Visitor Visa for USA

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So, my situation is that I'm living here in the DR (no residency, I'm just on the $10 tourism license) and I have a dominican girlfriend that I'd like to have travel with me to the United States (family, work, tourism).

How do I get her a visa? I've done some internet searches and such and it's all from the perspective of somebody with a residence in the United States asking somebody outside the United States to come and visit.

It seems everybody here (locals) is an immigration lawyer, so they are all ready to jump in an help with an answer which I like to call "proof by vigorous assertion". But I haven't found a consistent thread. Should I just show up at the consulate and ask?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lots of threads about this - if she doesn't have a good job, own a home, have serious ties to DR, it's unlikely she'll get a tourist visa. Too many Dominicans have overstayed their tourist visas to the US, and have ruined it for others.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
As AlterEgo said, the odds are slim to none unless she has very strong ties to the DR (job, house, family).

Realistically, if you really want to get her to the US you'll have to marry her.

Apr 7, 2014
Lots of threads about this - if she doesn't have a good job, own a home, have serious ties to DR, it's unlikely she'll get a tourist visa. Too many Dominicans have overstayed their tourist visas to the US, and have ruined it for others.
Fiance visa might be what he is looking for. Of course, it will be a one time thing for her and he will be obligated to marry her within 90 days.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
what insanely one said. Otherwise its slim to none for all the reasons everyone gave. been there done that. Even with ties to the DR its very difficult. I had tons of ties. Hard to imagine how someone could have more ties. Told no. No reason is given other than "in the eyes of the interviewer your wife is ineligible for a visitor visa". Nearly every Dominican that got a visit visa and set foot on US soil never came back to the DR. Would you?

Apr 13, 2011
Either do the fiance visa if you are serious about marrying her.

If just a girlfriend and only a tourist visa, then she needs as many assets as possible in the DR in her name that will demonstrate that she will return. And she should not mention that she has an American boyfriend (not even a recommendation from you), because they will then assume that she is trying to stay in the US, even if she is not, and will deny a tourist visa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing about colour and everything about the number of people who abuse the visa by overstaying.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So, my situation is that I'm living here in the DR (no residency, I'm just on the $10 tourism license) and I have a dominican girlfriend that I'd like to have travel with me to the United States (family, work, tourism).

How do I get her a visa? I've done some internet searches and such and it's all from the perspective of somebody with a residence in the United States asking somebody outside the United States to come and visit.

It seems everybody here (locals) is an immigration lawyer, so they are all ready to jump in an help with an answer which I like to call "proof by vigorous assertion". But I haven't found a consistent thread. Should I just show up at the consulate and ask?

Here is a thread that might help you get organized, http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/145943-US-visa-obtained-easily

Keep in mind that the poster in the above thread does have very strong ties in the DR, his girlfriend is the mother of his child and they were traveling together.

Good luck

PS when you say "work" do you mean for her or yourself because she cant work on a visitor visa.

Link to http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/niv-e.html

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Never ceases to amaze me at how discriminating the U.S. State Department is at letting Dominicans into the U.S., even for tourist visits, but, yet, allow GB and French and German citizens into the U.S. on a whim...could there be a "brown" predjudice?

There is a colour prejudice alright- it is dollar green. Poor countries - Visa required.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
If you aren't serious enough for a fianc? visa you can try the tourist visa. It is likely she won't get a tourist visa. It is the same questions job, money , own property, etc.

Most have large families so that won't count for much. If they are older and have kids and or grandkids in the DR that would be better.

I did get two of my in laws over here on a tourist visa. They got the 10 year visa and could stay for up to 6 months. They stayed 6 weeks and returned to the Dominican. I am applying right now for two other in laws to visit here. You can read how to appply online. You do not need an attorney.

If you try the tourist visa you will be out the cost of the visa and the travel expense to santo Domingo and back unless she lives in the capital. Right now the next appointment would be later then November 17th for a tourist. We just scheduled and looked at the calendar. You pick the appointment first then the can do the fingerprints the same day or an early day. We do the fingerprints the same day and it is a minimum two hours before your appointment.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I married a Dominicana, but she all ready had her green card. We have been together for more than 20 years. The single best decision I ever made.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
How old is she? It seems like they give the tourist visa more easily to older women (60 plus). I also know women in their 40s with visas, but they have good jobs, money, etc.

She's a sweet 28. :classic: But, she has a child and owns a house. She has a cousin in Miami that has been trying to get her a visitor visa and her mother has one, but as someone pointed it, it might actually hurt her chances to have a US boyfriend.

I did this before when I was very naive. On the isle of Grenada, I met a wonderful woman and although we never were boyfriend/girlfriend, no sex, nothing (I was into her, but she wisely turned me down), she was willing to show me her country and introduce me to her family. I loved the visit and thought that I'd return the favor. The visa application turned into an awful, awful experience for her. It was really a bad, bad introduction to the USA, and I was/am personally ashamed of my country. 6 years later, we're still good friends, but that experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather not repeat that experience.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
PS when you say "work" do you mean for her or yourself because she cant work on a visitor visa.

My work. I end up on projects that last several months in the USA or Europe. I suspect Europe would an even more difficult nut to crack.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I assume that it was turned down because she came from a developing country?

I'm okay with them turning her down, that was a risk. What bothered me was that they acted like sadists and enjoyed their power over other people. These were not nice people or respectful professionals. It was their behavior that I found totally unacceptable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
She's a sweet 28. :classic: But, she has a child and owns a house. She has a cousin in Miami that has been trying to get her a visitor visa and her mother has one, but as someone pointed it, it might actually hurt her chances to have a US boyfriend.

I did this before when I was very naive. On the isle of Grenada, I met a wonderful woman and although we never were boyfriend/girlfriend, no sex, nothing (I was into her, but she wisely turned me down), she was willing to show me her country and introduce me to her family. I loved the visit and thought that I'd return the favor. The visa application turned into an awful, awful experience for her. It was really a bad, bad introduction to the USA, and I was/am personally ashamed of my country. 6 years later, we're still good friends, but that experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'd rather not repeat that experience.

It is not a "might" that having you for a boyfriend will hurt her chances. It is almost a certainty that it will disqualify her from a visa if that is the reason for it. Having close relatives already in the US is another negative. Unless you like deja vu, I would recommend against wasting the time and money and repeating the frustration you already experienced.

Apr 13, 2011
My work. I end up on projects that last several months in the USA or Europe. I suspect Europe would an even more difficult nut to crack.

I have heard that it can be easier for a Dominicana to get a European visa than a US Visa. The US seems to be more suspect about fraudulent applications, therefor is quicker to reject applications that have a hint of suspicion, even if it is legit.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Might also be that the European consulates are no charged with paying their own way like the US.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Save your money. DON'T HIRE AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER.. You don't need one. There are basic requirements for getting a tourist visa for a Dominicana. She must have a longstanding bank account in good standing. She must also either own a business or own a home in her name in the DR.

For everything you ever wanted to know about getting a visa for a Dominican, search online for " dominicanstotheusa.com" D-mo can answer any and all questions.

Good Luck.. You're going to need it.