Seeking Punta Cana Job Info

catrice02

Oct 12, 2015
Hello, I am new to dr1. I am hoping to relocate to Punta Cana or surrounding area within the next 6 months to a year. Here in the United States, I work as a birth doula and midwife in training, but I realize this is not a very welcomed profession in the DR. I am open to suggestions and ideas for employment, with the hope of still supporting women on a voluntary basis. I am hoping someone here has some ideas, suggestions and/or connections for real employment, as well as birth work. Thanks in advance!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not a chance. Wrong country to do what you are hoping to.

You could be a bartender, maybe secure employment in a menial job at a resort or start your own operation providing some sort of service if you can figure out just what will provide you with a viable income. Other than that, not many options.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Try dropping Shalena (can't remember her user ID) a PM, she is heavily involved in that area of employment, although I think in Santiago. She will have more info than anyone else I'd think.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can not recommend that anyone move to the DR if they are in need of a job here. Do you really want to try and live here making about $300 US monthly? "Real employment" will not be an easy reality for you.

You also have to become a legal resident of the DR to be employed legally. This is process that takes time and money in itself, where you must prove economic solvency, and must be started in your home country. Before you go too far down a path you will regret, verify what it would take for you to become a legal resident. It is doubtful you would qualify for residency.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Dominican culture is overwhelmingly to give birth in hospitals. I know no one who has used the services of a midwife.

In Santo Domingo, birth preparation courses are popular. There are also special exercises classes for pregnant women offered by certain yoga studios, for instance. Ob + Gyn physicians will refer their patients to these.

I once took Iyengar Yoga classes with a Mexican woman who was here with her husband whose main job was birthing support to women (birth doula). I believe she was married to a large corporation executive and did this on the side. I remember several classes being suspended when she had a patient to support.

She left when her husband was transferred. People paid for her services in cash so the classes and the birth support operated in the informal economy.

Take note that Santo Domingo has a much broader population than Punta Cana. I would not know who her local connections were, as I only took the yoga classes. Just mentioned it so you would know you are not a first to offer birth doula services here.

I would think it would take years for you to get the referrals from the physicians and the patients. Also, wonder what kind of accreditation you would need to operate here.

Bottom line, I would think you would need another profession, savings or source of income to support yourself while you explore using this career in the DR. Even if you offered your services for free you would be trail-blazing in Punta Cana.

Of course you should do your own research, visiting private organisations such as Pro Familia, and then the government public health ministry to see who is offering your services here, and asking and asking around.

From research online there is an organization that gathers midwives in the DR:
https://www.facebook.com/MW4DR

Also check out:
http://doulasdominicana.com

https://www.physiciansforpeace.org/blog/1129

Michaela Arriaza offers doula services turning it into an entrepreneuring experience, would think targeting upscale residents, both Dominican and foreign:
www.baby.com.do

Last edited:

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Hello, I am new to dr1. I am hoping to relocate to Punta Cana or surrounding area within the next 6 months to a year. Here in the United States, I work as a birth doula and midwife in training, but I realize this is not a very welcomed profession in the DR. I am open to suggestions and ideas for employment, with the hope of still supporting women on a voluntary basis. I am hoping someone here has some ideas, suggestions and/or connections for real employment, as well as birth work. Thanks in advance!

I've been here nearly a year, working online but wanting to branch into wellness as that is my background. I too thought that with a little guidance and some connections I'd be able to work here in my field. It's hard to wrap your head around the reality of life here until you have spent some time here.
Before I came, I dismissed the naysayers, but I can honestly say that unless you are placed in a good job before you come, or unless you have another source of income, it will be very difficult to make a living. Money seems to go in one direction only: out (Dominicans are very good at extracting money from you).
Other than SD (which is not the nicest place) there is simply no market for your services within the Dominican culture. Most people are poor, and the mentality is deeply entrenched in the medical model, with the vast majority of Dominican women giving birth via C-section. You would need to market to expats or very wealthy and worldly Dominicans, and the market would be quite small.
I'd suggest working online or if you have another source of income like rental income, that would work. You probably could find some kind of job here in tourism but the pay would be awful. The cost of living is low (at least for me, compared to my city in Canada) so you don't need to earn a ton of money to survive, but you need to ask yourself if it is worth it.
I am planning on leaving shortly as I don't see any way to develop professionally here at all. Working online is convenient and pays very well compared to any job I could get here, but if I stayed, I'd probably just have to keep doing that.
This is a nice place to come to spend money and have a good time, but doesn't have much to offer beyond that. If I could do it again, I would not have moved here for full-time living.
Others may disagree.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a La Leche League group in B?varo and some alternative health clinics, which could be a starting point for making contacts. Please let me know if you would like specific contact details.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is a La Leche League group in B?varo and some alternative health clinics, which could be a starting point for making contacts. Please let me know if you would like specific contact details.

Links to find contacts nationwide to breast-feeding organisations operating locally:

lllid.org/dominicana

e-lactancia.org

mamard.org

I would think that most of the telephones will lead to people that speak English.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Try dropping Shalena (can't remember her user ID) a PM, she is heavily involved in that area of employment, although I think in Santiago. She will have more info than anyone else I'd think.

she is posting as sking.