Stop complaining about Dom Rep

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
I am sick and tired of you guys who are always complaining about Dom Rep. The traffic, power, water, dirt etc etc etc and the bloody list is endless.

I love DR and hope this country never changes. There is no where in this world I can have a cool Presidente and drive, get to the beach in an hour and change, stop and have more Presidentes on the way, meet a new chick who wants to show me how Dominicans do it and find a place full of people to hangout on a Tuesday evening.

If you are one of those who complain about DR. Why bother visiting the Island, and what are you doing at DR1.com in the first place. So if you want to complain I am sure you guys can find some site called NuevaYol punto com and leave DR.com for us chosen ones who were not born here but are more Dominicans at heart than many a people born here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
More Please!

Wow!,Only 2 posts and I already "feel" like I know you! You drink to much! You like to "Drink and Drive",putting the lives of others in danger!Your sex life is none of my business,but it is an "indication of your personality. There is more to "living" in the Dom. Rep. than cold beer and casual sex,they do have their time and place I admit! and enjoy! I don,t like,the trafic,"apagones"Lights Out! no water,long lines to get your car "Stickers"no education,no health care,corruption,high cost of living,poverty,drunks,I think thats it! Those of us who choose to live here have every right to "Bitch and moan" about what we like and don,t like living here24/7! You and others might take a lesson from our experiance. The DR.,is much much more than "Sun,Sand,and Sex! Enjoy,spend a lot of money,and please come back,but tolerate our complaints. Criss Colon

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
i lived here 24/7

criss,

you have to get organized here buddy. i lived here 24/7 for 9 years and still have an apartment in santiago. i however have a secret. i hired someone who does all this for me and so i just save myself all the hassle.

i agree that dom rep is more than sex, drink and beach but, if one learns to have a decent setup here it is more fun than problems. and mind you i am not a bloody gringo with a sun burnt nose and a smile on his face which cannot be wiped off even with a 80 grit sand paper.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hey Missing Dr

Hello Missing DR:

I agree with you, more than 50% of the population spends their time drinking, dancing, having sex and letting the Haitians do the work. Drinking and driving is a national pastime improved with the new drinking and driving while talking on the cell phone while your girlfriend has her lollipop and your dog is barking in your windown at all the passing car drivers with dogs in their laps.Most of the others are just doing "bulto".

Welcome to funland!!!!

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am talking about what it is like to live here for "all of us",not just me,and my family! Tourists,Dominicans,foreigners,everyone! You are just concerned about yourself. I to,thank God,have the "abilities" to not be bothered by most of the "problems" of everyday living in the DR. Most people don,t. Free Speech,thank God we have the right to complain,and to proclaim.I,m going to try that 80 grit myself! Criss Colon

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Who says DR is only about drinking/driving, beach, merengue and sex? Have you forgotten that we don't only drink and drive but many people also practice drink & work. yeah, just like the northwest Airline pilots. How many times you see dominicans drink a cold "pequena" while on their lunch break?
What about the driving freedom, haven't you not crossed a red light after 10pm? How about changing the CD while chatting away with the "Jeva" on the cel phone and asking your buddy to open up another cold one while driving through the "Loma" (curvy mountain road) on the way to sosua?
I am simply amazed to see, or I should say, "not to see" so many accident on the road. Does that mean dominicans are better drivers or does it really prove the existance of GOD?
I will stick to the latter.
So all of you yellow bellies who complain about every little bee that sits on your nose, just come here for vacation and spend your money in a resort and then go back to your bubble where you came from. This land is for the few tough ones who have learned to accept the dominican way of life and actually have assimilated to the culture qite well...often better than the dominicans.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We don't really complain that much, do we?

I can agree that we sometime sound off on the problems we experience with "Jode Norte" or "Jode Sur" as one newspaper calls them. Hell, I was here when we had the first apag?n. You shoulda seen the place.

