Natura Park EcoResort: Need suggestions

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
People on DR1 gave me great advice a couple of years ago about a wedding I was part of In Sosua. Here I am again, looking for suggestions and ideas.

We have booked a one-week AI stay at Natura Park EcoResort (Nov. 20 to 27/15). The description says it is near Laguna Bavaro, Punta Cana. While we expect to have a fine time in the resort, we don't like to stay inside the walls all the time. We've visited the DR many times, but always on the north coast; the west coast is new to us. We're not big fans of "excursions." They're expensive, and besides, you spend all your time with fellow tourists being steered to the places the organizer wants to bring you to. On the north coast, we've happily taken the gaugua into a nearby town (or sometimes a taxi or a publico) and then enjoyed wandering around, maybe having a drink, and buying some coffee and rum in a supermercado to bring back home. Sometimes we rented a small motorcycle and toured the area just enjoying the different landscape and the small towns we passed through. (This was always in the area of Puerto Plata). We're not interested in night life, as we're in our early 70's, but we're healthy, like walking, and like to get away from the artificiality of the resort culture and get a sense of the place we're visiting.

We don't know the southeast part of the DR at all. Is there a gaugua we can take, and if so, what town is not too far away for a visit this way? Could we arrange for a driver to take us around, show us some of the nearby sights (what are they?) I don't like to ask at the resort, because they'll just direct us to their taxis or their preferred excursions, which are usually overpriced. But we'd be happy to pay a local person to drive us for half a day to show us some local spots of interest. I get the feeling renting a small motorcycle is not a good idea (read about some of the perils on other threads). Is that correct?

We do really like the DR and Dominicans, and do fine with our bad Spanish and some good will. We're not fearful, but if there are places we should avoid or things we shouldn't do, it would be good to know that.

The advice you gave me last time on DR1 was great, and very kindly given. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us this time.
Lindy

KITTU

May 13, 2015
People on DR1 gave me great advice a couple of years ago about a wedding I was part of In Sosua. Here I am again, looking for suggestions and ideas.

We have booked a one-week AI stay at Natura Park EcoResort (Nov. 20 to 27/15). The description says it is near Laguna Bavaro, Punta Cana. While we expect to have a fine time in the resort, we don't like to stay inside the walls all the time. We've visited the DR many times, but always on the north coast; the west coast is new to us. We're not big fans of "excursions." They're expensive, and besides, you spend all your time with fellow tourists being steered to the places the organizer wants to bring you to. On the north coast, we've happily taken the gaugua into a nearby town (or sometimes a taxi or a publico) and then enjoyed wandering around, maybe having a drink, and buying some coffee and rum in a supermercado to bring back home. Sometimes we rented a small motorcycle and toured the area just enjoying the different landscape and the small towns we passed through. (This was always in the area of Puerto Plata). We're not interested in night life, as we're in our early 70's, but we're healthy, like walking, and like to get away from the artificiality of the resort culture and get a sense of the place we're visiting.

We don't know the southeast part of the DR at all. Is there a gaugua we can take, and if so, what town is not too far away for a visit this way? Could we arrange for a driver to take us around, show us some of the nearby sights (what are they?) I don't like to ask at the resort, because they'll just direct us to their taxis or their preferred excursions, which are usually overpriced. But we'd be happy to pay a local person to drive us for half a day to show us some local spots of interest. I get the feeling renting a small motorcycle is not a good idea (read about some of the perils on other threads). Is that correct?

We do really like the DR and Dominicans, and do fine with our bad Spanish and some good will. We're not fearful, but if there are places we should avoid or things we shouldn't do, it would be good to know that.

The advice you gave me last time on DR1 was great, and very kindly given. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us this time.
Lindy

Hiiii, Welcome to Bavaro, Punta Cana.

