Black Mass.....Pacto Criminal

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
http://www.palaciodelcine.com.do/cartelera/movie-det.php?id=1124

For all those that like a good true story gangster movie which is about Whitey Bulger from South Boston, go see it at your local cine in DR where it is on now.

Great Johnny Depp performance imo.

English language with Spanish subtitles

Yea, yea. I saw it when I was in the US. First time in ages Johnny Depp hasn't phoned it in. Benedict Cumberbrit was pretty horrible as Billy Bulger, which ****ed me off bc he's such a good actor and so good at dialects. Despite the fact that much of it was filmed in Chelsea (not Southie, which is so gentrified as to not be recognizable) and despite the fact that it left out the very trenchant fact that Whitey did not leave alone, but with Catherine Greig, and despite the fact, etc., etc. , I still did enjoy it.

When Johnny Depp wants to be an actor, he is one of the best. Also astonishing was Matt Damon-lite Jesse Plemons and who woulda thunk that Kevin Bacon was still on duty in MA, left over from "Mystic River."

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hopefully Sicario also now showing in cinemas in DR might excite you a wee bit. For me a very good film that kept ones attention throughout.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I saw it on Putlocker the the other night. Thought it to be one of JDs poorer movies. As far as mob movies go, sh1t. Ass far as gangster movies go, Sh1t. As far a Depp being violent and a tad of a storyline... alright.

Out of 10? I actually fell asleep, but I was watching it in bed!

looking forward to the new Krays legend movie, that I have no idea why is not online yet, anyone?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I saw it on Putlocker the the other night. Thought it to be one of JDs poorer movies. As far as mob movies go, sh1t. Ass far as gangster movies go, Sh1t. As far a Depp being violent and a tad of a storyline... alright.

Out of 10? I actually fell asleep, but I was watching it in bed!

It gets 7.5 out of 10 by those movie raters. True stories can be less than perfect for movies especially if one knows the storyline. I thought JD acted well. I'm not the only one and I think he is better suited to the more dramatic role.

Sicario gets 9.3 so hopefully you might enjoy that a wee bit more and keep you awake. Your debating buddy wyw would enjoy the guns and violence.....in both.

Can't please everyone.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It gets 7.5 out of 10 by those movie raters. True stories can be less than perfect for movies especially if one knows the storyline. I thought JD acted well. I'm not the only one and I think he is better suited to the more dramatic role.

Sicario gets 9.3 so hopefully you might enjoy that a wee bit more and keep you awake. Your debating buddy wyw would enjoy the guns and violence.....in both.

Can't please everyone.

I think I expected too much as I have been waiting so long for it. I was a little harsh but a bad JD movie is still a good movie in the eyes of the viewer.
It's still a 7.5 outa 10.
Look at the **** we have.

And any idea where i can stream Legend (2015) with Tom Hardy). Man I have been anticipating this move for months and it is still not online.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
And any idea where i can stream Legend (2015) with Tom Hardy). Man I have been anticipating this move for months and it is still not online.

Can't help you there.

I live about 300yds from my local cine at Bella Vista so going to watch a film on the big screen is a spur of the moment thing and costs peanuts.......cost 100rd to watch Black Mass because early week they have half price tickets, 200rd for Sicario.

I see that Palacio de Cine are already promoting Spectre the next James Bond film saying that it will be released in DR, 1 day ahead of general worldwide release. They forget to mention that it gets it's worldwide premier in London on 26th October.

http://acento.com.do/2015/sociales/...dominicanos-a-premier-pelicula-de-james-bond/

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I liked Depp's interpretation of Whitey.

For those who know Billy Bulger Cumberbatch didn't capture the real Bulger. He replaced Guy Pearce who had to back out at the last minute because of scheduling conflicts. To be fair he didn't have adequate time to prepare.

Billy Bulger is a legendary wit. His role as master of ceremonies of the annual St. Patrick's Day Breakfast over a period of 30 odd years was a showplace for that wit. There are youtube clips.

Cumberbatch didn't capture that wit at all.

In the movie Billy Bulger's use of profanity in private does not not ring true to me.

All that aside the movie might offend Boston accent purists or Billy Bulger purists but I liked the movie.

I can get past my problems with Cumberbatch to appreciate that the movie will reach a larger audience who don't care about the accuracy of the portrayal. In that context I can appreciate the conflict of the Senate president aware of his brother's reputation being loyal to family while wanting to keep a distance from his brother's activities.

This is a compelling movie about a complex web of crime and deceit that gripped Boston for years.

Here's Kevin Weeks on Billy:

Interviewer:

The relationship between Whitey and his brother Billy has always fascinated me?that the most notorious crime boss in Boston could have a brother who, as president of the Massachusetts State Senate, was the most powerful politician in Massachusetts.

Weeks:

OK, I was up at Billy Bulger?s house over 100 times with Jimmy. He never discussed any street business or crime with Billy. It was always conversations about regular family stuff. There?s no doubt in my mind that Billy knew Jimmy was involved in the rackets, but as far as the murders, if Billy did hear something about that I bet he?d choose not to believe it, because he?s a very religious man. There was the case of Senator John E. Powers, who was a judge. He fired Whitey from being a janitor at the courthouse. Billy never forgave him for that because after Whitey was fired from that job, he started committing all these crimes and stuff. So when it came to John E. Powers getting a raise or anything like that, it never made it past Billy Bulger in the Senate. So if someone was attacking his family, sure, he would stick it to that person whatever way he could legally. But as far as shielding Whitey from investigations? Billy never did that. Never.

The joke around Boston at that time was that Judge Powers' office was moved into a broom closet.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/20/whitey-bulger-s-enforcer-slams-black-mass-the-movie-is-pure-fiction.html

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I'm from Boston and in the parade scene....
Great movieJD killed it

In Cabarete now, going to Gorditos now...

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
After watching the excellent script and casting in the The Departed I hope to not be disappointed by Black Mass even though one is fiction.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just saw SICARIO this afternoon - matinee - $9 w/ lounge seats.

Pennsylvania, not SD

Very good..... Bridge of Spies up next - manana maybe

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
still no legend! Is legend even out over there? or there may be no interest at all being a British gangster flick.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Black Mass was good, but Bridge of Spies is excellent. Go see it when you can.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
saw it just now--- agreed , excellent.

and fun for those of us who remember the U-2 affair.

there are more good ones coming.....