As they got worse, Balaguer gave out decrees and heads rolled but they only got worse... Still the same...

I think that the main frustration in today's DR is that we absolutely know that there is an installed capacity greater than the demand for electricity. And we absolutely know that the freakin' government does not pay the private suppliers on time, thereby causing these molestations to the paying public. We just vent a little. i mentioned a long time ago, during the summer when things were seriouly bad, that this was a tame country..reason? simple, they have not even burned one Jode Norte or Jode Sur truck!! In the riots in Navarete (and these are guys that don't post here!!) none of the electric company's vehicles were damaged. But the riot was about "apagones" ? Go figure.

This is probably the most universal cadillo in the Dominican Republic.

But take a look at any newspaper in the States or England.
Same schitt!. jeez! Last night on an NBA halftime show, Charles Barkley was asking how it was possible for Pirnce harry to get "doobies and drink beer" with his bodyguards all over the place...?? Imagine how the Brits feel...
You ever work for Enron?? Arthur Anderson? Talk about the schitt hitting a fan, man oh man..

If you miss this place get back here and have a kipe and a Presidente....Life is short. I stopped saving my "best" cigars a long time ago...

HB, venting a little...

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
AZB & GOLO are Great

VIVA AZB and GOLO. You are the types of guys who make this place heaven. May your souls always linger over this island and may you guys have a final resting place in the Panteon Nacional in Zona Colonial.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There is a difference between gripes and educated constructive criticism. The gripes are mainly from amatuer Dominicans, who can't adjust to the DR and its problems, most who spent a week at an all-inclusive and based on that decided to immigrate, then found out about real life. Chriss, AZB, TW and others live there fulltime and are pointing out the problems not just bitching about them. Several of the board members are also actively trying to improve matters.

Its just as important to understand the bad as the good. I have to tell you that things in the DR are worse today than when I lived there. We had occaissional power outages and once in a while we had to haul in water but most of the time we could drink it out of the tap. Traffic was not as bad, the city ended at Ave. Lincoln.

It would take me some adjustment to my present lifestyle to return there but I have an advantage of having lived in areas with the same type of problems and I also read what these guys say and know I will have to invest in an inverter, drink bottled water (I prefer the flavoured water they have there called Presidente) and make othe adjustments that I might not be prepared for if not for these guys.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Yo... Missing_dr

[Please note ~ I've edited this message by deleting part of the original text that directed "missing" to a BB forum that I moderate. - - - ...CES ]

~ + ~ + ~ + ~

When I read posts of a similar nature, to yours, I think two thoughts: you're spot on serious in what you've said or it's possibly a "tongue in cheek" thing that you've penned.

My friend, I have a word or two for you if it's the former.

regards,

. . . CES

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Why your insistance on promoting another Bravenet forum (first post just 10 days ago)? How many do we need (the original is http://pub47.bravenet.com/ ). Why the need to drive traffic away from the DR1 forum? The current topic is DR1 appropriate.

Every other post is CES on your new board. Or maybe more. Most of the posters have never posted here on DR1. Hmmm... That, and lots of left-wing USA political stuff.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree....

CES, Stop Spamming!

Right now I'm deleting the link, it's much easier for me to delete your posts.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
My reason. . .

Jim Hinsch said:
Every other post is CES on your new board. Or maybe more. Most of the posters have never posted here on DR1. Hmmm... That, and lots of left-wing USA political stuff. [/B]

for directing "missing.." to ~ DR + RD ~ is a simple one, at one time DR1's 'TOS' stated that issues (messagess) of a personal nature weren't welcomed and should not be posted. In this new version the personal and superfluous have merged and I'm not going down that road. What I want to say to "missing_dr" is 'dead serious' and I feel that the endless diatribe that has infused the "Open" forum isn't the place for what I intend to write if "missdr" cares to reply. Also the last time I posted on DR1 something that will parallel my reply to "Missing" it was deleted.