Well basically you will be in the village of Cabeza de torro. Its kinda village with fishermen etc. But you also have a coffee shop, souvenir stores in the village and a couple of restaurants on the beach in the village.If you want to spend an afternoon expensively, there is pearl beach club. You are very close to Downtown punta cana where you have a shopping center with a super market and restaurants, cinema halls and outlets. . Furthur down you have Bavaro, where you have loads of restaurants by the beach and a square called Turquesa which is quite cosy fo dinner etc. On the opposite side of cabeza de torro. towards the airport is a gallery of stores and restaurants called the punta cana village , very nice with different choices of restaurants and Nacional. Then you have beach clubs like Playa Blanca and Juanillo, worth visiting. Good luck.Krishna

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I would consider going from Punta Cana to the La Romana area and specifically Altos de Chevon. This is a recreated 15 century Roman Village. There are artists and restaurants and is a niceG place to walk and relax. It is about 58 miles away and is a very doable drive. You are on a main highway and it is easy driving. If you don't want to rent a car hiring a driver, as you suggested, is a very good idea. As far as highering a driver it is a crap shoot. Possibly talk to taxi drivers who are dropping people off at your resort. Have fun.

Feb 7, 2007
I have never heard that you could get to Altos de Chavon without either being on a tour bus, or renting/owning property in Casa de Campo. Several times I tried on my own, and was turned away.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have never heard that you could get to Altos de Chavon without either being on a tour bus, or renting/owning property in Casa de Campo. Several times I tried on my own, and was turned away.

I havn't been there for a while but I wasn't aware that you could not enter individually. I'll check it out.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Thank you all for suggestions - I knew DR1 would come through because you did before.

How about the motorbike rental? Bad idea for us?

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Okay, probably not the motorbike rental then.

How about the guagua? Can we take this from the Natura resort to downtown Punta Cana? Where else does the guagua go? Can we take it to Bavaro?

BTW, thanks to the earlier poster about talking to a cab coming back to the resort. Good idea.

I have a lot of mistrust about resorts. I believe they want to keep the tourists inside the resort, spending all their money there. I guess I am like that rogue herd animal, always looking for the hole in the fence...ha ha!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I believe the entrance fee for entering casa de campo is $40 per per person....I was there two years ago

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Right near your hotel -- maybe five minutes drive -- is Bavaro Adventure Park. They have many attractions, the park is well managed, and while it is not inexpensive feel it is good value and well worth spending time there.

Now with the Boulevard Turistico most attractions in Punta Cana are easy to get to. Your hotel is located in the Cabeza de Toro area, which is central to the northern Bavaro and southern Punta Cana Resort /Cap Cana areas

http://www.bavaroadventurepark.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How about the guagua? Can we take this from the Natura resort to downtown Punta Cana? Where else does the guagua go? Can we take it to Bavaro?

When you are here you will realise that there is no real city centre. B?varo and Punta Cana is a 40km patchy sprawl of alternating urban development and open spaces. There are several focus points one of which is the Coco Loco crossing with the San Juan Shopping Centre and surrounding commercial/entertainment areas. Another is Cortecito-Los Corales, more residential but with lots of smaller restaurants, caf?s, bars and shops. Other posters have already mentioned Cabeza de Toro and Punta Cana Village. Friusa is more chaotic and "local", with car washes, noisy bars and commercial establishments, as is the town of Ver?n.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Thank you all for your suggestions, and I am copying them into a file to take with me. Here is one more scenario I'm hoping you can help me with, and some specific questions.

Let's say it's a cloudy morning, threatening rain all day, so no beach-walking or sunning today. We would like to go somewhere to buy about 8 lbs of coffee ( I love Dominican coffee) and some rum to bring home. We're not buying that stuff in the resort because...you know. But buying will be our last stop, as we will have to carry it back to the hotel.

How do we get to a place where there's a store we can buy the coffee and rum? Get a taxi at the resort, and tell him to take us where? Get the guagua - to where?

I like Chirimoya's description of Friusa - sounds like a place where we can walk around and feel like we are actually back in the DR. Can we buy the coffee and rum there? Do we need to take a taxi from the resort and ask him to wait for us?

Sorry, I know I sound like a crazy person, but I'm so distant. I could do all this in Puerto Plata or Sosua easily, but this is a new place to me.
Lindy