New Member Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I've been to most of the Islands over the years and gravitated towards the DR about six years ago when I
retired. I quickly developed a circle of local and ex-pat friends and learned the local customs to the point where I feel relatively safe renting cars and touring the small towns and diverse countryside.

A few Canadian friends were hasty and bought houses and have lived to regret it. I spend about 5 months here, December to April and bought a membership in a resort at Playa Dorada. It's not a time share and I can stay as
long as I want. I get a small villa and they charge me a very low rate for Al fees. No villas fees, decent food,
clean, and safe. Not a bad deal for a newbie. I don't have to maintain anything and I never worry about water to electricity. A good first step until I decide if I'm going to live here full time.

As with most islands, Canada, and the USA, there are good and bad people and places. By and large, most of
the Dominicans I see treat with me with respect and I reciprocate. The crime rate here is no better or worse thanother Islands or South American countries. I've travelled the world, and can honestly say, by keeping my wits
about me, I've been able to avoid dangerous or life threatening situations.

I'm 66 years old and have had two interesting short term relationships with younger Dominican women. I learned a few lessons, and still have my self respect and wallet intact. I limit my DR relationships to women from Canada, the USA, Britain and Germany. Less complicated and risky.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Welcome to DR 1 Ecoman. Enjoy your retirement.

Thanks. Spend a fair bit of time in Luperon. Friends with casas there. Prefer the less frenzied pace of the small
towns. Excellent fish at the local cafes. I play guitar and one of my friends plays mandolin. We play for beer at the local bars. After 4 Boheme Grandes, even I think I sound great!

The only thing I miss during my winter stay is my BMW 1300KGT sport touring motorcycle. If I live here long term,I'm not bringing it here. I'd be dead in a heartbeat. First time I rented a car here, I died a thousand deaths
between Playa Dorada and Luperon. Now, I just do my own thing, sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery. I always get the extra liability insurance in case I hit a local. For the most part they are good drivers, especially the one's
on the motos. Very alert and quick witted. They just don't obey the rules of the road. Once you come to terms with that, you have good Karma.

Will arrive in the DR on Dec 24th. for Xmas and New Years. The weather is still decent in Eastern Canada but it's
cooler now and the days are a lot shorter. That's the one thing I really like about the DR. Even amounts of daylightand darkness.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Ecoman, welcome to DR1!! Your reasonable, positive outlook on the DR has provided you a great experience here. The fact that you' ve traveled the world gives you some perspective and is a welcome addition to DR1. My wife and I have traveled quite extensively and have settled here as well.

I am also driving adverse and enjoy the scenery. My interesting relationship with a Dominican woman is entering its 27th year and each day has been a wonderful, fulfilling dream, so don't rule anything out. haha!

Continue to enjoy yourself and I look forward to your insights.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Interested in knowing the price of a membership and which resort. I was there once in one the resorts that isn't on the beach. Can't remember name

Welcome to DR1

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks. Spend a fair bit of time in Luperon. Friends with casas there. Prefer the less frenzied pace of the small
towns. Excellent fish at the local cafes. I play guitar and one of my friends plays mandolin. We play for beer at the local bars. After 4 Boheme Grandes, even I think I sound great!

The only thing I miss during my winter stay is my BMW 1300KGT sport touring motorcycle. If I live here long term,I'm not bringing it here. I'd be dead in a heartbeat. First time I rented a car here, I died a thousand deaths
between Playa Dorada and Luperon. Now, I just do my own thing, sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery. I always get the extra liability insurance in case I hit a local. For the most part they are good drivers, especially the one's
on the motos. Very alert and quick witted. They just don't obey the rules of the road. Once you come to terms with that, you have good Karma.

Will arrive in the DR on Dec 24th. for Xmas and New Years. The weather is still decent in Eastern Canada but it's
cooler now and the days are a lot shorter. That's the one thing I really like about the DR. Even amounts of daylightand darkness.
The ride from playa dorado to luperon is very peaceful except for a little stretch in pop. You should drive in the capital.

Welcome, Luperon is great!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ecoman, welcome to DR1!! Your reasonable, positive outlook on the DR has provided you a great experience here. The fact that you' ve traveled the world gives you some perspective and is a welcome addition to DR1. My wife and I have traveled quite extensively and have settled here as well.

I am also driving adverse and enjoy the scenery. My interesting relationship with a Dominican woman is entering its 27th year and each day has been a wonderful, fulfilling dream, so don't rule anything out. haha!

Continue to enjoy yourself and I look forward to your insights.

