local guaguas in Higuey/Punta Cana/Bavaro

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Hey all,

English teacher (and relative newbie at 10 months in country) from Hato Mayor here who potentially needs to travel to Centro Medico Punta Cana, being that it is one of the few hospitals in the country that my travel insurance company has a direct billing agreement with.

So I've pieced together that once I reach Higuey (no problem here) from Hato Mayor, there's a "Sitrabapu" guagua which takes you from Higuey to at least to the Punta Cana airport. Does this route continue to go up or down the coast after the airport? If not then what's the cheapest way to get from Higuey to Centro Medico using public transportation, if at all an option?

Thanks in advance....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There are regular guaguas/minibus down to the coastal town stops. Get off at the village, I dunno where the Medical centre is, but there are regulars from the village, 3 an hour during the day.

dajjorg

Sep 29, 2014
Okay, thanks Hug. I've never ventured to PC before, so are you referring to the "village" as the center of town, or to the resort (www.puntacanavillage.com)? And it's SITRABAPU that will take me from Higuey to the village?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Centro Medical is located a block from the new "Fruisa Corner". This is the corner with the new traffic lights in Bavaro. Most buses have to go by here. If you have any spanish it should be easy to get to and from. Hope this helps

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Take the bus from the terminal in Higuey (across from the Basilica). The last stop is Friusa. It is a short distance from the terminal in Friusa to Centro Medico. 10 minutes if you are walking.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take the bus from the terminal in Higuey (across from the Basilica). The last stop is Friusa. It is a short distance from the terminal in Friusa to Centro Medico. 10 minutes if you are walking.

This is the way to go. The bus will not go past Centro Medico. When you get off the bus go left to the corner where the Texaco station is. Make a right there and go past the large intersection where the traffic light is. It is just a short walk past the corner. But be aware there are 2 clinics. Yours is the second one. You can't miss it.

When you get in go to the reception area on your left.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Hey all,

English teacher (and relative newbie at 10 months in country) from Hato Mayor here who potentially needs to travel to Centro Medico Punta Cana, being that it is one of the few hospitals in the country that my travel insurance company has a direct billing agreement with.

So I've pieced together that once I reach Higuey (no problem here) from Hato Mayor, there's a "Sitrabapu" guagua which takes you from Higuey to at least to the Punta Cana airport. Does this route continue to go up or down the coast after the airport? If not then what's the cheapest way to get from Higuey to Centro Medico using public transportation, if at all an option?

Thanks in advance....

Well a lot of Sutrabapu buses take you from Higuey via veron, Bavaro to Friusa, you can in fact ask him to stop in front of Centro Medico Punta Cana. But remember you have to take a normal bus and not an express because express goes directly to the main bus station in Friusa. If you take a non express then it comes inside bavaro and Avenida Espagna where Centre Medico Punta Cana is located. charge is 110 pesos.

Feb 7, 2007

You are mixing bus lines up. Sitrabapu does not have a terminal in front of Basilica.

After you get off Hato Mayor buss, in front of Basilica, hop on a motoconcho and say "parada de Bavaro". They will take you there, ride is about 40 pesos. Your journey will take you in fort of Basilica, turning right down to Av Libertad, all the way down until you hit Shell gas station, the terminal to Bavaro is right in front of it.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Ah, ok. I have dropped my in laws off for their return trip to Mao there, I thought it was the same terminal that the bus from Friusa would have taken them to. I didn't realize that they would have had to change terminals as well as busses.