Long Term Car Rental

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So, my '91 Montero finally kicked the bucket.

I've been renting a 2001 CRV for $500 a month. I was told, from someone on here, that I am paying too much.

We're only staying another 10 months, so I don't really want to buy something.

Should I be looking for a better deal? Where can I get a better deal? I don't want to pay anymore than I already am, but something a little newer and bigger would be nice.

If I find a good enough deal on a nice car, I'd be looking to rent from November until next August.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
10 month left = 5000 usd
5000*45.10 = 225k

I think you can easily by a CRV or Rav4 98~2000 around that price.

40k more and you have your own CRV
http://emarket.do/anuncio/vendo-crv-americana-2000-5896547.html?results=1
*I do not own this vehicle.

I know. But then I am the owner of a crappy old, rode hard, SUV. It'll fall apart, I'll have to fix it constantly, buy tires, insurance, matricula, and then have to try to sell said crappy old car.

Now, if anything goes wrong I just hand it off to the rental dude.

You're not wrong though. It is $5k I'm throwing away.

Oh, and the important part. I don't have an extra $5-6 thousand at the moment, and I only got $1,000 for the ol' Montero. So, I'm broke too.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Why not get a driver that has a nice car? I'm not a "car guy" at all and would be at the mercy of any mechanic. With a driver, it is his responsibility to keep it working, find the destination and, at times, it gives a semblance of security. Also, it is a savings for the many days we don't need a car. It just seems so much easier and stress-free.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you are on the north coast go see Gary at Spankys in Sosua. He has about 6-8 cars and is MUCH cheaper than the big name guys.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
If you are on the north coast go see Gary at Spankys in Sosua. He has about 6-8 cars and is MUCH cheaper than the big name guys.

Thanks Gary, I'll go see Gary :cheeky:

Gary, should I talk to Gary about renting a car or buying a car. What kinda business does Gary of Spankys do?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I don't know about Sos?a, but in Puerto Plata taxis charge 150 pesos in most of the city. Even with going to work and school, round trip, that is 600 pesos a day or 3000 for a five day week. With the tasa at 45, the work and school trips are under $70 US a week.

Wouldn't that be much cheaper than $500 a month rental, especially if you don't have to pay insurance, fuel, etc?

Also, my taxi driver likes having a regular customer, and discounts the charge per trip in order to guarantee himself daily customers.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
To have a reliable car at you disposal for under $17 a day and not have the hassle of insurance, maintenance, plates etc seems kinda reasonable to me. And as you stated you don't have to try to sell it once your gone.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If its sound car and the AC works well it sounds like a bargain. I would just try to negotiate it down a little.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Convincing a gringo to give up their immediate mobility is harder than pulling teeth. For comparison, assuming $10K to buy a reasonable vehicle and not taking into account gas, insurance, repair or any other expense considerations:

If I need a car, I take a cab or in very rare instances rent one. In just over a year and five trips to SD, about the same number of trips into POP, a few runs for larger amounts of beer, dog food and other heavy/bulky stuff that doesn't suite the moto, I have spent almost $1100. At this rate I figure I have about 7 more years to go before I spend the money that would be needed for a vehicle of my own. Anything I buy for 10K probably won't be on the road after seven years anyways.

Find a couple of good drivers, with good vehicles and it's like you live on Fifth Ave. You ring your driver to bring your car around and out the door you go. Works for me, but I do not have a love affair with an expensive chunk of metal and don't mind having to make a call 30 minutes before I wish to go somewhere local or the day before when I wish to search for Bohemia peque?as along the Haitian border.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
following Buster - the more you use that driver system, the better it will work.

Didin't somebody else suggest the same thing - la Profe ?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks Gary, I'll go see Gary :cheeky:

Gary, should I talk to Gary about renting a car or buying a car. What kinda business does Gary of Spankys do?

He rents the cars out but I believe that they are all for sale as well.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Convincing a gringo to give up their immediate mobility is harder than pulling teeth. For comparison, assuming $10K to buy a reasonable vehicle and not taking into account gas, insurance, repair or any other expense considerations:

If I need a car, I take a cab or in very rare instances rent one. In just over a year and five trips to SD, about the same number of trips into POP, a few runs for larger amounts of beer, dog food and other heavy/bulky stuff that doesn't suite the moto, I have spent almost $1100. At this rate I figure I have about 7 more years to go before I spend the money that would be needed for a vehicle of my own. Anything I buy for 10K probably won't be on the road after seven years anyways.

Find a couple of good drivers, with good vehicles and it's like you live on Fifth Ave. You ring your driver to bring your car around and out the door you go. Works for me, but I do not have a love affair with an expensive chunk of metal and don't mind having to make a call 30 minutes before I wish to go somewhere local or the day before when I wish to search for Bohemia peque?as along the Haitian border.

I agree. Much cheaper and more efficient, not to mention the chances of poor service when needed. Our friend's brakes were going and needed replacement. The mechanic suggested it would be easier to get a louder horn.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
louder horn....

that is sooo lower Dominican..... I can hear it now.

What used to dumbfound me... and be burned into my brain....
is now so commonplace that I can't recount my stories at parties.

My friends always ask - What happened this year?
and now I can't call it to mind... just everyday happenings.

The rock weight belt in the pool is history
The bags of manure and 6 Doms on the car roof... ancient history