Gracias Amigo,

Don't know about insights. In my professional life I worked in the Environmental Sciences and lived on
adrenaline for 31 years as a member of an Emergency Response team to small and large scale environmental
disasters both National and International. I've been a witness to death and disasters on a large scale. If
anything,It's made me realize the importance of living for and in the moment (Buddhist Philosophy) I prefer to
live a quiet life now, help those I can, and truly appreciate the fact that I'm still healthy, and relatively sane. I
don't believe in heaven or hell in the biblical sense. I believe we make our own heaven and hells here on earth. As a lapsed Catholic, I tend to agree with Christopher Hitchen's thesis that God is not great and religion poisonseverything.

I've been divorced since 2000 and don't have children. I never rule out the possibility of romance being just
around the corner. Staying at a resort gives me ample opportunity to meet women. The resort is frequented by a lot of Dominican women on the weekends so I have a broad (pardon the pun) spectrum to choose from. I
have to say that dating younger women can be a real ego booster but hard on my wallet at times.

Enjoy your day.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Interested in knowing the price of a membership and which resort. I was there once in one the resorts that isn't on the beach. Can't remember name

Welcome to DR1
Hello Anna,
I paid $3000 for a membership at POP Village about three years ago. You get a two bed refurbished villa, $40 aday AI fee, free wi-fi. Food is excellent. It's an older resort, about three stars, but the place is immaculate and
the beach is across the road so it's quiet during the week. DR families move in on the weekend and it can get
loud. I like the DR families so I don't mind it. Members have a special eating area and they have a Mexican andItalian a la carte restaurants open at various times during the week. Very safe area with a mall nearby and two good medical clinics. I'll be there on Dec 25th. If your interested you can spend a day or two there under my
membership in a villa and get a feel for the place. I'm single and I would be charged $300 to $500 a week
extra because I'm using a room for two people. I got my money back in six weeks and I've been spending the winters there for three years. Sweet!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The ride from playa dorado to luperon is very peaceful except for a little stretch in pop. You should drive in the capital.

Welcome, Luperon is great!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Usually drive through POP along the Malecon. Much quieter than going through the main area of POP. Only time I ever had to stop was when I came across an overturned truck carrying chickens. Blood, ****, and chickens
running every where. Free entertainment. Ya gotta love it!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Welcome aboard Ecoman. So about $1200 per month and no grocery bill, not bad and you get to live in a resort. Definitely some outside the box thinking which has paid off.

Booze is also included in the $40 AI daily fee. It's typical Brugal resort booze. Not great. Presidente is the beer
standard there. As a member I get access to Boheme which is more like Canadian beer and I get my Captain
Morgan dark rum at La Sirena.

If I head to Luperon for a few days they don't charge me the daily fee. Daily maid service and I tip them so my
laundry is done once a week for a very small fee. If I purchase a vehicle, I can keep it there free of charge while I'm back in Canada for the summer. I'll just leave it in the parking lot next to the security gate.

A short walk to a bus stop and I use the local minivans to get to Sosua, Costambar, etc. Love them. Good way to meet the locals and always an adventure. Budget car rental is about 5 minutes walk from resort for car trips to
Luperon.

I'm a runner and usually up by 6:30AM pounding the pavement. I run on the golf cart pathways, main resort looproad and the Main Street outside Playa Dorada. Love the area. Fell and skinned my elbows last year. Dropped in
to the local clinic and was patched up by a gorgeous young local nurse. She didn't charge me! I dropped back
and gave her a $20 tip. She was amazed. Really great people!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Need newest info on chikungunya virus spread in the DR. Three friends in Luperon contracted it at the same time last year. One had complications and died last January. The other two are back in Canada and still dealing with the after effects. I take the
usual precautions when I'm in the countryside. Is the Chik V declining or increasing? Are there any hotspots? Been on the WHO and CDC sites but they don't give specifics.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Need newest info on chikungunya virus spread in the DR. Three friends in Luperon contracted it at the same time last year. One had complications and died last January. The other two are back in Canada and still dealing with the after effects. I take the
usual precautions when I'm in the countryside. Is the Chik V declining or increasing? Are there any hotspots? Been on the WHO and CDC sites but they don't give specifics.

It's like everything else, you may get it or not... You can do so much to protect yourself and the rest is up in the air... Been here for 4 years now and the mosquitoes still love my Qu?bec blood... But so far, I'm still good.

I know many people who got the Dengue fever 2 years ago. Funny, it was all men... They were pretty sick. Heard of a few posters on DR1 that got the chikungunya last year.

