Safety continues to be a major concern for tourists visiting the Colonial Zone

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a report recently posted by someone who stayed at the Aparta Hotel Roma II. feel free to draw your own conclusions.

?Be Prepared......Use Caution.....?
Reviewed June 2, 2015
My friends and I have stayed at the Roma ll a total of 4 times. We like the price/location/staff are helpful. We recently visited and even though we are always on alert and the area is a tourist area, 3 of my friends were robbed at gun point in the hotel lobby. We understand that things happen, but it would have been nice if the owner had shown my friends some form of concern. They weren't really expecting a free stay or reimbursement, but a simple "sorry this happened to you in my hotel" would have sufficed. Many of the hotels in the area have police posted outside and more than 1 person at the desk. The Roma ll has no security and usually 1 young lady at the desk at night. The one working the night of the robbery was robbed also. If you should stay at this hotel or any hotel in the Colonial Zone, BE ON ALERT AT ALL TIMES!!! They know when people are visiting and MOST of them will do ANYTHING for money. We may or MAY NOT be visiting again but more concern should be shown for the safety and well being of your guests.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is this hotel extremely small? Businesses of any size almost always have an armed guard posted outside, especially since these guys get paid very little.

No it is NOT a small Mom and Pop Hotel.

And they also do very little.

True, but just the sight of a guard with a shotgun is usually a deterrent, except probably out in some remote area of the campo.

So, what does the hotel do at night? Just leave the front door unlocked with a little old lady behind the desk so gun carrying bandits can just walk in.

This sounds like a disgruntled monger and the hotel refused to let him have more than one guest in the room at a time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
http://apartahotelroma2.com/reservations/

Take a look, and the OP is trying to get us to believe this hotel can NOT afford to hire an armed guard at night? I think the report forgot to mention what time at night it happened and forgot the old lady at the desk at night was also confined to a wheel chair...................

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am asking you AGAIN: why is it that you posted this review here? are you thinking of staying there? do you have a competing hotel? you were looking for negative reviews for fun?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Definitely can afford a guard; I think they only make $1-2 per hour. Even though several guys with guns could over come the guard or simply walk up and shoot him as I have seen on the news, criminals will usually just pick another target rather than risking their life or a murder charge. Thus guards are a deterrent.

Possible yes, I know the area quite well and know the location of the hotel. I just don't buy that malarkey of just some old lady at the desk at night. This hotel is just off of el conde and even the few hotels directly on el conde have armed guards.

Still say disgruntled monger cause he could not have either two female or two males guests in his room at one time.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are two Hotels Roma within 200 yards of each other in Zona Colonial ..This one Roma 11 is on the corner of 19 de Marzo and Conde and I often walk past it at varying hours. It is a B and B place with a small reception on the ground floor and the bedrooms above. It is well known as a place for Americans to bring prostitutes to and I have noticed that in front of the glass entry doors there are often some rather unpleasant looking people but I have never seen an armed guard as most of the similar hotels have . This is in total contrast to say Palacio , Nicolas de Ovando , Europa, and the better hotels in ZC but is common to the many Band B places that are in Zona Colonial...there are dozens.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i am asking you AGAIN: why is it that you posted this review here? are you thinking of staying there? do you have a competing hotel? you were looking for negative reviews for fun?

Exactly. He had no answer the last time he did this, and has no answer now.

Closed.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Edited by Robert.

I suggest you have another go and stop keep rattling on about DR1 and censorship.

The floor is your's, tread lightly...

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I edited it. Have another go....

I give up, you have successfully censored me and quieted me. It seems as if a post is not of the "New Applebees opens in DR" variety it is too controversial, and therefore will be closed. It's sad when a news outlet becomes part of the problem, and thats exactly what has happened

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I give up, you have successfully censored me and quieted me. It seems as if a post is not of the "New Applebees opens in DR" variety it is too controversial, and therefore will be closed. It's sad when a news outlet becomes part of the problem, and thats exactly what has happened

I emailed you and told you what to do.
I posted and told you what to do.
I edited one of your posts and told you what to do.

Is the penny dropping yet or do I need to explain again?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I emailed you and told you what to do.
I posted and told you what to do.
I edited one of your posts and told you what to do.

Is the penny dropping yet or do I need to explain again?

Im out, no need to explain further

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have passed this hotel on many occasions day and night...the owner also owns a caf? on el conde between the two hotels ...and I think one of the hotels has closed down
I always spotted guys working the doors at night ...and I think you had to knock on the door to get admission late at night
and I never saw undesirables as such hanging around the place
I have stayed many times in an apart hotel very near this place and never had any problems...in fact I used to park my car right outside the hotel for safe keeping