Claro - Promotional Fiber Optic Package

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Claro is offering a promotional package of switching to Fiber Optics here in Santiago.

(1) Fiber Optic
(2) 20Mb unlimited download speed
(3) 3 Mb upload speed
(4) TV service
(5) Home phone with 60 Minutes free calls to cell phones
(6) Unlimited local calls
(7) I forgot what they said the U.S. / Long Distance call allowance is, if any.

Monthly cost including taxes: $3,680.50

I was very specific about asking if there was a capacity limit on the download speed.

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sounds like a good deal. Is there any problem switching if you are already on an existing plan?

I'm on an existing plan and they called and offered this one to me.

I would suggest going to the Claro office downtown on Del Sol and talking to them to see if there is a fiber optic line in your area and if you can get the promotion. I did not have the TV service and they stated that portion has an 18 month contract, but not the Internet or Phone since I already had that.

I did give the representative the 3rd degree about the offer, I don't think they were use to "all" my questions.

They have a 10Mb and a 20Mb package.

This 20Mb deal is better and cost less then my 10Mb plan in Florida without Home phone service.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you know if the Claro plan will have a US or DR IP address?

SKY, it appears to be DR based from your speed test.

I am not aware of this being available yet in Cabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Claro has DR IP's.

Makes perfect sense. I like my US IP with a cable modem, but I can work around it for the higher speeds when available where I am.

Oddly enough Claro ran fiber optic cable along the road side several years ago from Sosua into Cabarete. Tearing up the side of the road in the process. I suppose it just is not enough time yet for them to actually hook up the necessary equipment to use it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well,

Claro calls me today and offers this "Great" service.

Right now my Internet is on a roller-coaster, I'm posting on the uphill swing
As soon as the Internet light is active I press "enter", looking for luck that the post makes it before the downhill swing.

Interesting is the fiber optic cable outside my house is supposed to belong to Tricom and not Claro.
That cable with the "fiber optic" label on it goes to the big Tricom cell phone tower down a little and across the street.

My hopes and dreams may be scattered when Claro comes out and can't find their fiber optic cable.
There is a second cable, but it appears to be cable TV and not fiber optic.

I wonder if when I go to sign the contract I can add a penalty clause for each day of delay getting me my "new" service....

Oops, have to rush the green light is lit on the modem.....

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Well,

Claro calls me today and offers this "Great" service.

Right now my Internet is on a roller-coaster, I'm posting on the uphill swing
As soon as the Internet light is active I press "enter", looking for luck that the post makes it before the downhill swing.

Interesting is the fiber optic cable outside my house is supposed to belong to Tricom and not Claro.
That cable with the "fiber optic" label on it goes to the big Tricom cell phone tower down a little and across the street.

My hopes and dreams may be scattered when Claro comes out and can't find their fiber optic cable.
There is a second cable, but it appears to be cable TV and not fiber optic.

I wonder if when I go to sign the contract I can add a penalty clause for each day of delay getting me my "new" service....

Oops, have to rush the green light is lit on the modem.....
If Claro is using the same technology as Verizon Fios, which is more than likely , that one piece of fiber is used for tv, phone ,and internet. There is no need to run fiber for each of the 3 services.
So you might have a chance getting fiber to you house.
That cell tower fiber is only for the celular system. That's a dedicated feed that goes to a central office ( switching and rounting) to interface the cell phone with the phone system.
I am a Verizon lineman, I run fiber for Fios and cell towers. No Google used in this post. Hahha

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If Claro is using the same technology as Verizon Fios, which is more than likely , that one piece of fiber is used for tv, phone ,and internet. There is no need to run fiber for each of the 3 services.
So you might have a chance getting fiber to you house.
That cell tower fiber is only for the celular system. That's a dedicated feed that goes to a central office ( switching and rounting) to interface the cell phone with the phone system.
I am a Verizon lineman, I run fiber for Fios and cell towers. No Google used in this post. Hahha

Thanks,

What I was saying about the cables outside on the poles is that it appears to be only "one" fiber optic cable and it's not Claro's. I think they have my location confused in their computer system.

I think I found my Internet connection problem, appears that my desk top crashes the Internet. Using my "small" laptop/notebook right now and the Internet is fine but it is too much stress on my eyes.

The desk top unit is ultra small and it's unlikely that I can replace the network card, it's most likely built into the mother board. So I will probably have to use a USB wireless adapter.