No more Jetblue BOS-POP?!

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Forgive me if I am slow here....perhaps I missed it earlier....but I just went to book a flight, and Jetblue is now only flying on Saturdays from Boston to Puerto Plata??!! Even Samana has twice per week. The flight from JFK now departs at 6:35AM, so there is no connection possible same day from Boston. This is a total bummer. At least the Saturday one is direct, I guess. Sigh.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I thought I heard this was only from Nov thru Jan, and then will pick up again for the High Season .

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
I just checked, jd, thru March....it looks like straight thru the winter, Saturdays only....also, apart from some decent fares ($234 o/w) in Nov...the rest are sky high. Some at $400-600 o/w. And that's now w/out one free checked bag! "Blue Plus" "Blue Flex" Blue baloney. And that does not even include more leg room. I'm so upset w/ Jetblue, I may have to break up with them.
I hear Southwest is flying now to Punta Cana from Providence?!....once of my favorite airports. 2 free bags...less than $400 r/t. Nice salty peanuts. I haven't yet been, looks beautiful....maybe it's time to check out the East coast! What's an extra 3 hours drive, right?

Jan 9, 2004
I just checked, jd, thru March....it looks like straight thru the winter, Saturdays only....also, apart from some decent fares ($234 o/w) in Nov...the rest are sky high. Some at $400-600 o/w. And that's now w/out one free checked bag! "Blue Plus" "Blue Flex" Blue baloney. And that does not even include more leg room. I'm so upset w/ Jetblue, I may have to break up with them.
I hear Southwest is flying now to Punta Cana from Providence?!....once of my favorite airports. 2 free bags...less than $400 r/t. Nice salty peanuts. I haven't yet been, looks beautiful....maybe it's time to check out the East coast! What's an extra 3 hours drive, right?

Jetblue international flights still offer at least 1 bag free....no matter the class of service.

They also offer a non stop from Boston to Santiago (Flight 923).....much closer to POP than PUJ.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
From BOS there are a half dozen connections thru JFK to Santiago on jetBlue every day. How difficult is it to get from there to POP or the other north coast favorites ? Just curious. I always go to Santo Domingo.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Thank you, playacaribe. I think the free bag is only to certain airports/certain countries. (It says "For Blue and Blue Plus fares for flights to or from Santo Domingo, Santiago, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Kingston, Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota and Lima and Mexico City: one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35"). I think POP still gets charged for first bag. I'm not sure why that is?! And STI is definitely closer than PUJ...I was only serious about wanting break up with Jetblue, not really about wanting to drive from Punta Cana-lol.
And peep2, STI is, say, 2-1/2 hours to Cabrera....just not my preference. POP is so easy...easy car rental, famously cold Presidentes, 1 hr and a bit drive, provisions stop at Playero, Gordito's taco for the road....one flat, single coastal road. I fly SDQ and STI only if I have to. I also only drive in daylight hours...so many of those STI and SDQ flights are out for me. Thank you both for your replies.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Didn't realize your ultimate goal was Cabrera :) . That puts things in a different light. For what it's worth, you might consider dropping an email to jetBlue telling them you'd like to see more service to the north coast. They have a tendency to listen to their customers more than other airlines.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
have you tried AZS (samana)

better airport.......... no Gordito's but a good flight

They show a 1 hr connection from BOS to JFK to AZS
Arr @ 7am, fly @8am

50-60 minutes to Cabrera

Sat & Wed flights

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Thanks peep2 and Webbie....haven't yet gone thru AZS only b/c I keep striking out with Sixt car rental. I prefer that airport and drive to all others....looks like some good fares coming up, though.....will try again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there are agencies in Rio San Juan and cabrera that will pick you up for $25 with your rental.

Why not rent nearby and deliver it back when your done.?
About $30/day, as I recall.... SUV type, not new but functional

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup..... Rubi.... rent Pablo's moto.....

I have rented numerous times for friends... They are picked up and delivered to the house.

Good service.

You know where to get him

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Forgive me if I am slow here....perhaps I missed it earlier....but I just went to book a flight, and Jetblue is now only flying on Saturdays from Boston to Puerto Plata??!! Even Samana has twice per week. The flight from JFK now departs at 6:35AM, so there is no connection possible same day from Boston. This is a total bummer. At least the Saturday one is direct, I guess. Sigh.

From what I remember it was always just once a week on Sat and only in the winter