New road Piedra Blanca to Rancho Arriba

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...concluira-vias-en-piedra-blanca-y-villa-mella

According to the above article in Listin Diario the new road between Piedra Blanca and Rancho Arriba is to be opened this December or January.

As a person that has travelled this route on a very rocky dirt road through the mountains, this is an exciting development opening up the south west via San Jose de Ocoa from the Cibao without the long route through the capital.

This is a very beautiful part of this country, full of very beautiful geography and I encourage anyone who enjoys scenic driving through ever changing topography to make plans to take this route after opening.

A day out and a bbq and cold beer by the banks of Rio Nizao close to Rancho Arriba is a lovely way to spend a day especially knowing the jouney home will be on a new road. And they have some good coffee in those parts.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I drove the road last week and there is still allot of work neede to be done. The contractors are working full out with over 100 pieces of equiment on the stretch. I would estimate that it will be ready in March. There is still allot of cut and fill and drainage needed. Also it will be good when the overpass in Piedra Blanca Aut. duarte is completed as that is a notorius accident spot.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I drove this road today several years after enduring the rough track from Piedra Blanca to Rancho Arriba and back, taking about two hours each way. Todays drive from Piedra Blanca was about half and hour with stops.

It is a pleasant drive and a decent number of overtaking zones on the steep uphill section. Good civil engineering and some effort has gone into landscaping. They have drilled small holes I the rock faces and planted grass such that some elevations are well covered now. and they have turfed the road margins. Some good scenic views to take in.

Nice to pass the coffee plantations on arrival in Rancho Arriba. My understanding is that this is a prime source for Santo Domingo coffee.

Now the less good news.

The road from Rancho Arriba to Nizao is still in a state of construction. It appears the culvert work is close to completion so maybe paving is not that far away. It wasn't that rough and passing alongside a fast flowing river helped distract attention from the road. From Nizao to San Jose de Ocoa is good as is the road to Cruz de Ocoa. Some very beautiful scenery indeed to be found all around on this section of the drive from Rancho Arrriba. Some lovely spots for a leisurely day and a bbq with cold beers and cooling off by the river and already planned.

Also on the outbound journey I tried the Santo Domingo ring road from Haina to Pedro Brand for the first time and that cut driving time north hugely. It is accessed a mile or so past the toll on 30 de Mayo. Tolls cost 160rd to go this way.

Here's a video of the new PB to RA road posted earlier this year:

[video=youtube_share;qEYnltJFiaA]https://youtu.be/qEYnltJFiaA[/video]

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I applaud the construction of this road, but still the country needs another one to connect El Cibao and El Sur...

From Piedra Blanca to Ocoa is a long haul around skipping Santo Domingo between El Sur and El Cibao but I don't think
this is going to increase commercial relationship between the two areas of the country.

JJ

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I applaud the construction of this road, but still the country needs another one to connect El Cibao and El Sur...

From Piedra Blanca to Ocoa is a long haul around skipping Santo Domingo between El Sur and El Cibao but I don't think
this is going to increase commercial relationship between the two areas of the country.

JJ

Not sure were you are coming from.

Piedra Blanca to Pedro Brand and then the ring road to Haina, then to Bani and Cruz de Ocoa, assuming no bad Bani traffic will take a minimum of two hours plus minimum 100rd toll (160 back) for light vehicle.

If they complete the Nizao to Rancho Arriba section it would likely take one and a half hour maximum to the Cruz from PB. Considering the immediate trade will be the San Jose and surrounding areas agricultural goods to the Cibao, that journey time has been slashed even with a short incomplete section.

Would love to see the San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza road improved......(so I can drive it). With the mountain range in the way I doubt a link from the northern Cibao to San Juan will be built for many a year if at all.....but that would be nice.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The dream of all Cibao people is a road to connect Santiago to San Juan De la Maguana, but there are too many interest involved...

Some people say this will damage the ecology system of the Cordillera Central and will put in risk the North and South Yaque Del Norte Rivers...

Some others says it is an economic issue between SD and Santiago markets, Stgo. within the years will become stronger than SD.

JJ

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
I rode this road on a rented dirt bike in 2014. It was pouring rain, the bike had a flaw which caused it to shut down when it got wet and I was shivering from the cold on top of it all. Fun times, fun times :) I look forward to riding it again now that it's been mostly paved.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I rode this road on a rented dirt bike in 2014. It was pouring rain, the bike had a flaw which caused it to shut down when it got wet and I was shivering from the cold on top of it all. Fun times, fun times :) I look forward to riding it again now that it's been mostly paved.
The new road is every bit as nice and well-engineered as the Jarabacoa-El Rio road, the Autopoista-Constanza road or the Miches-El Seibo road.

One difference is it has two stretches which are very steep, and we're told some weaker vehicles don't make it or overheat going from Piedra Blanca....