gallery/beaches-in-dominican-republic/

you may also go to bahia de las aguilas - I wasn there, but heard only good stories about it....however, getting there directly to Bahia could be a little tricky as the road is so-so (good car needed for it or motorbike..not sure which is better)