MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
his name is Christian,
i know the guy since my first day on the Island over 20 years ago,
we exactly met in Playa Dorada on april 17th 1995,
a dive Instructor who moved many years ago from PoP over here to Punta Cana.
been told by a friend on the phone right now,
that Christian was on a drinking sweep last evening/night thru Bavaro,
and then on the way home to La Otra Banda, in/around La Ceiba) a incident with a Motoconcho happened.
i can't tell what happened,
but been told now that Motoconcho guys gathered together and killed him.
anybody who has any info on this,
i would really appreciate to know about.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to hear that Mike, condolences on the death of your friend.

I'm sure someone will have the details, gory as they may turn out to be.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
RIP

Not sure if I knew him. Was living in POP too and moved on to Bavaro around 2007.

What he did in La Ceiba in the middle of the night? Did he live that far off?

Sorry, just saw that you mentioned he lived in La Otra Banda...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah,from Bavaro he took the usual way home passing Uvero Alto-La Ceiba.
been in touch with local police, but only on the phone,
sounds like he did damage to several vehicle there and fled, a "crowd" went after him ...
they did not mention "Motoconcho" as i've been told before.
it's all rumors til now.

Mike, he worked in Puerto Plata/Playa Dorada as a Dive Instructor for many years. starting back in 1995.
i moved a few months afterwards to Punta Cana and some years later we run into each others again in Veron, by coincedence.
can't tell which year that was, he moved over here at that time, many years ago.

Mike

Feb 7, 2007
Sorry to hear that ... but if he hit something in La Ceiba, there was a PN station at the exit of La Ceiba... he should have gone there. From what you wrote it looks like he did not stop and kept going, and they caught up with him.

May he rest in piece...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sad news Mike, sorry to hear of this. From what you have been told up to now it sounds like a lynching after a hit and run. You know what they can be like once they get going in a crowd.

Motoconcho in Bavaro, Haitians maybe? either way matters not, but a nasty way to go.

Nothing online as of yet, maybe they'll print something Monday morning.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
May he RIP.....Sad how some never miss an opportunity to drag Haitians thru the mud without knowing facts.....

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
May he RIP.....Sad how some never miss an opportunity to drag Haitians thru the mud without knowing facts.....

Do you know Bavaro? Obviously not... If so, you would know that almost all motoconchos there are Haitian... so HUG's assumption has nothing to do with what you imply.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it did not happen in Bavaro, it happened around La Ceiba.
the last notices seem to point to a accident caused by Him, without any details known by myself at this moment,
and then "a mob" killing him.

Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more reason to have a legal licensed gun when you travel. This poor guy might well be alive today if he had one. And he need not kill anyone. One or two shots in the air and you would see the fastest runners east of the Olympics.

Sorry for your friend Mike. RIP.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
One more reason to have a legal licensed gun when you travel. This poor guy might well be alive today if he had one. And he need not kill anyone. One or two shots in the air and you would see the fastest runners east of the Olympics.

Sorry for your friend Mike. RIP.

Or he might have just been shot! this lynching mob mentality in DR is sick. it is a regular occurrence and appears acceptable on the grand scale of things. Horrid.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Or he might have just been shot! this lynching mob mentality in DR is sick. it is a regular occurrence and appears acceptable on the grand scale of things. Horrid.

One thing we agree on. It could not be worse than it was. Believe me these Moto Conchos would have fled so fast when he pulls it out and fires he could have walked away.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Sorry to hear about Christian. I have been in the area many times. I can believe it was a lynch mob. Hope the SOB's get caught and face the same punishment.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hopefully the real details come out.
as for the Guns, i know myself a good share of Motoconcho drivers who carry their piece, legally,
so i can imagine how many do so illegally.
while a legal semiauto 380 or 9mm costs at last 100K and the good brands more than double, Used of course,
you can get a top gun on the streets easily for 20K and even less.
i hope i get real details, also about where exactly it happened.
the time is known now, it was at 2AM, that leaves of course a heck of speculations.
at the end of La Ceiba is a police post, unless a car is smashed completely, push the throttle and stop there.
Christian was completely familiar with the area there, known by almost everybody around.
he also usually carried a piece in the car, only in the car,i often joked when he said he leaves it in the car even over night, which been a stupid part from my side's discussion.
something does completely not fit on anything.

Mike

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sky is right, they would have run. I doubt many moto conchos carry guns since any gun now is worth 80K pesos; .

You can buy a gun on the streets for RD8000 in 5 minutes( if you know where to go, who to ask, and motoconchos are the exact people who know where), less even for some old knackered revolver.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
As tragic as this is hopefully the rest of us expats will learn that we can't drink ourselves silly and drive. Playing bumper cars at 2 in the morning while your gooned will only bring really bad things. Especially in a third world country.
RIP Christain. Maybe some of us will learn from your mistake

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sky is right, they would have run.

Now lets not get carried away with psychic powers here! there is a 50/50 chance in DR if you pull a gun on someone that you will have one pulled on you. It could have gone either way, but for the sakes of peace I'll pretend you are psychic:paranoid:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just now on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Bavaro-Digital-312866558728216/timeline/

12119172_1166196626728534_8940981177395692816_n.jpg

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
Hi Mike, I have heard the same stories going through the German community here in bavaro tonight. All I can say is Christian will be sadly missed. I had a few beers with him a two nights ago. Loved talking with him over a few presidentes. He was a great guy and will be missed. As his story passed through the corner bar tonight bottles were raised in his memory. We lost one of our brothers. RIP our friend.