job fair for grupo aman, 4th of october

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is the group developing playa grande. the job fair will take place on the 4th of october in what used to be hotel montemar in POP (that abandoned hotel in front of long beach):
http://www.ppenlinea.blogspot.com/2015/09/feria-de-empleos-hotel-amanera-puerto.html

2rzyw5c.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Montemar. We stayed at that hotel back in 1978 - they told us that it was a hotel that had been converted into a boys' school, and was just being converted back to a hotel. No services except rooms, they were working on a small restaurant. There were Laurel & Hardy sheets on our bed. No lie. I woke up in the middle of the night and I swear there was a man standing over my side of the bed just staring. All doors and windows locked, so must have been a ghost. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Montemar. We stayed at that hotel back in 1978 - they told us that it was a hotel that had been converted into a boys' school, and was just being converted back to a hotel. No services except rooms, they were working on a small restaurant. There were Laurel & Hardy sheets on our bed. No lie. I woke up in the middle of the night and I swear there was a man standing over my side of the bed just staring. All doors and windows locked, so must have been a ghost. :)

that was Mr AE. you had just had too much Presidente.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Knowing the Aman brand well and having seen and been involved in their only resort opening in the Caribbean to date, I know their expectations are very high for employees. I suspect that they will have a nucleus of imported staff (most likely Filipinos and Indonesians as well as most senior management), especially for front of house jobs, to ensure the brand image and quality is established and maintained, and will be looking for this core group to help develop capable and willing Dominicans. Well worth it for career minded individuals who would want to be part of one of the most exclusive world wide hospitality brands.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The developer is actually Dolphin Capital Partners.

Aman will be running the hotel.
They have hires already from the local area.
This is a big hire project.... lots of people and very close on the radar.

ju10 knows what he's talking about

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Why a moldy old hotel in POP and not La Catalina or Bahia Principe closer to the homes of the potential workers?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
La catalina is history...

Perhaps they need to cast a wider net to find acceptable employees.

There have been two of these jobs fairs in the local area.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why a moldy old hotel in POP and not La Catalina or Bahia Principe closer to the homes of the potential workers?

POP is the closest big city. many workers move with the flow. some may actually come from along the coast but temporarily stay in puerto plata because of more job potential.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a large contingent of construction workers that come from great distances for this work... at this project.

Good work, good pay.... really long days.

The permanent workers are the next tranche.

Look at Punta Cana for examples........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, it's closed with no buyers.. no future, it appears.

Very sad, the owners have the money but not the desire, it seems.

It is a very, very good venue........... but.............