Newbie in Puerto Plata / Sos?a

GringoRuibio

Oct 14, 2015
I'm currently living in Puerto Plata with frequent trips to Sos?a. I'm 50, but often confused for a more irresponsible 35. I've been a committed traveler for years, but somehow, I managed to fall in love and I'm now loving with a woman and her son here. To be honest, I'm having trouble adjusting as I tend to treat 'la casa' as a pit stop for sleeping and eating, so I'm not doing a great job adjusting to a more sedentary family life. My Spanish is shaky, but passable and improving as I adjust to the dialect from Central America.

Everyone thinks that I'm a German which is a good guess as I speak the language and grew up in a German community stateside. I even spent a year in Germany.

If you're in the area, feel free to reach out. I'd love to trade notes or even meet up for an expat night out.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1

No offense meant, but I hope your spoken Spanish is better than your spelling, it's "rubio" :) :)

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
If he spends the amount of time he says he does in Sosua, he doesn't need to reach out to expats for a night out. Sosua is full of expats. One would think he would know that.
Sock puppet maybe?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Willkommen, GR!! Just curious, where did you live in Germany? The family life doesn't have to be sedentary. Just find some common interests and enjoy them together.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I'm currently living in Puerto Plata with frequent trips to Sos?a. I'm 50, but often confused for a more irresponsible 35. I've been a committed traveler for years, but somehow, I managed to fall in love and I'm now loving with a woman and her son here. To be honest, I'm having trouble adjusting as I tend to treat 'la casa' as a pit stop for sleeping and eating, so I'm not doing a great job adjusting to a more sedentary family life. My Spanish is shaky, but passable and improving as I adjust to the dialect from Central America.

Everyone thinks that I'm a German which is a good guess as I speak the language and grew up in a German community stateside. I even spent a year in Germany.

If you're in the area, feel free to reach out. I'd love to trade notes or even meet up for an expat night out.

herzlich willkommen an bord.

Mike

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I moved in with a woman and her son last year,lasted four months,couldn't do it. I'm 58 and the thought of buying diapers and formula at that age just didn't cut it,I am moving to Sosua next week,pm me if you want to get together for a beer.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I moved in with a woman and her son last year,lasted four months,couldn't do it. I'm 58 and the thought of buying diapers and formula at that age just didn't cut it,I am moving to Sosua next week,pm me if you want to get together for a beer.

Excellent insight Tom. Never had kids (by choice) and at age 66 don't want to take on someone else's family. Twoshort term relationships with young DR women confirmed that. They want kids. It's a wise person that knows hisor her limitations. Besides I'm basically a child at heart. Any woman brave enough to take me on would just
have another child on her hands.