Give me a break Jim, the 'new forum' "DR - RD", is the legitimate continuation of the old Bravenet "Advisory..." that had a two & half year run. Also Jim, I 'see' the IPs and if you think that I'm posting to myself. . . wrong! The majority of posts are by veterans of DR1 and you'll also notice that I've linked back to DR1 in some of my messages. . .
so in essence I'm promoting DR1. . . _:)_

regards,

. . . CES

PS . . . AS for the "left-wing political issues" that's my "bag... /age", and I believe a 'little light' always makes the cock-a-roaches run. . . also please remember the guiding spirit of the forum: . . . "Caball?"

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is a little more unrestricted, this is why it's called an "open" forum. If it get's too personal, it gets deleted. Actually, it all depends on what side of the bed I fall out of to how I moderate the messages in this forum.
yawnee2.gif

The usual guidelines apply to the other forums.

Thanks for the links back to DR1. As 99% of your visitors come from DR1, not sure how that helps promote us?

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Re: I agree... (Yo, Rob - Addendum :)

Robert said:
CES, Stop Spamming!

Right now I'm deleting the link, it's much easier for me to delete your posts.

Thanks Rob, I needed that. . .

As for deleting my link, fair is fair, however I will continue give DR1 a link in my posts on "DR - RD" when appropriate. . .

regards,

. . . CES

~ Addendum ~

PS . . . as I was 'fiddling' with my post yours popped up so I'll add this:

The vBulletin format gives you the much needed ability to 'line edit' content, it's a big plus and it will keep you out of 'harms way' when something needs that special little surgical procedure.

I'm a bit confused here, Jim said that most of the content on "RD - RD" was some pig'ment of my imagination and you say 99% of the posters are from DR1, what does this say? Could it be that I'm suffering from some sort of multiple personality disorder or what? _:(_

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Your response is too 'dead serious' for DR1's OPEN forum? Right.

Put your ego aside and post your response to "missing_DR" here. We all on DR1 are waiting for the big "dead serious" post.

I hate when one resorts to a bicker and I know Rob hates it even more, so this is my last comment on this topic. Aside from coming directly from DR1, one can find the other Dominican forum by going to Bravenet.com and doing a FORUM SEARCH with keyword "Dominican".

Since your forum doesn't show up (the original site - now deleted - and its replacement do show up, as well as a few other Dominican related forums), I can't imagine how anybody would ever have arrived there if not for having read your suggestion to visit it. Maybe you can tell us all how they got to "your" forum and then "discovered" DR1 from that.

"Every other post is CES on your new board. Or maybe more. Most of the posters have never posted here on DR1. Hmmm... "
Just an observation.

Again, the question. Why create a second bravenet forum? The existing one replaced the original before yours showed up. That's a fact. The DR1 forum is quite open these days so censorship as a reason doesn't hold much water. Now you say the DR1 forum is TOO open for the seriousness of your response?

Post your response to "missing_DR" here. We all on DR1 are waiting for the big "dead serious" post.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
you might also notice that there are very few PPD (posts per day) on either of the Bravenet forums. I check it once in a while but they are usually like a soap opera. You can miss a few days and you haven't missed anything.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
The other boards

I noticed that, no inflating of one's egos :) I wonder how many posts would be on this board if they were not self congratulory?

Still haven't figured out "Spanish 21" nor can I find any reference to it

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
To CES question

You all seem to be criticizing CES for starting a new board with "your" members. Don't most new organizations, clubs, groups start with disaffected members of an original idea?

Though you are doing an overwhelming business here, you apparently are not addressing the needs of all.

The majority of posts here are between three or four people recalling the disgusting treatment of others, there ignorance of any socail graces and their uncanny ability to appear as the most unappealing reprersenatives of the male sex

Is this by design or defect?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Maybe you should get out of the "Open" forum once and a while.
You might find this site has quite a bit of useful information.

I always find it amusing when someone comes here and complains and moans about the board or the site.

You want a refund?