And welcome also on DR1. You have a good approach of the life here. You have to take the good, leave the bad and don't worry with the crazy. That's my philosophy. I love it here and adapted pretty well. I bitch when something goes wrong, but mostly, I fit darn well in that mentality. I was kinda of a misfit in Qu?bec so here ? I fit.

Enjoy your next stay and have fun.

Lise

Apr 7, 2014
Hello Anna,
I paid $3000 for a membership at POP Village about three years ago. You get a two bed refurbished villa, $40 aday AI fee, free wi-fi. Food is excellent. It's an older resort, about three stars, but the place is immaculate and
the beach is across the road so it's quiet during the week. DR families move in on the weekend and it can get
loud. I like the DR families so I don't mind it. Members have a special eating area and they have a Mexican andItalian a la carte restaurants open at various times during the week. Very safe area with a mall nearby and two good medical clinics. I'll be there on Dec 25th. If your interested you can spend a day or two there under my
membership in a villa and get a feel for the place. I'm single and I would be charged $300 to $500 a week
extra because I'm using a room for two people. I got my money back in six weeks and I've been spending the winters there for three years. Sweet!
I stayed at POP village a few weeks ago and it is nice. Not too fancy but pleasant. It isnt competitive with the other resorts but for guys like you it is a perfect fit. I thought they should do what you are doing.

The food is so-so but its not deplorable. I got a deal on Expedia and actually Id go there again.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I stayed at POP village a few weeks ago and it is nice. Not too fancy but pleasant. It isnt competitive with the other resorts but for guys like you it is a perfect fit. I thought they should do what you are doing.

The food is so-so but its not deplorable. I got a deal on Expedia and actually Id go there again.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

We now have enough ex-pat members to pressure the management to upgrade the place for us. Separate dining area, separate area around the pool, etc. They hired the former membership manager who worked at Grand
Ventana. Paid him to come out of and upgrade the membership facilities. He hosts membership appreciation
parties once every two weeks, listens to our concerns and truly appreciates the business we bring to POP Village. It's quiet and clean and it's a good interim step for me until I decide where and what I want to buy. Even if I buy a house, I can stay their anytime I wish and keep in touch with the other members.

Enjoy your day.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It's like everything else, you may get it or not... You can do so much to protect yourself and the rest is up in the air... Been here for 4 years now and the mosquitoes still love my Qu?bec blood... But so far, I'm still good.

I know many people who got the Dengue fever 2 years ago. Funny, it was all men... They were pretty sick. Heard of a few posters on DR1 that got the chikungunya last year.

And welcome also on DR1. You have a good approach of the life here. You have to take the good, leave the bad and don't worry with the crazy. That's my philosophy. I love it here and adapted pretty well. I bitch when something goes wrong, but mostly, I fit darn well in that mentality. I was kinda of a misfit in Qu?bec so here ? I fit.

Thanks for the info Lise. It was really sad for me to see my friend from Ontario die last year. He lived in Luperon for 26 years,
he had a real estate business and boat brokerage and had a son with his DR lady who he finally married two years ago. All in allnot a bad 26 years. I'm from Newfoundland so imagine how much of a misfit I am here! One grandmother who has English
ancestors and my mother's grandmother who was a Benoit and has First Nations blood in her as well. Plus I was born on July 12th, Orangemen's Day, the biggest Protestant holiday of the year, and my mother baptized me in the Catholic Church. I don't
know if I'm coming or going from one day to the next.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Morning a Tea Quest

Welcome to DR 1 Ecoman. Enjoy your retirement.
Thanks for the welcome. Looking for a place to buy moringa tea. Used to buy it at Tropical. Cheryl carried severalkinds. The lemon and mango flavoured were my favourite. All I can find now is moringa powder used as a
natural medicine. University of Hawaii has done a tremendous amount of research on moringa. It has an
incredible amount of nutrients in it. Any idea where I could find bagged moringa tea?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Former Tropical?

jose luis supermarket in POP has a variety of teas with moringa. from pure plant to teas with lemon, mint and so on. about 200 pesos per packet of 20.

Is that the former Tropical.? I checked there several times last winter and only found the powdered moringa.
They did have a good selection of other teas. He has another store in POP on the Main Street towards the
outskirts of POP, doesn't he? Is that where the tea is available?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
By the way, I was based in Halifax Nova Scotia for 18 years. Worked with USCG, NOAA, and USEPA HAZ MAT teams on joint
response contingency planning and joint spill response on the East and West coast. Shoreline impact assessment and coastal
geomorphology were my specialty on the joint shoreline cleanup and assessment team. Always treated well by my US
colleagues. They always appreciated our ability to dismiss the red tape and assist them with our teams and remote sensing
aircraft at a moments notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.