Travel between POP and Santiago

masterjohn

Jan 18, 2002
Can anyone tell me the best way to get from Puerto Plata to Santiago? I am planning to stay at Gran Almirante on business and this is the last detail I need to solve.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We took the Metro from POP to Santiago. It took about an hour.
It leaves about every hour, and is pretty much centrally located.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Metro Bus

is the cheapest way to go, also Taxis are available. The cost on the bus is really reasonable. Probably around 3 bucks USD.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tour has Bus

Caribe Tour also has a bus from Puerto Plata to Santiago. Leaves on the hour from early morning until early evening. Costs RD$50 and takes less than 1.5 hours. Buses equal to Metro in size, quality, etc.

You can also take this bus from Sosua at 20 past the hour. Metrol doesn't serve Sosua.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MasterJohn, please take a look at this

If you are coming to Santiago on business, I am going to assume that you will be arriving at the airport in POP in the morning or early afternoon.

I would suggest that you get in touch with me, so I can arrange to have you picked up at the airport.

The only way I would suggest that a businessperson take a bus is if he/she is already staying at a hotel in POP.

My reasons are the following:

It takes sometimes an hour just to get out of the airport,Immigration, getting your bags and Aduana; then you have to select a cab from among the throng there at the airport, diddle for a price, and pay a couple of hundred pesos to get to POP proper. Then you have to get a bus, take the 1.5 hr ride to the bus station here in Santiago, and then take a taxi over to the hotel. You are looking at about a four or five hour odessy.

A taxi can pick you up at the airport (Large sign with your name on it for I.D.), take you to the hotel in 1:15 hr. and you are there!
Cost is about US$35 or RD$600. if you have someone that speaks Spanish you can check with 809 581 TAXI as to the price....

Helpful HB